My Thoughts on Potential Recruits for the Class of 2025

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Bottom post of the previous page:

TN Sooner wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:34 am I have a question - of all the players that left OU to transfer to another school, who has been the most successful softball players? There are certainly players to point to that have had some success, but have any of them gone on to be elite? All-Americans? All Conference?

Puni and Donahue are both playing well enough to be starters in the sec, but both were sort of “middle of the pack” players. I know we’ve had some others, but I don’t recall many that have gone on to greatness. We certainly expect greatness from Jordy Bahl at Nebraska. And I wish her well. But I can’t look at her situations and believe she will achieve more at NU than she could have at OU. But she went “home” for different reasons and I wish her all the best.

On the other hand, there are several transfers to OU that have been elite or near-elite players and instrumental to OU titles.

Shelby Pendley. Hope Trautwein. Paige Lowary. Alex Storako.

My point is - Patty is going to win the transfer war. Patty is also going to win the high school recruiting war, too.
Near Elite status (Big Contributors to the Sooners) of transfers into OU: Let me add these names - Giselle Juarez, Shannon Saile, Taylon Snow, Jana Johns, Alyssa Brito, Haley Lee. Maybe Cydney Sanders, Alynah Torres, Kelly Maxwell, Karlie Keeney in 2024.

As for the players that went on to be successful in the years 'MontOUfan' mentioned. I have this list: Alexa Shultz (Top 30 player as a recruit)- Started three years at San Diego State after two years at OU. Elijah Flores (Top 30 recruit)- Started 2 years at Boise State after 3 years at OU. Her sister, Alycia Flores (Top 30 recruit) - Has started for 2 years at Boise State. Kinsey Koeltzow (early enrollee in 2019 as 2nd catcher)- After two years at OU, she went on to Grand Canyon U to start for 3 years. Donihoo and Puni were mentioned above but to start at an SEC school (Tennessee) is a tough thing. Puni (1 year at OU) has had two much better than average seasons. Donihoo spent 2.5 years at OU. Paige Knight (unranked Oklahoma High School player)- After one year at OU, she has moved to New Mexico State and started for two years. Turiya Coleman (Top 15 recruit)- after 1 year at OU, she has started at Houston and played very well there. I expect that Sophia Nugent and Jocelyn Erickson will play well at Tennessee and Florida also. Jordy Bahl will be very good at Nebraska and only time will tell what she can do for the Nebraska program. I expect it will perhaps be more than we think.

Now, I will address the transfer item addressed by 'MontOUfan' and the remainder of the players on the list of transfers, etc.
- Seven players since the Class of 2017 have been Oklahoma High School player recruits that have ended up transferring. Those were, Audrie LaValley, Kinsey Koeltzow, Olivia Raines, Mackenzie Donihoo, Paige Knight, Alexx Waitman and Emmy Guthrie. LaValley (Top 55 recruit)- transferred to Arkansas in Dec in her 2nd season at OU. If she would have been patient, playing time would have opened up in 2020. She maybe left before she could contribute at OU. Raines (Top 45 recruit)- was a good prospect as a pitcher but after to seasons and pitchers coming in to OU sent a message. Trautwein in, Raines out. Raines may still help Texas Tech. Waitman (Top 20 recruit)- never took the field in practice at OU. What happened here, I do not know. She will probably only be a backup at OSU. Guthrie (Top 90 recruit)- had medical issues and red-shirted her only season at OU. She is now playing at OCU and is healthier. (The other OK players were addressed above or below.)

Three others since the Class of 2017 have retired from softball. Sammi Skelly (unranked as a recruit and from Oklahoma)- had some talent to offer OU as a hitter. After one year she decided D1 softball was not for her. Macy McAdoo (Top 35 recruit and OK player)- dabbled with success at OU, but control was an issue for her. After two hip surgeries, she retired. Raylee Pogue (unranked as a recruit but was ranked early in her career and a OK player)- had leg issues persist from an early injury as a teenager. She retires as well from softball.

That leaves a two players to address. Brooke Vestal, the mystery of OU recruiting. Highly ranked and former #1 recruit, red-shirted as a FR and pitched limited innings for two years at OU. Velocity was probably her issue to earn more innings. At Ole Miss she pitched two years with a few more innings than at OU. Now she is at A&M. Alanna Thiede, a LHP pitcher that had some talent. she has landed at UNLV and got to start regularly and contribute. I am not sure how much she would have pitched at OU due to not having a strikeout pitch.

I really do think that two things have affected this at OU in a big way. #1 was Covid and the extra year. That cannot be denied as a symptom of two many players with better players above you. #2 is the loosening of the transfer rules in a big way. that has made it easier for players to move on and find a place to play closer to home. Look above at all the California players that moved west to finish their career. I know that applies also to Turiya Coleman and to Jordy Bahl to Houston and Nebraska.

