Feels like the first game of the Season

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Zgeo

Feels like the first game of the Season

Post by Zgeo »

With the big win against Arkansas St being discounted by many if not most , the game against SMU feels like the first Game of the season…..

I think it is wrong to discount Ark ST they had some good players and all of them played tough and hit hard.

But here we are…..

If we win big will the SMU game count? If it is a big win i think the SMU game will also be minimized..

For me i see the improvement. Number one is that we now have WRs that catch contested pass catches….we really have not had that in many years. The last year i remember that being the norm was 2008……

The Oline is tremendous especially for being this early with new guys…outstanding.

The defense is disciplined and fast…..

:BV: :BV: :BV: :ou: :ou: :rice:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Heck yeah it'll count.
I think SMU is a good team---and I think they could take Kansas, W Va, Iowa St, and maybe give Baylor a run for its money. The Mustangs can throw it around the yard pretty good.
If we win big--(define big, I guess), then I think that will show that the Sooners are recovering at a faster and more thorough clip than I thought they would. That would be a very good thing.
But I'll be happy with a win.
Any win.
aka Crimson47
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I'm with you Zgeo. I think this is another can't win game. If we win it was because of an inferior opponent and if we lose, let the meltdowns begin. IMHO, the most important thing we can get from this game is to see improvement on both sides of the ball and coaching. We need to see that every week this year, and the old saying you improve most from game 1 to game 2 may be very telling for this team.

While our schedule isn't the most difficult, it does set up with improved competition each week (for the most part), which will also help to strengthen skills needed later in the season.

In addition to the on-field performances, I will be interested to see how much of the offensive playbook Lebby or defensive play calls from Roof opens (or if he needs to) as well as substitutions and game/clock management.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
RussC

Post by RussC »

Delivering an a**-kicking will count.
#Mentally In Portal
Fly

Post by Fly »

Yes I agree with you also my friend. This game will be a very good test to where our team is at this point in the season. SMU is
No push over by any means. They are a dam good football team that will win a lot of games this year. I,m really excited & looking
forward to this game.

Fly🪰 :BV: :ou:
Soonerator

Post by Soonerator »

Saturday will be a good test for the OL. Remember Calvin Thibodeaux? He is the DL Coach at SMU. And if my memory serves me correctly there are 2 or 3 DL Transfers from OU on the DL. Homecoming? Not saying they are better just some family competition going to happen.

Go Sooners!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

We have to put 73-0 in the lock box and forget about it. They will score on us and game will be close for awhile. Remember, the new clock moves faster so less plays overall. That means you will see some games with closer first half scores due to the clock and less possesions. But we should stretch it out in 2nd half. I would be surprisex if its not close in first half (within 10 points).
In Brent I Trust :D
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

OU Guy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:15 am We have to put 73-0 in the lock box and forget about it. They will score on us and game will be close for awhile. Remember, the new clock moves faster so less plays overall. That means you will see some games with closer first half scores due to the clock and less possesions. But we should stretch it out in 2nd half. I would be surprisex if its not close in first half (within 10 points).
Yay is why i predict 70 to 13…..

SMU will score, and our offense lights them up like a Christmas tree, having receivers that get contested balls is huge….
:BV: :BV: :rice: :rice: :ou: :ou:
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

I see us only going two deep on defense this week. Their air offense will test our secondary. We should be going three deep with our WRs and RBs. By the 4th quarter their defense should be gassed.
RussC

Post by RussC »

SD-OU wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:27 pm I see us only going two deep on defense this week. Their air offense will test our secondary. We should be going three deep with our WRs and RBs. By the 4th quarter their defense should be gassed.
I can see us going into the 3-deep in the first half. If the game is relatively tight to start the third quarter, we would go to the 2-deep. If we are comfortably ahead, we might go 4-deep.
#Mentally In Portal