My Thoughts on Potential Recruits for the Class of 2025

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I see 56 has beaten me to the punch, but Boone was a ranked player - not just a “local girl” acquisition for the Sooners.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:26 pm
McDaniel = #1 player, #1 MIF by EIS - #14 player, #3 MIF by SA

Bordi = #3 player, #1 Pitcher by EIS - #3 player, #3 Pitcher by SA

Wells = #4 player, #1 C/3B by EIS - #12 player, #2 C/3B by SA

A Parker = #23 player, #8 P/#4 MIF by EIS - #25 player, #5 MIF by SA
I guess now that we can add in Kai Minor #1 outfielder. What a class.
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Sooooo...........do we think we are done yet?

Well, this keeps cropping up on commitment postings:

Don't know if there's a hidden meaning there or not. A lot of these girls traveled together, played together--or even against each other, so I get that there is a "Sisterhood" there with many of them.

But when I make a statement about being done with the '25 class.....I'm just getting crickets from my insiders on another site.

If we really were done, I would probably just get a quick "Yep".

In any case, I expect we will be able to close the books on the '25 class fairly soon.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I also wonder if Chad Helton is the father or relative of Chaney Helton (OF), a 2024 recruit.

As you know, I am a big fan of Presley Harrison. I am amazed that she is still out there uncommitted. I guess I can hope that she is added to the Class of 2025, but I think it is doubtful.

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I have no idea about Chad Helton, but I can inquire about him away if you like? How do you know of him?

I think if there is one more recruit to bring in, we have the strongest chance with Harrison. Personally, I think she would be a great addition and I'd love to bring her in.
If that does happen, I would think early next week would be the time. I don't know if she has visited OU (although I hope she was one of the visitors last weekend) or if she is taking other visits (one would think she would be) but I do think it will all be resolved quickly next week. If we don't get anything next week, then I think we are through and I'm feeling really good about where we are for the '25 class.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Chad Helton has commented on each player that OU adds to the 2025 class. That is all I know.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:15 am I see 56 has beaten me to the punch, but Boone was a ranked player - not just a “local girl” acquisition for the Sooners.
I didn't say she was just a local girl. I did say that she was not near top tier in ranking. It looked to me that 56 agreed on the main point that she rose above her ranking, performing as a top tier player. (and icing on the Boonecake is that she's a local girl)
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:08 am Chad Helton has commented on each player that OU adds to the 2025 class. That is all I know.
I'm told he's Cheney's Dad.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OU_Tom wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:55 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:26 pm
McDaniel = #1 player, #1 MIF by EIS - #14 player, #3 MIF by SA

Bordi = #3 player, #1 Pitcher by EIS - #3 player, #3 Pitcher by SA

Wells = #4 player, #1 C/3B by EIS - #12 player, #2 C/3B by SA

A Parker = #23 player, #8 P/#4 MIF by EIS - #25 player, #5 MIF by SA
I guess now that we can add in Kai Minor #1 outfielder. What a class.
Honesty compels me to provide a bit of a correction.

SA had Minor as the #23 recruit and the #4 OF. I am not real sure how they have Minor that low, but that is what they think.
EIS had Minor as the #9 recruit and the #2 outfielder.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I guess the beauty of recruiting great athletes is that they generally can play multiple positions. It will be interesting to see what position(s) these players end up playing at OU. For example, Parker could end up as a pitcher, 2nd baseman, short stop , ... A lot of it will depend on OU's needs are and if a player ends up being the best player at a given position. It is hard to predict what OU's needs and openings will be 2 years down the road.
::rice2:: :dude:
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Before Minor committed, the source was very definitive in OU not being done. After she commitments, they said it would depend on how things shake out. I take that to mean no strong OU leans that are imminent to commit, but there could be more.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

The point of all the recruiting and transfer portal action is, "What does OUSB need right now and in the future?" That's how I understand it.

PG is a Genius because she understands both sides of that coin, and is on a level currently un-matched by the rest of the softball world. Now that she has established a 'dynasty' of winning, even if other programs try to copy her success, they are late to the party. OUSB is THE place for TOP Recruits and Transfers who want to show a National Championship Ring to their daughters and granddaughters. If you were a Top Five SB Player in the entire nation, would you want to play for OU? I would, no question!

