Jocelyn Erickson a Gator

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Jocelyn Erickson a Gator

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I had some indication that this might happen. From what I am told, she wants to catch and play 1B.

The two primary catchers for Florida in 2023 was Longley (will be a 5th-SR - .211 BA, .333 OB%, .430 Slug%) and Wilkie (will be a SR - .263 BA, .378 OB%, .500 Slug%).

The primary 1B for Florida in 2023 was Goeltz (will be a JR -.270 BA, .343 OB%. .378 Slug%).

Florida has the #1 recruiting class coming in to be Gators in August. The class consists of

Rank FLORIDA #1
1.0 Keagan Rothrock P/UT
2.5 Mia Williams SS/3B
4.5 Ava Brown P/1B
21.5 Alyssa Hovermale 3B/2B
32.5 Ariel Kowalewski C/UT
46.0 Cassidy McLellan OF/SS

She has probably made a good decision to go to Florida. I guess we will see her in 2025 and 2026 possibly.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Well......I guess maybe I'm the only one.....but I didn't see THAT coming.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I don't follow the social media like most people, but I'm heariing on another site that Erickson is now following Vawter and Maxwell....on twitter i think...
But that's kind of her job now, really.....
aka Crimson47
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

She leaves a talent crowded roster that does have plenty of potential pt for her to go to a potentially more crowded roster on a lesser team ? Whatever .
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I think she will be a much better catcher than all the rest they have put together, imho......
And she'll certainly be a much better hitter than what they have.
aka Crimson47
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

Who cares, florida sucks. They've yet to recover from the soul crushing :ou: gave them in 2917. Shay was pretty hot, still is. :)
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

Seems odd. Sounds like she left OU for a similar situation. She could have stayed and had a lot of playing time this year and potentialy start the following season. Am I missing something?
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Nothing would have changed for Erickson had she stayed at OU. She's a top player, but she would have been playing behind the best catcher in the universe Hansen and the surging star Cydney Sanders. Then she'd battle for right field and play mostly behind Torres and no guarantee at DP with Parker and others coming in. At Florida, she will start day one, just like Nugent at Tennessee, and both will elevate their teams into contenders, though Tennessee needs some pitching. Year two of Nugent's ultimate softball life passed with her mostly sitting on the bench, contributing only here an there. I don't think Erickson wants her second year to go that way.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

The Far Journey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:37 am Nothing would have changed for Erickson had she stayed at OU. She's a top player, but she would have been playing behind the best catcher in the universe Hansen and the surging star Cydney Sanders. Then she'd battle for right field and play mostly behind Torres and no guarantee at DP with Parker and others coming in. At Florida, she will start day one, just like Nugent at Tennessee, and both will elevate their teams into contenders, though Tennessee needs some pitching. Year two of Nugent's ultimate softball life passed with her mostly sitting on the bench, contributing only here an there. I don't think Erickson wants her second year to go that way.
Nailed it. Right there.
aka Crimson47
Sooner Cal

Post by Sooner Cal »

First, congratulation to Jocelyn. Never any doubt that she would have her choice of programs and I wish her all the best. I saw a post here that implied Jocelyn would have had better stats than Tiare had she been given more at bats. Since I keep all the stats on spread sheet, I thought I'd look this up. When I got back to this Board, the post was gone. Good, because his stats were wrong. Jocelyn had 114 appearances at the plate. 8 were walks, twice she was bit by pitch so she had 104 official at bats. She hit 7 home runs, Jennings hit 17. Jennings had 207 appearances at the plate and was walked 27 times so she had 180 at bats. Batting Average (Erickson .337, Jennings .422) Slugging Average (Erickson .644, Jennings .794). Looking deeper, Jocelyn had a 4 game streak hitting a homer against San Jose, Longwood, SF Austin and Army, 3 games later she had one against Texas A&M. Her last two came against ISU and the California in the regionals.Tiare's came against Army, Utah, Florida State, Auburn (2), Iowa State, Texas (2), Miami, Baylor, Kansas, Cal (2), Clemson (2), and Tennessee. Tiare may not have hit as many homers as she did in year 1 and 2, but her role was different. She's one of the best hitters in the game and to suggest that Erickson would have matched her with more at bats was definitely putting the cart before the horse.

It was disappointing when she entered the portal, as it was when Sophia and Jordy did. As I see it, their departures create opportunities for the newcomers. Hopefully, Jocelyn will have a very good year at Florida and our players who get opportunities created by her departure have great season too. Look forward, not backwards.
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

The Far Journey wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:37 am Nothing would have changed for Erickson had she stayed at OU. She's a top player, but she would have been playing behind the best catcher in the universe Hansen and the surging star Cydney Sanders. Then she'd battle for right field and play mostly behind Torres and no guarantee at DP with Parker and others coming in. At Florida, she will start day one, just like Nugent at Tennessee, and both will elevate their teams into contenders, though Tennessee needs some pitching. Year two of Nugent's ultimate softball life passed with her mostly sitting on the bench, contributing only here an there. I don't think Erickson wants her second year to go that way.
Maybe I misunderstood prior information. I thought she could potentially be playing behind a 5th year senior at catcher.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

jmac11 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:42 pm
Maybe I misunderstood prior information. I thought she could potentially be playing behind a 5th year senior at catcher.
Longley is a 5th-YR Senior, but she hit .211 in 2023 with a few EBH. Longley is a defensive catcher primarily.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Stay here and be part of championships or go elsewhere and watch the Sooners win championships . Whatever floats your boat .