One of my fav's of all-time...Nice Article

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Oklahombre

One of my fav's of all-time...Nice Article

Post by Oklahombre »

Not only one of my favorite players but loved his coaching. No one can convince me he deserved firing but I'm sure someone will try. :dude: Stoops biggest mistake was not firing his brother instead. In Josh's last year here his team averaged around 35 points per game and that was running Bob's offense (Johnny Football). He did make the mistake of recruiting Knight, IMO.

:dillon:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tenne ... t-6-years/
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...he WAS one of mine too, basically started OU down the path to be named QB U by ESPN.

But, in the loss to Clemson, his offense couldn't make a first down. Stoops had little choice but to can him.
And I don't think he handled that real well.
Understand being a little bitter, but he was a little too waa-waa for me.
I've heard Teddy Lehman say he's moderated his disdain for OKLAHOMA somewhat, and I hope that's true.

But, I detest and abhor the Tenn. fans. When I lived in Nashville back in the late 80's and early 90's they were insufferable.
Been a few bad behavior examples since then. The debacle of refusing to allow the hire of Greg Schiano. The throwing debris, beer cups and seat cushions on the field, that halted a game.

If Josh doesn't approach or equal his win total of last season, I think they'll turn on him. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Man, Josh was treated wrong here imo. His offense was putting up numbers overall and it's hard for me to reconcile someone with as much history with the program deserved to be fired for one game against Clemson. When he was fired, my initial thought was "wow, Bob must be make wholesale changes because if he's firing Josh, he's gotta fire Mike because that's the obvious one". Anyway, Mike stayed. I would have been bitter if I was Josh too.

FWIW, my experience with Tennessee fans is the same. Never lived in Knoxville (or Tennessee for that matter) but I did spend an extended time for work in Knoxville during football season. I can definitely say they gave me another reason to hate all things orange.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Rough Rider wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:52 pm Man, Josh was treated wrong here imo. His offense was putting up numbers overall and it's hard for me to reconcile someone with as much history with the program deserved to be fired for one game against Clemson. When he was fired, my initial thought was "wow, Bob must be make wholesale changes because if he's firing Josh, he's gotta fire Mike because that's the obvious one". Anyway, Mike stayed. I would have been bitter if I was Josh too.

FWIW, my experience with Tennessee fans is the same. Never lived in Knoxville (or Tennessee for that matter) but I did spend an extended time for work in Knoxville during football season. I can definitely say they gave me another reason to hate all things orange.
I agree with you. The way Josh was treated and the way he was let go, was handled very poorly, in my opinion. I've heard that he hasn't worked things out with Bob since that and I've heard that he has. That's for someone else to figure out not me. I especially hate it since he was the last QB to bring us a NC, and as far as I know, won't set foot on campus.

It should set things up for a natural rivalry in the SEC (1 of many I'm guessing).
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...wasn't one of Bob's better moments either, I'll grant you that.
Just an ugly situation all around, but the SOONER offense performance vs. the Tigers was worse than abysmal. Was embarrassing.
OU was shutout in effect with only a garbage TD late in the game vs. Clemson backups.
But, I maintain refusing to say the word OKLAHOMA, refusing to set foot on campus, carrying a grudge in a vagabond profession like coaching is a bit much for me.

Stoops is long gone.

OKLAHOMA is still Josh's alma mater.

If he hates it now, I'm sorry for him but I have no empathy. :dude:

AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

If you take a step back and look at the total picture, Josh's firing put him on the path of the coaching career that he is now being honored for. Maybe it wasn't the "perfect" firing, but it does lead to support the saying "When one door closes, another one is opened". That's not to say had Bob fired Mike, Josh may have very well been Bob's replacement......but that's all speculation and the storyline may have been completely different.
captnop

Post by captnop »

IMHO if Stoops has one BIG mistake in his time at OU, it was bringing Mike back. It caused BV to leave ( which might not have been all bad since he learned a great deal at Clemson) and if you fire Josh .. you HAVE to fire Mike. Also Josh was running the offense Stoops wanted!!! It's not like it was Josh's idea to change the O. As for the Clemson game, Mike's D couldn't stop Clemson either. At this point it is what it is. I'm sorry Josh doesn't like OU anymore, but I agree with a previous poster, if he has a bad year or two, Tennessee fans will turn on him just like that.
UtahSooner83

Post by UtahSooner83 »

I think Bob set Josh up for failure by promoting him to being OC to soon. Clearly what he was doing was not working, and he was not recruiting top quarterbacks either. And then switching to the pistol formation? What a head scratcher.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well Bob is like any other man, in that we all make mistakes when looking back. As far as hiring Mike back, blood is thicker than
water. What amazed me is that Bob only won one NC ?