I always think about future talent log jams (ie Pickering vs Minor in CF, or M&M vs A. Parker or Hodge at SS, or Hicks vs Wells at catcher). First World Problems for the Sooners. One of these days we will read of an AA player that was benched by OU in favor of an AA++ player. Already happened in some respects....

Not to beat that old, dead horse....if Nugent, Erickson, and most of all Bahl had decided to stay at OU, how would all the recruiting and transfers have played out this year? There is no way of knowing, obviously. I just can't ignore these losses...but maybe should get used to them going forward in the current ebb and flow of collegiate softball. It keeps sticking in my craw that we lost Nugent and had to go portal shopping for a back-up catcher that is not as good as her for the 2024 season. As others have said, it all works out in the end. I can agree with that. I was just a fan of Nugent.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:07 pm The point of all the recruiting and transfer portal action is, "What does OUSB need right now and in the future?" That's how I understand it.

PG is a Genius because she understands both sides of that coin, and is on a level currently un-matched by the rest of the softball world. Now that she has established a 'dynasty' of winning, even if other programs try to copy her success, they are late to the party. OUSB is THE place for TOP Recruits and Transfers who want to show a National Championship Ring to their daughters and granddaughters. If you were a Top Five SB Player in the entire nation, would you want to play for OU? I would, no question!

I always think about future talent log jams (ie Pickering vs Minor in CF, or M&M vs A. Parker or Hodge at SS, or Hicks vs Wells at catcher). First World Problems for the Sooners. One of these days we will read of an AA player that was benched by OU in favor of an AA++ player. Already happened in some respects....

Not to beat that old, dead horse....if Nugent, Erickson, and most of all Bahl had decided to stay at OU, how would all the recruiting and transfers have played out this year? There is no way of knowing, obviously. I just can't ignore these losses...but maybe should get used to them going forward in the current ebb and flow of collegiate softball. It keeps sticking in my craw that we lost Nugent and had to go portal shopping for a back-up catcher that is not as good as her for the 2024 season. As others have said, it all works out in the end. I can agree with that. I was just a fan of Nugent.
It is likely for OU to continue to lose depth each season because of the talent incoming. Some of these amazing 2025 recruits probably won’t stay at OU for 4 years. It is the price of being at the top and always bringing in competition at each position.

If you are a fan of Nugent, you should support her finding a starting spot at Tenn and gets to start and play throughout the season. Why should she sacrifice the a few years she has left in college softball to be the back up at OU when she is clearly good enough to start almost anywhere?
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

Just to emphasize the point, here is the number of recruits who have stayed with the program all the way through by class. '17 - 2 out of 4; '18 - 2/6; '19 - 2/8; '20 - 3/5; '21 - 2/6; '22 - 3/4. Overall - 14 out of 33.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I have a question - of all the players that left OU to transfer to another school, who has been the most successful softball players? There are certainly players to point to that have had some success, but have any of them gone on to be elite? All-Americans? All Conference?

Puni and Donahue are both playing well enough to be starters in the sec, but both were sort of “middle of the pack” players. I know we’ve had some others, but I don’t recall many that have gone on to greatness. We certainly expect greatness from Jordy Bahl at Nebraska. And I wish her well. But I can’t look at her situations and believe she will achieve more at NU than she could have at OU. But she went “home” for different reasons and I wish her all the best.

On the other hand, there are several transfers to OU that have been elite or near-elite players and instrumental to OU titles.

Shelby Pendley. Hope Troutwein. Lauren Lowary. Alex Storako.

My point is - Patty is going to win the transfer war. Patty is also going to win the high school recruiting war, too.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TN Sooner wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:34 am I have a question - of all the players that left OU to transfer to another school, who has been the most successful softball players? There are certainly players to point to that have had some success, but have any of them gone on to be elite? All-Americans? All Conference?

Puni and Donahue are both playing well enough to be starters in the sec, but both were sort of “middle of the pack” players. I know we’ve had some others, but I don’t recall many that have gone on to greatness. We certainly expect greatness from Jordy Bahl at Nebraska. And I wish her well. But I can’t look at her situations and believe she will achieve more at NU than she could have at OU. But she went “home” for different reasons and I wish her all the best.

On the other hand, there are several transfers to OU that have been elite or near-elite players and instrumental to OU titles.

Shelby Pendley. Hope Trautwein. Paige Lowary. Alex Storako.

