General Thoughts about the team

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
JSULL60

General Thoughts about the team

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Last year Patty credited her teams sucess to having played the Battle Series. We know how the season played out. So as the old saying goes. "If it aint broke dont fix it.
It"
So this year we have a slightly different format, which is entertaining to watch. I have watched the first Battle Series 2 times and have some general thoughts.
The way Patty recruits and gets prime transfers, every year ywe 2 or 3 new comers be it freshmen and or transfers who play key roles in the Sooners winning championships.
This year maybe more so.
I will start with freshmen. When I saw these grls on the fieldthey look like they already have in OUs strength and coconditioning program for a year or 2.
Maya Bland: I saw a You Tube interview with her and was very impressed so I was even more interested in seeing her play than at first. Seeing her in uniform, you can see her power and athletiscism. When Maya blasted the home run off off of May, she showed her power. Maya played well in the field. She misplayed 2 balls. Ine on a very tough diving play when the ball got past her. She missed one play when she was playing second base which I dont think is her nature position. Maya did make ggod plays in the outfield.
Maya is very talented. Once gets a little better at getting to those tough fly balls like Jayda Coleman, she will push Whoever is starting in RF or LF. Probably wont start this year but for sure will have chance next year.
Ella Parker:
Patty said she could be the next Alo. You can bet Parker has studies every bit of Alo's game. Her approach at the plate plate. The way she takes a warm up swing. Even her physique and the way she pulls her hair back reminds you of Alo. What was the most imressive was the way she went down for a low pitch and knocked almost to the wall was also vinnige Alo. I look for Parker to play DP and somtimes alternate with Sanders at first base.
Kasidi Pickering:
After hearing Pattys comments and other peoples comment s about her , I thought she would start in RF. After seeing her play, I am more covinced. I think she could have a similar impact as a freshman that Jayda Coleman and Tiare Jennings did. She has both the power at the plate which she wasted no time in showing. She is very rakende in the OF even though misplayed one ball.
Nelly McEnroe-Marinas:
Some people had thought that Nelly would land the SS starting job. She came here with being a known power hitter. Unfortunately her leg injury for right now will keep her out of that race atlesst for right now. She toook some at
at bats and didnt reach. Patty said she was hitting nukes with the brace on. Nelly will make a big impact on this team once her leg heals.
Transfers:
Kelly Maxwell:
Of all the transfer pitchers, the most is expected from her atleast for this year. Kelly has walked into very tough situation. She has essentiallyreplaced Jordy Bahl, who is onconsidered the best pitcher in the country if not right there with Kennedy. Kelly Maxwell does not have to be Jordy Bahl for OU to win a 4th consective NC. She will plenty good enough along wth the other pichers with a batting lineup that may be better than last year and a defense just as good.
Paytn Monticelli:
She pitched well. She is currently 3rd in the point stranding. When she came hear , it was thought she would red shirt sinch there are 5 other pitchers. This could still happen. It may depend on how Karlie Keeney finger heals and how she performs when she comes back. Paytn has all the tools to become a creat pitcher. Power and movement.
Rocha is a master at developing pitchers.
Karlie Keeney:
Her broken finger is a big disappointment. Even though she should be healed by the time the season starts. Where she lands in the rotation will remain unknown for a few months
Riley Ludlam;
Backup catcher. Patty has to find out if she can man the backup catcher spot in a championship manner. If not, Torres may start to get some time there.
Pitching Rotation;
Most people are saying the top 3 are May, Maxwell and Deal.All 3 of them got roughed up a bit by OUs potent hitters.
Again, this lineup found a way to hit every pitcher they faced last year. You dont get a 61-1 record otherwise.
SJ pitched well and now the questin is will she get a bigger role than anticipated. Patty has mentioned using a starter, mddle releiver and closer . It will be fun to see they are all used.
Short Stop:
Despite her current offensive limitations. I still
hink aAvery Hodge gets the nod. She has defensive skills close to Grace Lyons. There are other candidates who can man the position most notably Jennings. I would think that would only happen if Hodge is not starting at 2nd base
Hannah Coor;
It was good to see Coor back on the field and swing8
the bats. She laid down a nice bunt and beat it out..
She has put on some muscle. She did play some at the hot ccorner. If her power showes up, her defensive skills could get her much more playing opportunity.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Your assessment, JSull, is spot on. We've all been around softball and watched it enough to realize when the new recruits are indeed outstanding, and we're not just being hopeful fans. That's the case now. With so many talented players on the roster, I don't think we'll see a settled starting lineup till mid-season and maybe not even then. The permutations of who plays short, third, second, and right field are endless. Only thing you can take for a certainty is that Jennings and Britto will always be starters somewhere. Hodge indeed is an outstanding defensive player and her bat may come around. In the past, Patty has used defensive shortstops, so Hodge will likely see significant time. With the pitching staff, Patty has really created a problem for herself. Six starters and no weak sisters. She'll find a way to make it all work.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Kudos to 'JSULL60' on his post and comments. I agree with him in almost every way.