Fly🪰 :ou:
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

not going to claim yhat my opinion is THE RIGHT ONE but it is mine . So here goes JOSH WAS SCREWED OVER . First he was made OC when Bob the mindnumbing (IMHO ) decision to install the spread option offense a system Josh never operated as a player and as far as I can tell never coached in. This lead to recruiting qbs like Trevor Knight.TK was a run pass qb as were Blake Bell, Cody Thomas . Add to to that JH had to run zone option which was a total farce , we ran zone read action BUT the qb under Bob's orders always pitched . Did not take long for teams to catch on to BS's BS.

Then after the season it i stated OU is going back to the past and going back to the original spread concept in Bob's early years . I jumped for joy JH was going to get to run HIS style of offense .oh happy days ! Then the bloody axe fell . I said it then and I stand by it to this day JH would have done everything and IMHO more with OUr offense that the lowly snake did .I also would Swear to HEAVEN ABOVE That when Bob handed JH the keys to the Sooner Schooner Josh will not only accept and be nonly the equal but superior to THE Snake . Finally because Of Josh's great love of OU he would not slither on his belly out of town in search of greater riches and an easier path .

I'm sure others may disagree and some strongly so but I thank you for allowing to get this off my chest .
captnop

Post by captnop »

Pretty similar to my thoughts as well!!
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Appreciate all that JH has done and did.But as My China Buddy said,:Better repeat last years performance year after year or your butt is on FIRE quick!!!
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

OU Chinaman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:16 pm ...he WAS one of mine too, basically started OU down the path to be named QB U by ESPN.

If Josh doesn't approach or equal his win total of last season, I think they'll turn on him. :cool:

That is a football axiom that applies not just to JH but all coaches at P5( except Mike Gumby at Payne County Tractor Drivin Academy) Josh has done better than every Vol coach back to Fulmer.

I want to go on record that I am a BV guy BUT if this coming season were to be a repeat of last seasons' BLAKEISH disaster he would also be under the gun. It does not end ther because improving only to 8-5 would leave BV's seat near scalding. IMHO BV needs at least a 10-2 reg season and a bowl win. I think that is achievable but I thought that last year too .
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

OU Chinaman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:22 pm ...wasn't one of Bob's better moments either, I'll grant you that.
Just an ugly situation all around, but the SOONER offense performance vs. the Tigers was worse than abysmal. Was embarrassing.
OU was shutout in effect with only a garbage TD late in the game vs. Clemson backups.
But, I maintain refusing to say the word OKLAHOMA, refusing to set foot on campus, carrying a grudge in a vagabond profession like coaching is a bit much for me.

Stoops is long gone.

OKLAHOMA is still Josh's alma mater.

If he hates it now, I'm sorry for him but I have no empathy. :dude:

I would point out that the poor o performance was a product of Bob wanting the optionless spread option run .The very next season the Muleshoe Snake only scored 17 with a Heisman finalist qb while running his offense his way . As for Josh's response to his firing I would point out JH was fired from the job he loved at a school where many(myself include d ) thought he would be Bob's heir. Then 2 years later BS up and hands the keys to the Muleshoe Snake . Add to that that after The Snake posted a 55-10 record he slithers out of town .

JH was justifiably angry and bitter; but the impression I get is that BV on the QT has connected BS and JH on the sly and tensions are lower now . Ok part that is just a fever induced. sleep deprived stab at humor BUT I have heard that there is at least a grain of truth .
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...went back & read my post and the only real difference I see between OUr opinions is you blame Bobby Stoops for Heupel's O performance AND you think Josh's reaction was justifiable and understandable.
Fair enough, I'm going to take issue with that.
Respect your opinion,...but rest assured I damn sure don't share it. (Josh looks good in Orange, don't you think?) :cool: