OU vs SMU -- What do you think?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
TropicalSooner

OU vs SMU -- What do you think?

Post by TropicalSooner »

We win, probably convincingly. And we probably don't play 88 guys this time.
SMU will be a much better team than Arky St. I think the Mustangs offense is better than their defense and I'm looking forward to seeing how well our defense executes against a much better offense. Arky St should have completed a lot more passes against us than they did---but thanks to receiver drops and the QB just not putting the ball anywhere close to the target, we got away with some coverage misses. SMU will test that.
SMU's defense is more suspect I think, at least in some ways. La Tech put up 21-33-241 passing stats. La Tech! They were 3-9 last year. But the Mustangs run defense was better, limiting the Bulldogs' running game to only 28 total yards. Again, this will be a good test for our O line and our running backs. Let's see those holes open up again against a better team.

I hope we can get a good enough lead that we can see Arnold for a few series again. I would like for him to get some snaps against a better opponent. But we need to get a solid lead first.
I think our passing game will be strong enough that it will open up our running game, I liked the complimentary football we played last week--would like to see that continue.
But I think we all want to see what our defense really looks like--against a good team.
OU wins---I think about 49-21.

How does the game stack up for you??
aka Crimson47
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

I think this is going to be a much closer game than it sounds like most people expect. SMU is a good team with a TON of experience - lots of juniors, seniors, & super seniors on their 2-deep, many of whom are transfers from other solid, P5 programs. SMU has made extensive use of the transfer portal. I saw transfers from Mizzou, MissSt, Auburn, :horns: , and even Kori Roberson from OU. It seems like 1/2 the Miami roster transferred to SMU - Smith, WR; Brinson, WR; Hawkins, TE; Knighton, RB; Clark, OL; Miller, DT; Roberts, DE.

Anyone expecting the DL to magically look like monsters & create havoc against this OL may be very disappointed. 4/5 starters have a combined 100+ games of experience. The LG is a transfer from :hornsburning: who only saw experience on their FG unit from what I could tell. The other 4 starters have likely seen every blitz, twist, & stunt that BV could come up with. My hope is OU's depth can keep guys fresh & that the DL + LBs can keep their running game bottled up. The WRs all seem similar - 6'0" - 6'2", and the slots are 5'9" - 5'10", so SMU shouldn't be able to provide a bunch of different looks for the DBs. If the DL can't get pressure on Stone, the WRs will get open & he will connect with them. Stone doesn't have much experience, though, and this should be the toughest road environment he's played in. If the front 6/7 can make him uncomfortable in the pocket, he may make a couple of panic throws for the DBs pick off.

SMU has quite a bit of experience on defense, too, but I think/hope the OU offense can exploit quite a few mismatches. Their DL looks like something Grinch would've rolled out - they're not very big. Only 1 DL over 300 lbs. Not sure how LaTech wasn't able to run the ball more effectively against that unit. My hope is the OU OL is able to have its way & the OU offense can churn out 300+yards & 3+ TDs on the ground. They have 1 LB who is only 5'11" 228 lbs. I would like to see OU manipulate the formations to isolate the 6' 6" Stogner on that LB & just outsize him for some easy catches & yards. Likewise, the CBs & safeties on their 2 & 3-deep are all 5'10" - 6'1". Some jump balls to Nic Anderson &/or Jayden Gibson may be in order Saturday evening. If OU can get the run game going & SMU has to commit their Bandit/Cheetah or safeties into the box, OU may wind up wearing the defense out with RPO's & some 1-on-1 deep shots.

I think the OU offense will be able to put up quite a few yards & points, but I think the SMU offense will be able to do the same. The current line is OU -15.5. I think that's too much. Maybe something like a 48-38 type game where SMU keeps it close & OU scores a late TD to put the game out of reach. If OU can win this game comfortably by double-digits, I will come away impressed & believing the team is much improved from last season - especially if we don't see coverage busts & we do see several TFLs, sacks, & some TOs from the defense.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Well thought out, B, but I hope you’re off base with your total points (86) and points allowed (38). I’m really hoping the shoot-out days are behind us.
#Mentally In Portal
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I think our DB's are going to be tested. I think SMU will have some success early, until (and if) in game adjustments are made - like we saw last week. I don't expect another shut out, but this will be a week for the DL and edges to step up and show who they really are. We played the run well last week, but will have to be better this week.

Offensively, I think if DG and JA are efficient and accurate as they were last week, we should have little trouble in moving the ball. I expect to see an array of defensive alignments and will be curious as to how well the OL adjusts to them and what plays are called to counter them.

I think this may be a week we get a better vision of the differences in coaching from last year to this. Last week wasn't too much of a test in that regard, this week likely will be.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Now that we have recievers that actually catch the ball we will put up huge numbers every game…. 3 incompletions last week two were drops of catchable balls both by Farooq, he can’t continue that and expect to remain a starter….the other receivers were making all the catches including the tough catches….

I think the defense is much better also.

Having. Great backup QB means no drop off when QB1 sits so the big scores continue
Fly

Post by Fly »

Great write Brisket, I agree with every thing you said & learned some from you I did not know. Yes if we win this game
In a commanding way the rest a head better watch out. This could be one of the better teams we face this year.

Fly🪰 :BV: :ou:
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

I’m just hoping the team is not into the same rat poison the fanbase is into.
“Come now, let us reason together “
RussC

Post by RussC »

OldTimer wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:47 pm I’m just hoping the team is not into the same rat poison the fanbase is into.
Yes that will be a good comparison point to evaluate growth in the past year on the part of players and staff
#Mentally In Portal
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

OldTimer said:I’m just hoping the team is not into the same rat poison the fanbase is into........................................explain your basis for this comment?

signed,Curious?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I paid my $9.99 to watch on ESPN+, so i am expecting a win…..

Here is what the computers say….although it is early in the season for computer models to have valid data

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1gliXE

:BV: :BV:
:ou: :ou:
:rice: :rice:
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

I think we win and hope our pass defense is a lot better this year! :ou:
pippen

Post by pippen »

OUGENO wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:10 am I think we win and hope our pass defense is a lot better this year! :ou:
If their QB is competent (I don't really know), I think our pass defense (including pass rush) had better be a WHOLE lot better than last year or it's possibly a shoot-out that we may or may not win. I anticipate we will know a lot more after this game than we do right now.
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

Yes I agree!
RussC

Post by RussC »

I want to see our secondary get some pass breakups and/or picks.
#Mentally In Portal
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

RussC wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:34 am I want to see our secondary get some pass breakups and/or picks.
Yes!
And I'd also like to see some sacks. And our running backs bust some long ones.
aka Crimson47