The Freshmen:
Bland - I actually thought Bland would be a little thicker until I saw her this summer playing. At one time in her career, she was a power-hitting SS. I think she can play the outfield well. At night, it can be tough to pick the ball up off the bat at times. I think that affected Bland a couple times in the first game. She will get that figured out. Imagine a player that does what Boone does while hitting 10 - 12 HRs. That may be Bland.

Pickering - I have thought that she will start in RF for a while now in 2024. I am still trying to figure out why she did not catch the ball that Jennings hit. She was right there. But she has played a lot of CF and adjusting to the angles in RF (of LF) is a difference and an adjustment. She will figure it out. Offensively, Pickering is ready, more than ready. She could be a better version of Nicole Pendley, I think. More walks, more steals and as much power, maybe more.

Parker - It is easy to forget that at one time Parker was a LHP that played 1B to keep her bat in the lineup. Then she became an everyday OF. I thought she played a good defensive 1B in the first game. Good enough to earn playing time there. She can always DP and maybe even see some time in LF. Parker will hit. I like all your thoughts about Alo/Parker being alike in the batter's box and style. When Parker hits the first HR, she will be off and running full speed. She could be the #5 hitter this year following, Coleman, Jennings, Hansen and Sanders. Maybe the #4 hitter.

NellieMac (McEnroe-Marinas) - Okay, I was disappointed with her three Ks in the first game. But those Ks were against May (twice) and Monticelli. NellieMac swung right thru the ball three of four times. I do not think she swung at a bad pitch either. I think she will hit, remembering the 'nukes' comment by Coach Gasso. Her knee rehab will hurt her in the field. I was hoping maybe at SS, but now, I think it will be most likely at 3B as she works her way back. Right now, I am optimistic about NellieMac, but it is a wait-n-see thing for now.

Transfers:
Maxwell - She threw well and did not get many calls on the edge of the plate. Remember that most of these Sooners have seen Maxwell for 3 seasons with really good scouting. She will likely be less effective against OU than almost anyone else who she pitches against. It is correct to say, that Maxwell does not have to be Jordy Bahl. But she can be Kelly Maxwell and with the OU defense that will be a better version of Maxwell. Having a 4 or 5 run lead all the time will make her better also. I did miss her picking a K in the game though.

Monticelli - She also threw well. If she can get that down and in pitch to RH Batters working, she can be very effective I think. I did not see a great deal of movement though on her other pitches though. There was some, but not the type that makes people swing and miss routinely. I also thought she might red-shirt in 2024. That is still possible but maybe she can help in 2024 in short appearences right now.

Keeney - Seeing that her broken finger is the pinkie finger, I think there is no problem with her return now. the little finger is not that important to a grip on a softball by a pitcher. If it was her index finger or her long finger, yes that is an issue. So I am optimistic, but she will miss the time working with Coach Rocha I think. I still wish I knew if a 5th year Senior playing her free Covid Season can red-shirt and come back for the 2025 season. If that is a possibility, and Monticelli and Geurin can prove to be valuable in 2024, I like the idea of Keeney being around in 2025. I like it alot. Deal, Kenney, Lowry and Monticelli/Geurin is a good start for 2025.

