Spark Travels to Viera Florida for 3 Game Series with the Pride

Off topic forum to post about the OKC Spark

This is an experiment. If it is popular enough then we will keep it
TropicalSooner

Spark Travels to Viera Florida for 3 Game Series with the Pride

Post by TropicalSooner »

The Spark travel to the Sunshine State of Florida for a 3 game series with the Pride. The Pride is located in Viera, Florida, which is very close to the US Space Coast. Largest nearby city is probably Melbourne, Fl. near the Atlantic Coast not far from Cape Canaveral.
We have just finished up a 3 game series with the Pride so we know them very well.

Our offense is taking shape nicely, with Moultrie, Alo, Lee, Malu'ulu all hitting for good averages and while Leilua is only hitting .231, she has crushed 3 HRs and is tied with Moultrie for the team lead in HRs.
During a couple of pregame interviews with Coach Flores, I've heard her wanting the lineup to become more agressive at the plate. We have been pretty disciplined so far and have quite a few walks to our credit. But it seems that Coach wants the hitters to jump out a little quicker in the count. Seems I recall several called strikes on the first pitch or two when I am able to listen to some of the games. Then the batters have to work the count back to their favor. That does create longer pitch counts on the opposing pitchers of course, which can be helpful in the summer heat and humidity, but I think Coach may be right in that if they are going to throw a first pitch right down main street--may as well swing at it.

Defense is looking to become a strong suit of the team also. I really like Sherrill at 3B and Williams at SS and Leilua at 1B. The outfield is still being worked out but so far everyone has performed as they should and doesn't seem to have any glaring issues out there.

Pitching has been pretty good too. I hope we get to see a little more of Emily Watson and Alex Storako this weekend. Delce, Ricketts, and Gobourne have been really good so far.

First game will be tonight at 6pm (central time I think).

Edit:
According to the schedule it now appears tonight's game will start at 7pm CDT.

2nd Edit:
Due to rain and lightning, tonight's game has been officially postponed.
Try again tomorrow!

Go Spark!!

-------------------------------------------

Sat 6/24 Lineup vs Pride

RF Moultrie
DP Alo
3B Sherrill
1B Leilua
C Lee
CF Malau'ulu
SS Williams
LF Whaley
2B Bayless

P Gobourne

Spark Win 6-3

WP Gobourne
LP Roberts

--------------------------------

Sun 6/25 Lineup vs Pride

RF Moultrie
LF Alo
3B Sherrill
1B Leilua
C Lee
CF Malau'ulu
DH Ricketts
SS Williams
2B Whaley

P Delce

The Spark took their first loss tonight, losing to the Pride 3-1.
Just couldn't seem to get the bats going. Haley Lee had the one hit deep LC that scored Sydney Sherrill from 2B. The Spark could only muster 3 hits on the night.
LP Delce
WP Carda

Next up: the road trip continues to Oxford Alabama where the Spark have a 3 game series with the Vipers.
First pitch will be at 7pm Tuesday night June 27th.

As a side note.....the Texas Smoke are literally smoking everyone in their path. When it comes time to play them, they will be very tough, indeed.

Go Spark!!
aka Crimson47