RB Situation

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Oklahombre wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:04 pm Wanted to get into this thread, enjoying the back and forth, but a change of pace post. How about that 19 yard run on third and 19 from inside the 5? I think it was Major and a brilliant call that I would haver never expected to work. That's why the big guys get the big check. @OU Guy Guy, can you find the video? :confusedplus:
That did work. There is also that saying about blind squirrels and acorns.

Given the risk of a pass, I would agree that it WAS a smart call. Making the yardage...lucky.
texsa sucks!
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

I do not claim to know who should be getting the most RB snaps . What I do know is we need to make the run game and run blocking more of a priority than it currently is . If we do that I think we will run well regardless of who is carrying the ball .
walt

Post by walt »

cushcreekmont wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:19 am
WishBone wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:07 am Cush wrote:Something is DAMN WRONG with RB PT. If Murray is an book "practice determines play" guy, then he recruited very poorly. Sawchuk needs to get reps.

Thaer is more that goes into being a RB at the U of O than just scoring TD's and playing time.Theres School work and grades,Practice,Team Meetings ,Schmitty time,etc........just maybe some of these players werent fulfilling their obligations.I SERIOUSLY douby Murray is a"Problem"(one of the top RB recruiters in the country)Lebby has since stated that Majors had )the best week of practice and he would get the bulk of the carries.Same song and Dance;'Coaches do the job they are paid to(win games;( and fans bellyache???

:BV: :ou:
"Fans" can see the inadequacies of the RB room! Recruiting in *s means nothing. Recruiting PRODUCTION matters. If Murray is making the RB playing time decisions, Lebby needs to intervene. Walker is fine in the 4th quarter and short yardage. Major is not (and has not for his tenure) performing at a high level.

Having watched football since the 1950s, I have seen many RBs (and other players) that excel in games and are not great in practice. While I am not privy to the current team's practice, the RB play is poor.
I'm absolutely positive that fans can see what "they" think is a poor play by a player or poor coaching by a position coach. However fans don't really what is going on with the team or the coaches. Lots of fans think they know better than those who actually know what is going on with the players and coaches. Over my lifetime I have had lots of fans who d, but truly don't know come here from "sic'em. It is OK to ... as :c I enjoy comedy. :tongue:
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

walt wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:46 pm
cushcreekmont wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:19 am
WishBone wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:07 am Cush wrote:Something is DAMN WRONG with RB PT. If Murray is an book "practice determines play" guy, then he recruited very poorly. Sawchuk needs to get reps.

Thaer is more that goes into being a RB at the U of O than just scoring TD's and playing time.Theres School work and grades,Practice,Team Meetings ,Schmitty time,etc........just maybe some of these players werent fulfilling their obligations.I SERIOUSLY douby Murray is a"Problem"(one of the top RB recruiters in the country)Lebby has since stated that Majors had )the best week of practice and he would get the bulk of the carries.Same song and Dance;'Coaches do the job they are paid to(win games;( and fans bellyache???

:BV: :ou:
"Fans" can see the inadequacies of the RB room! Recruiting in *s means nothing. Recruiting PRODUCTION matters. If Murray is making the RB playing time decisions, Lebby needs to intervene. Walker is fine in the 4th quarter and short yardage. Major is not (and has not for his tenure) performing at a high level.

Having watched football since the 1950s, I have seen many RBs (and other players) that excel in games and are not great in practice. While I am not privy to the current team's practice, the RB play is poor.
I'm absolutely positive that fans can see what "they" think is a poor play by a player or poor coaching by a position coach. However fans don't really what is going on with the team or the coaches. Lots of fans think they know better than those who actually know what is going on with the players and coaches. Over my lifetime I have had lots of fans who d, but truly don't know come here from "sic'em. It is OK to ... as :c I enjoy comedy. :tongue:
But do you agree or disagree that if we don’t talk about our opinions on coaching and players, then we might as well shut all message boards down? Just take what the coaches and media feeds us as facts? That’s Orwellian thinking.
“Come now, let us reason together “
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Absolutley OldTimer
Agree 10000000%
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

OldTimer, I've read both you and Cush on at least two other boards before you found your way here. I think you both are excellent new posters giving opinions, whether agreed upon or not, and that's what fans are chatting about. Keep posting, (watch the language rule) and you guys will be top posters in no time. Already doing well on the contests.