In the 2023, 2024 and 2025 recruits the players are highly ranked and very good. I will not be surprised if some of them decide that OU is just not the place for them at some point. That is not a fault of the program or by them. It is just what happens. It is tough to have 20 Top 20 players on a roster and fit them into 13-ish spots that play regularly. Very tough!

Boomer Sooner!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Thank you MontOUfan and '56,

Statistics and facts are so important for a more accurate perspective on the roster at OUSB. I wasn't aware that only around 40+% stay at OU for their full career. The fact that over 50% of OUSB players leave the program early (transfer, injury, retire, etc.) just sunk into my head.

These stats also show that even a great talent scout is right less than 50% of the time! There is no avoiding that really. The Crystal Ball Repair Shop was booked solid last time I checked. In the big picture, OU is also elite in the way they manage talent over time so the overall team is loaded at every position with the best of the best. I see an investment strategy for long term gains.

If Harrison wants to come to OU, my first instinct is take her! I thought about the ratio/value of an elite pitcher to an elite hitter - what does that look like? It's a form of the Immovable Object versus the Unstoppable Force debate. Taking Harrison would send some ripples through the pitching staff....ripples of giddy laughter most likely. Not clear at this point how that would be managed right now amongst the other pitchers.

Nothing to do with the Class of 2025:

My fanboying of Nugent is fun, and I will follow her and wish her the best. I'm fairly sure Coach did not make the decision for Nugent to leave. Patty would not intentionally put the team at a disadvantage. Nugent most likely made the call herself for her own reasons. I'm good with that. Losing Nugent stung because Erickson also transferred - and we suddenly lost BOTH back up catchers - no disrespect to Torres. Now, Hicks and Wells get a chance in the near future - two excellent, future replacements once Hansen graduates.

This recruiting and portal cycle feels to me like winning more money than I have pockets to put it in!
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

My post about softball departure numbers isn't meant as a criticism, just an awareness of what the landscape looks like as we look forward. Coach Gasso has done an incredible job of nurturing a very attractive culture that focuses on relationships and the development of the whole person, and at the same time creating an ultra-competitive atmosphere in which the cream consistently rises to the top. When players do leave for whatever reason (health, more opportunities, family etc.), she is able to bring in proven players who fit the culture and the needs of the team. It is a formula that has worked very well so far.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

SIAP - article on Kai.

OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Thanks @TN Sooner for the article. I don't really know much about the current commits but look forward to learning more about them over the next 2 years
She touched on her familiarity of the current team players and also the style of play that she’s comfortable with now on the Batbusters squad.

“Norman feels like home as much of the current roster (Kinzie Hansen, Tiara Jennings, Alyssa Brito, Nicole May, Hannah Coor, Maya Bland, Ella Parker) and current commits (Gabby Garcia, Sophia Bordi, Corri Hicks) are also OC Batbusters. The OC Batbusters are extremely tight-knit and all of them have been extremely supportive to me during my decision process.”

“Also, the coaching styles/philosophies of Coach Mike Stith and Coach Patty Gasso are very similar. I have heard from many of the past and current Sooners that playing for Mike Stith prepares you to play at OU.”
it is amazing there are 10 Batbusters on the team or will be joining OU in the next 2 years. I am guessing that if you go back as far as Sydney Romero's year that there would be over 20+ Batbusters

I think other Batbusters were Nugent, Erickson, Alo,Romero and Fale Aviu,Mariah Lopez,Alanna Thiede and Olivia Rains, Green and Puni.
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

What a post!
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

MontOUfan,

Your post about players coming and going could not be more spot on. I read your previous post as a list of facts, not criticism. I reflected on the numbers you shared and realized I had not fully come to grips with the amount of changes rolling through the roster over the years. I tend to get focused on a dozen of the main starters and back-ups and lose awareness of what is going on with the rest....the bench. If they don't play much, I don't notice they are gone as much. I want to do better in that area as an OUSB fan and cheer on all these young ladies.

I love the message from Tiare! "Tia" is a veteran now - and letting the newbies know it in a fun way. The current group of experienced players have a wealth of lessons to impart to the youngsters. Those Baby Batbusters get thoroughly immersed in the culture and expectations of the program all day everyday I'm sure. "Aunt" Jennings will make sure of it!

What a pipeline Patty has to a recruiting diamond mine via Mike Stith and the OC Batbusters!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Question for cclift38 or anyone else with knowledge about recruits....
The next home game will be with Iowa St. a week from Sat, Sept 30th.
Do we know if there are any remaining visits to be taken? That seems like it would be a likely date if there were any left.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:47 pm Question for cclift38 or anyone else with knowledge about recruits....
The next home game will be with Iowa St. a week from Sat, Sept 30th.
Do we know if there are any remaining visits to be taken? That seems like it would be a likely date if there were any left.
Coach Gasso is having a Camp that weekend. I would imagine that is focused on potential 2026 and 2027 recruits. Usually parents and public is allowed in for the camps With the OU FB game at 6 PM it is possible to go watch the Camp thru most of the day and than again on Sunday.

