Turnipseed out

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
SoonerTony

Turnipseed out

Post by SoonerTony »

Being reported all over. This is very surprising.

Anybody have any insight on why he is leaving?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I read to spend more time with family. Still had 6 momths on contract

In Brent I Trust :D
UtahSooner83

Post by UtahSooner83 »

Rumor I heard was banging a coed.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

UtahSooner83 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:58 pm Rumor I heard was banging a coed.

Welp, if true, that'll getcha encouraged to "retire".... :shock:
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

If I could bang a coed at my age I would be willing to retire .
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

I'm seeing all kind of reasons for TT's departure on OU message boards. The most consistent theme is he clashed with others at the OU athletic department. I am starting to see some concern among fans and podcasters like Gabe and Teddy about the future of OU football. TT leaving is not a good thing as he has a proven track record of building NC programs. OU is building a football complex but is apparently way behind other programs. And accordingly to Teddy Lehman we are also behind on NIL money. BV is likely to pick his local buddy Woody Glass, a Norman attorney, to file TT's position.

I dunno but all of this smacks of an entrenched local good ole' boy administration which is slow or unyielding to necessary changes to make the program competitive at a top level. OU is not getting the top commitments like last year and we have recently gotten a load of 3 stars and some lightly regarded DL to provide depth. I hope I am wrong, but I don't like the way this is all going.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

ColleyvilleSooner wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:36 pm I'm seeing all kind of reasons for TT's departure on OU message boards. The most consistent theme is he clashed with others at the OU athletic department. I am starting to see some concern among fans and podcasters like Gabe and Teddy about the future of OU football. TT leaving is not a good thing as he has a proven track record of building NC programs. OU is building a football complex but is apparently way behind other programs. And accordingly to Teddy Lehman we are also behind on NIL money. BV is likely to pick his local buddy Woody Glass, a Norman attorney, to file TT's position.

I dunno but all of this smacks of an entrenched local good ole' boy administration which is slow or unyielding to necessary changes to make the program competitive at a top level. OU is not getting the top commitments like last year and we have recently gotten a load of 3 stars and some lightly regarded DL to provide depth. I hope I am wrong, but I don't like the way this is all going.

I think thos is an overreaction. Message boards (fans) always thrive on rumors when details are slim.

And the recruiting comment is just rubbish. Like last year our class comes in late. Its by design not by problems. Dec is when class matters. Fans panic watching other teams get commits but same fans don’t come back when same players decommit.

We brought in a top 5 class last year and have some big targets/leans who are going through their visits. Once a player commits they are solid. There will always be portals but not because of recruiting process, but because of pecking order or playing time. Oir commits under BV have been rock solid.

Another note, every school needs a different amount of recruits each year. If a school is in its “needs less” year their ranking will be lower due to less volume needed that year. You have to look at average per recruit but not until Dec and even then you might bring in some in state players who are 3* yet help your name in your state. We lost recruiting OK under prior staff and are getting back to it. There are some great 24/25/26 recruits in state and you need to show you support state recruits so you take a few lower ranked in state recruits looking at the bigger picture.

There is zero need to panic about OU. I don’t like to go down that rabbit hole due to where we are in the turnaround of the program. It takes 3 years to know but after 2 full years you have a good idea. We are only at the 1.4 year mark.
In Brent I Trust :D
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

Yes, I agree it is too early to draw any definitive conclusions about the BV regime. The next year is a critical one. BV needs to show he significantly improved our on the field product. And importantly he needs to follow up last year's recruiting class with another strong one. All of this will define how competitive we will be in the SEC. So I will reserve final judgment - for now. But I cannot deny I have some of the same concerns as other fans and podcasters. Losing TT is not a good thing, especially if he is replaced by BV's good ole boy Norman attorney buddy Woody Glass who doesn't have any background in athletic management.