My point is - Patty is going to win the transfer war. Patty is also going to win the high school recruiting war, too.
Near Elite status (Big Contributors to the Sooners) of transfers into OU: Let me add these names - Giselle Juarez, Shannon Saile, Taylon Snow, Jana Johns, Alyssa Brito, Haley Lee. Maybe Cydney Sanders, Alynah Torres, Kelly Maxwell, Karlie Keeney in 2024.

As for the players that went on to be successful in the years 'MontOUfan' mentioned. I have this list: Alexa Shultz (Top 30 player as a recruit)- Started three years at San Diego State after two years at OU. Elijah Flores (Top 30 recruit)- Started 2 years at Boise State after 3 years at OU. Her sister, Alycia Flores (Top 30 recruit) - Has started for 2 years at Boise State. Kinsey Koeltzow (early enrollee in 2019 as 2nd catcher)- After two years at OU, she went on to Grand Canyon U to start for 3 years. Donihoo and Puni were mentioned above but to start at an SEC school (Tennessee) is a tough thing. Puni (1 year at OU) has had two much better than average seasons. Donihoo spent 2.5 years at OU. Paige Knight (unranked Oklahoma High School player)- After one year at OU, she has moved to New Mexico State and started for two years. Turiya Coleman (Top 15 recruit)- after 1 year at OU, she has started at Houston and played very well there. I expect that Sophia Nugent and Jocelyn Erickson will play well at Tennessee and Florida also. Jordy Bahl will be very good at Nebraska and only time will tell what she can do for the Nebraska program. I expect it will perhaps be more than we think.

Now, I will address the transfer item addressed by 'MontOUfan' and the remainder of the players on the list of transfers, etc.
- Seven players since the Class of 2017 have been Oklahoma High School player recruits that have ended up transferring. Those were, Audrie LaValley, Kinsey Koeltzow, Olivia Raines, Mackenzie Donihoo, Paige Knight, Alexx Waitman and Emmy Guthrie. LaValley (Top 55 recruit)- transferred to Arkansas in Dec in her 2nd season at OU. If she would have been patient, playing time would have opened up in 2020. She maybe left before she could contribute at OU. Raines (Top 45 recruit)- was a good prospect as a pitcher but after to seasons and pitchers coming in to OU sent a message. Trautwein in, Raines out. Raines may still help Texas Tech. Waitman (Top 20 recruit)- never took the field in practice at OU. What happened here, I do not know. She will probably only be a backup at OSU. Guthrie (Top 90 recruit)- had medical issues and red-shirted her only season at OU. She is now playing at OCU and is healthier. (The other OK players were addressed above or below.)

Three others since the Class of 2017 have retired from softball. Sammi Skelly (unranked as a recruit and from Oklahoma)- had some talent to offer OU as a hitter. After one year she decided D1 softball was not for her. Macy McAdoo (Top 35 recruit and OK player)- dabbled with success at OU, but control was an issue for her. After two hip surgeries, she retired. Raylee Pogue (unranked as a recruit but was ranked early in her career and a OK player)- had leg issues persist from an early injury as a teenager. She retires as well from softball.

That leaves a two players to address. Brooke Vestal, the mystery of OU recruiting. Highly ranked and former #1 recruit, red-shirted as a FR and pitched limited innings for two years at OU. Velocity was probably her issue to earn more innings. At Ole Miss she pitched two years with a few more innings than at OU. Now she is at A&M. Alanna Thiede, a LHP pitcher that had some talent. she has landed at UNLV and got to start regularly and contribute. I am not sure how much she would have pitched at OU due to not having a strikeout pitch.

I really do think that two things have affected this at OU in a big way. #1 was Covid and the extra year. That cannot be denied as a symptom of two many players with better players above you. #2 is the loosening of the transfer rules in a big way. that has made it easier for players to move on and find a place to play closer to home. Look above at all the California players that moved west to finish their career. I know that applies also to Turiya Coleman and to Jordy Bahl to Houston and Nebraska.

In the 2023, 2024 and 2025 recruits the players are highly ranked and very good. I will not be surprised if some of them decide that OU is just not the place for them at some point. That is not a fault of the program or by them. It is just what happens. It is tough to have 20 Top 20 players on a roster and fit them into 13-ish spots that play regularly. Very tough!

Boomer Sooner!