Ludlum - After walking back to the bench after looking at three called strikes from May in her first at bat, things got better. In her sec0nd at bat, she grounded out to 2B on the second pitch frm Maxwell. In her third at bat, she hit a lazy fly ball to 2B on the 3rd pitch from Maxwell. In her 4th at bat, she hit into a line drive double play on the fourth pitch from Monticelli. Once she gets the bat out in front against the Sooner pitchers, she will have a better chance to hit. Defensively, I saw nothing to make me think she will throw out 75% of the runners stealing second base. That is probably where the rubber meets the road for Ludlum. I need to see more of her catching.

Pitching:
Yes, Deal gave up four runs, May gave up 2 and Maxwell gave up one. 7 runs in 12 innings of pitching to the Sooners - Lyons + 4 freshman and a transfer is not all that bad. That is an ERA of 4.08, and 0.58 runs allowed per inning. In 2023, the Sooners produced 8.08 runs per game, 1.35 runs/inning played and the opposing team had an 8.19 ERA against the Sooners. So the Sooner trio was over twice as good as the opposing teams in 2023 which was a very tough schedule of teams (#1 RPI ranking). Remember that Sooner hitters see their pitchers every day.

SS:
I have said several times that the Sooners can win with a Brito 3B, Hodge 2B and Jennings 2B lineup. But having Hodge bat 8th and Boone bat 9th is not optimal for the offense. I believe the opening day lineup in Puerto Vallarta will be Torres 3B, Brito SS, Jennings 2B. But if Torres does not re-discover her power swing that she showed at Arizona State maybe it is her that sits and Hodge plays with the Brito 3B, Hodge 2B and Jennings 2B lineup. If that is true, then maybe NellieMac has more of a chance to play 3B with Brito at SS.

Others:
Coor did look like the very fast defensive player that we have seen. But her bat is still probably a weak spot.

Boone had a very quiet night. But it is not show time yet. She shines in the spotlight.

Coleman is so much thicker than she was as a freshman. I would think she has put on 30 pounds of good muscle at least since the first time she stepped on Marita Hynes. She is game ready right now. The same is true for Jennings. I thought Jennings has taken on a whole new role on the team this season. She was talking, correcting, teaching all night long. Hansen was Hansen behind the plate. She can play 1B. She was teaching and learning all night also. Hodge can play defense but she still needs seasoning as a starter on a defense. That first step or instinct is critical. Her bat has to be a threat also. Torres has to hit more I think. Her defense is enough to make her a starter, but her bat needs to help her stay there.

Lilio - I have a thought about her not being dressed. She was wearing that walking boot much of the season and if I remember right it was something like a stress fracture that she was playing with but wearing the boot when not on the field. Credit to her for doing so. Maybe she had some work done on that injury and she is not back to 100% yet. I thought she was moving fairly well but only at 1/3 speed. I wonder if she plays this fall at all.

Sanders - I hope she plays on Monday. I hope she plays well on Monday. The Sooners need her bat to be the one she yielded as a freshman in the desert at Arizona State. All season.

Monday's lineup:

CF Coleman (Coor as a reserve RF)
2B Jennings
1B Sanders
C Hansen (Ludlum as a reserve)
SS Brito
DP Parker (NellieMac for an at bat)
RF Pickering (moves to CF when Coor enters)
3B Torres (Hodge SS as a reserve)
LF Boone (Bland as a reserve)
SP May - Deal - Monticelli - Geurin
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: In a game last year, Avery Hodge was up to bat. The defense crept in fully expecting a bunt or slap hit. Avery promply hit the ball over everyones head and I believe produced an RBI. I thought if she could do that all the time, she would drive defenses crazy. I think Avery has more pop in her bat then she uses. If she starts at SS, I think you will see her power more on display.
Monticelli: regarding her movement. In the game against Texas when she pitched for Wisconsin, she kept them off balance with velocity and movement. She may have been a bit nervous over throwing a bit.