BTW, what was cush"s handle on the TFB board? Sounded like a gas station. LOL

:dillon: :BV: :dillon: :BV:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

waddy's ghost wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:45 pm I do not claim to know who should be getting the most RB snaps . What I do know is we need to make the run game and run blocking more of a priority than it currently is . If we do that I think we will run well regardless of who is carrying the ball .
I agree we need to continue to improve our run game and make it more of a priority. Cinncy, though, may not be the best example since starting O lineman Savion Byrd was out with an injury and backup Troy Everett was just overmatched by the NFL talent of #2 and #0. I don't know the extent of Byrd's injury but I hope he is able to come back for Iowa St so he can knock the rust off before we face Texas. But yes, our O Line still needs to get in sync and our RB's should be finding some gaps. I did like one of Walker's (I think?) runs where he was just ran over a tackler and on to the next one. Major's run for 19 yds in a time of crisis was rich too.
aka Crimson47
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:42 pm
waddy's ghost wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:45 pm I do not claim to know who should be getting the most RB snaps . What I do know is we need to make the run game and run blocking more of a priority than it currently is . If we do that I think we will run well regardless of who is carrying the ball .
I agree we need to continue to improve our run game and make it more of a priority. Cinncy, though, may not be the best example since starting O lineman Savion Byrd was out with an injury and backup Troy Everett was just overmatched by the NFL talent of #2 and #0. I don't know the extent of Byrd's injury but I hope he is able to come back for Iowa St so he can knock the rust off before we face Texas. But yes, our O Line still needs to get in sync and our RB's should be finding some gaps. I did like one of Walker's (I think?) runs where he was just ran over a tackler and on to the next one. Major's run for 19 yds in a time of crisis was rich too.
According to Ikard and others who I have read and heard critique OUr oline it seems Byrd is the weak link in OUr front. That also would not account for lacluster run game all year . 158 yards a game and 4.0 yards a carry is less than impressive .
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

waddy's ghost wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:48 pm
TropicalSooner wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:42 pm
According to Ikard and others who I have read and heard critique OUr oline it seems Byrd is the weak link in OUr front. That also would not account for lacluster run game all year . 158 yards a game and 4.0 yards a carry is less than impressive .
Well....I guess I stand corrected....thanks for the clarification.
But if that is the case.....then our backups must really have a long way to go, and certainly didn't have much of a shot at blocking Cincy's D line.
aka Crimson47
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Oklahombre wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:29 pm OldTimer, I've read both you and Cush on at least two other boards before you found your way here. I think you both are excellent new posters giving opinions, whether agreed upon or not, and that's what fans are chatting about. Keep posting, (watch the language rule) and you guys will be top posters in no time. Already doing well on the contests.

BTW, what was cush"s handle on the TFB board? Sounded like a gas station. LOL

:dillon: :BV: :dillon: :BV:
I think his handle was the same but I’m not positive. Don’t worry about me violating the langue rule, that won’t happen. I appreciate a place where there is civil discourse.
“Come now, let us reason together “
Fly

Post by Fly »

I don,t know the answer any more than any of you but I can a sure you the coach’s do. But I watch a lot of football, as many of you
do. I just do not think we have any great running backs right now. They are average at best.We do not have that break away guy, we
had in the past. We don,t have that power back we have had in the past. We have always been a team establish the run game first,
then the passing game will take care of it self. I know our staff is trying to address this, but there is something we just do not know
that’s keeping this from happening. They will find a fix, some how to this problem, even with the guys they have. We are 4-0 so
DON’T WORRY BE HAPPY ! 🥰.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I think we are being hyper critical of our RB. Walker has exceptional balance and power and at 5’9” and 220# he is hard to tackle. Major has the moves once past the first level and is also a very good RB in passing situations. We are not going to have Adrian Peterson every year.

Fans always have the right to complain but we need realize what we have is good not bad.

:BV: :BV: :BV:
:ou: :ou: :rice:
:rice: :rice: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

I agree with you Z but after I posted the above I looked at our recruiting board. I see no top running backs we are recruiting as of now.
The one we did has pulled up, from us & flipped to UCF. That is troubling! I don,t keep up with recruiting so may some one who does
can chime in on running back recruits. I did not see any.

Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Sure i agree that i had seen a change in RB recruiting. It used to be we had either a 5 star RB or a Juco transfer that had 5 Star attributes like Rahmondre…. But we have not in a while.. maybe it is part of the fall out of firing Cale Gundy he seemed to find and sign those guys…

Not all 5 star RBs work out we had seen that…. But it does seem like the common difference from 4 to 5 star in the 215 pound and up range, was breakaway speed…
Aries

Post by Aries »

OU running backs (QB's and WR's excluded) are averaging 125 yards per game, and 4.4 yards per carry across the board. I don't think that's really all that bad.

DISCLAIMER: Check my math, but that's what I come up with

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... s/regular/

https://www.espn.com/college-football/t ... s/_/id/201
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Fly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:00 am I agree with you Z but after I posted the above I looked at our recruiting board. I see no top running backs we are recruiting as of now.
The one we did has pulled up, from us & flipped to UCF. That is troubling! I don,t keep up with recruiting so may some one who does
can chime in on running back recruits. I did not see any.

???

We have the top 24 RB committed to OU (Tatum).
In Brent I Trust :D