New patty 💣 about Kelly Maxwell

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
Sooneryankee13

New patty 💣 about Kelly Maxwell

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

Patty just tweeted GO B💣💣MER
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Any hints or guesses as to the player Patty means?
texsa sucks!
OURed

Post by OURed »

cushcreekmont wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:20 pm Any hints or guesses as to the player Patty means?
What do you think? Maxwell, Cagle? Hope we find out soon.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I believe it is going to be Maxwell! :ou:
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

It's going to pisss those clowns up the road in stoolwater off !!!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:29 pm I believe it is going to be Maxwell! :ou:
I agree with this. I have this prediction from two different good sources.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

This is my stance on Aug 3rd at 4:32 PM. IF Maxwell has been added to the Sooners and we see that in a posting today, I am both happy and sad.

Happy because the Sooners have picked up a quality left handed arm who is probably the best player in the portal. (I am not really a Vawter fan.) MAxwell would also by far be the biggest addition to the Sooners this summer also.

I am also sad because of what this potentially does to the pitching staff for OU. Despite the fact that OU's staff will be considerably better, there are downsides to the pickup. Before anyone says it, yes, I do trust Coach Gasso and Rocha, but there are now 6 arms in the bullpen.

* IT makes perfect sense that Maxwell and May are the two pitchers in the #1 and #2 spots is some order.
* To me, the best scenario is that Deal wins the #3 spot in the fall and than Keeney falls to #4. I think this will happen.
* Betweed Maxwell, May and Deal they probably throw 375 innings. That leaves maybe 25-30 innings for everyone else.

As a result of that:

* I think Monticelli will red-shirt.
* I think Keeney will think about transferring in December. (I am also not that high on Keeney due to her stats over 4 years. She can throw innings but that need is no longer valuable without an injury at OU. )
* Geurin will pick up the extra innings remaining much like in 2023 as Deal did as #4.

What could make me sad is this. Keeney becomes the #3 pitcher and Deal gets pushed down to #4 and Geurin to #5. With neither of them getting the innings they need to develop into what OU needs for 2025, it would be tough in 2025 with really four 'non-proven' pitchers in Deal, Geurin, Monticelli and Lowry. To me, at least one of those has to throw 100+ innings in 2024 to be ready for 2025. I will always be a 'develop your young players guy' over a 5th year transfer or even a 4th year transfer, because I am a builder more than a fixer.

Boomer Sooner!
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Maxwell signed. One pitcher will transfer. I don’t think they can make a move until December or next year but one pitcher will be gone!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Lasooner11 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:08 am Maxwell signed. One pitcher will transfer. I don’t think they can make a move until December or next year but one pitcher will be gone!
Lasooner11, I always appreciate your insights and opinions, so please don't take this the wrong way.
But do you know for a fact that one pitcher is definitely going to transfer? or is this just logical thinking on your part. I have similar thoughts about this as well, but i have nothing to back it up---just my own random thoughts.
And also Maxwell has signed--for sure?
thanks!
aka Crimson47
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Not 100% but closely tied to the program as an uncle. First reaction is to jump ship but people closely reviewing their options this morning. I doubt much can be done and stuck.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Yeah....that's what I was thinking. If Keeney, or anyone else hits the xfr portal in dec, they have to sit out next spring and cant play until the '25 season. That's a long wait.
Maxwell has been public about not wanting to be #1 but part of a staff. I wonder how much cut in IP she'd be willing to take?
And I'm with '56 on this, Deal needs a lot of innings going into the SEC as our #1. Best thing prob would be for Monticelli to redshirt, but would she do that?
aka Crimson47
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Monti will red shirt for sure.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

whew.....kind of a relief actually....
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Here's hoping May and Deal will earn their way to be the top 2 in the Sooner rotation. I think my biggest fear with a 6 person bullpen is losing Deal to a transfer.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:55 am Yeah....that's what I was thinking. If Keeney, or anyone else hits the xfr portal in dec, they have to sit out next spring and cant play until the '25 season. That's a long wait.
Maxwell has been public about not wanting to be #1 but part of a staff. I wonder how much cut in IP she'd be willing to take?
And I'm with '56 on this, Deal needs a lot of innings going into the SEC as our #1. Best thing prob would be for Monticelli to redshirt, but would she do that?
As a grad student, Keeney can get a waiver most likely like Dolcini did at Texas for 2022.

She could even de-commit from OU this weekend and then choose somewhere else. That option is open until she attends class, I think.