At this point, I do not know what else the Sooners 'need' in 2025 recruits. There is so much left to be determined with the Class of 2024, as to where where each player will actually play with the committed 2025 players now in the picture. It is true that you never have enough top recruits in a class, but I think there needs to be some plan as where they can actually play before committing to them and asking them to commit to you. I think that is pretty tough right now. There are just so many options right now for the 2025 season and the 2026 season.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

While I would love to get as manys commits as we can, I am guessing that that 2025 recruiting is done. It sounds like OU will have an awesome class.

For some reason, I just remembered an interview with JT Gasso from a few years ago. They asked him about recruiting and his answer was something along the lines of Patty was the only person who knew anything about recruiting. I got a laught out of that.
::rice2:: :dude:
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

oufanforever wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:42 pm It would be interesting to see if Parker gets a bump in the rankings for getting recruited by OU.
Going to pad myself on the back a little. Congratulations to Parker for getting into the top 10 of EIS’s new ranking.

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

While Allyssa Parker received a significant rise in her EIS rankings from #23 to #6. Kai Minor also received a significant rise in her EIS ranking from #9 to #2.

That in effect gave the Oklahoma Sooners Class of 2025 the rankings of:

#1 - Lexi McDaniel - SS
#2 - Kai Minor - OF - (Previously #9)
#3 - Sophia Bordi - RHP/UT
#4 - Kendall Wells - C/3B (1B)
#6 - Allyssa Parker - RHP/MIF (Previously #23)
While that is tremendous as a OU Sooner fan, I have even more questions about the EIS rankings now. Soon after the original release of the Top 100 EIs players in the Class of 2025 which had 10 of the Top 30 players ranked by Softball America left of the EIS Top 100 players, EIS admitted (kudos to them for doing so) that they have a compiling error in the software that did not handle a significant amount of players correctly. EIC said that they have corrected that error and that they would re-release their rankings. From what was said, I expected many of the original Top 100 players to drop off of their list with new players taking their place. But that is not what happened.

Instead EIS virtually added 1 player at each ranking 1 - 100 thus creating a list of 200-ish players. But, there was two position (#97 and #69) that were skipped in the re-ranking. Five of the Top 30 positions had two players added to the ranking with 3 players now at the positions of #4, #7, #9, #18 and #28. So it is very weird how that EIS approached the re-ranking. The weirder part is that Parker and Minor were the only two players that were ranked in the original and the re-released rankings. How can that be? It is nice that they both moved up, but why did only those two players get repeated? Was there a reason why their rating changed or was revised. (I will say that I did not check every player but I checked a great deal of them to see if any others that were ranked twice.)

To me, I am still not sure that EIS has everything "correct". They seem to be fishing for the right answer for some reason.

Bottom line is this. The Oklahoma Sooners have received committments from one of the better classes of recruits that I have seen by any college. To have five players committed that are all Top 23 players let alone Top 6 players is amazing in this new are of recruiting Well, maybe with two EIS rankings it is actually the Top 48 players with Parker in the T-23rd position or the Top 13 players with Parker at T-6th position. Maybe I will just refer to the SA rankings from now on and say the Class of 2025 recruits are 5 of the Top 25 with these rankings.

#3 - Sophia Bordi - RHP/UT
#12 - Kendal Wells - C/3B (1B)
#14 - Lexi McDaniel - SS
#23 Kai Minor - OF
#25 - Allyssa Parker - RHP/MIF
It still all adds up to BOOMER SOONER!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Well, I'll take for the win:

1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Two-way players like Parker are rare animals, and at the D1 level even more of a unicorn. As per her rankings, Alyssa is a better MIF prospect than a pitcher. I had a flashback of Nicole Mendez when I wrote that just now.

Which way do you think Parker will be encouraged, to pitch or field? Either way, the Sooners win. (In a video interview with her, she said she would be given the chance to compete at pitcher, batter, and fielder. I'm sure she will, too. Her words reminded me of another young superstar pitcher with a very good bat that said similar things a couple years ago; she ended up pitching with a handful of ABs and pinch running duty....and TWO National Champ Rings.

Alyssa Parker is one of those super athletes that Coach values and what makes the team so well balanced. I'm really curious how all the talent coming in is going to shake out after the dust settles. At every position, OU is two and three deep - and the pitching staff is just ridiculous right now.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Yeah....she reminds me of Mendy too.....a lot.
I'm sure she'll get tryouts at SS or whereever she wants claim....but over the long haul, I'm betting that pitching will be her strong suit---only because we are so ridiculously rich in infield talent. Unless she just puts everyone else to shame of course! :)
aka Crimson47
cclift38

Post by cclift38 »

Just curious 56, who was the #5 recruit on EI?