You May Want to Hold on to Your Hats - Lots of Rumors about OU Softball

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Interesting interview last night (Patty knew already)

In Brent I Trust :D
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

TropicalSooner wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:35 pm Thank You. Guess I'm a little gun shy right now.
Me too. Gun shy and sad.. but happy for jordy I hope she does great things!!
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I wonder if Canady would like to get closer to home?
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

AllSooner wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:19 pm I wonder if Canady would like to get closer to home?
As talented as she is, if the rumors of her dad shopping her for NIL $$$ are true, I'm not sure I'd want that drama/headache anywhere close to the program.

I'm all for athletes being able to make money & capitalize on their fame, but the NCAA has to do something to regulate the NIL stuff. As it stands now, every athlete on every team in the country is annually a free agent. It must be next to impossible for coaches to build and manage their rosters. Take Moser in MBB - he's had to rebuild almost half his roster in each of his 3 offseasons he's been in Norman. There's no way you can build a program or culture like that.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Brisket wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:48 am
AllSooner wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:19 pm I wonder if Canady would like to get closer to home?
As talented as she is, if the rumors of her dad shopping her for NIL $$$ are true, I'm not sure I'd want that drama/headache anywhere close to the program.

I'm all for athletes being able to make money & capitalize on their fame, but the NCAA has to do something to regulate the NIL stuff. As it stands now, every athlete on every team in the country is annually a free agent. It must be next to impossible for coaches to build and manage their rosters. Take Moser in MBB - he's had to rebuild almost half his roster in each of his 3 offseasons he's been in Norman. There's no way you can build a program or culture like that.
Oh man....say it isn't so!
I have not heard that, but if it is true....that would so much remind me of the 5* D Tackle that we lost to A&M last year because of Dad getting more $$$ for his kid at a&m. If that is what Canady is going to be all about....then I totally agree. We don't need that headache. Beginning to sound like it would not be a cultural fit here anyway. Rats..............
aka Crimson47
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

I disagree with this take. You have to adapt to the change. If Canady is in the transfer portal, if you as a program wants to win a championship you have to compete and do what you can to get the prize. Talent is not cheap. We cant be cheap and should not be cheap. Use football for example. If OU is not willing to do this, you can forget about competing and winning in the SEC.
UtahSooner83

Post by UtahSooner83 »

I don’t exactly agree that she is a “country girl.” She graduated from Papillion Lavista HS which is akin to being from like Mustang. I do think she must have felt a lot of guilt over initially being committed to Neb then going to OU. She accomplished her goals at OU, it seems & now wants to help her home state program, which actually used to be really good.

Incidentally, her high school was used in the film Election, with a very young Reese Witherspoon.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

So, I'm guessing this (Bahl and to a lesser extent Nugent) was NOT the news that Chris Plank was referring to regarding "transfers that would make the softball world jealous". At least I don't think that would be what he was referring to. I suppose it could have been.

But if not, I am thinking that we still have those potential announcements coming? I'm theorizing that Chris knew about the incoming but maybe didn't know about the outgoing? Or maybe he even knew of Jordy's potential exit and wanted to leave OU fans with a little comfort knowing the announcement would happen with him on vacation. If Patty et al knew from fall that Jordy was really homesick and that she didn't enroll for this coming fall by Mar/Apr, my guess is that they started working a plan. Perhaps the incoming transfers that will make the softball world jealous are a result.

I know time will tell - but I can't really imagine that Chris Plank was referring to Bahl and Nugent when he alluded to big transfer news making everyone yet again jealous of OU unless what he said we completely misconstrued and I guess that could be the case as well.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

We may have to agree to disagree on this one.
I am definitely NOT opposed to student athletes getting NIL. They deserve that, and they should get every penny they can out of it.
But when an athlete's dad goes shopping her around to the highest bidders for her services....then that sticks in my craw and not in a good way.
aka Crimson47
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:18 pm We may have to agree to disagree on this one.
I am definitely NOT opposed to student athletes getting NIL. They deserve that, and they should get every penny they can out of it.
But when an athlete's dad goes shopping her around to the highest bidders for her services....then that sticks in my craw and not in a good way.
Agree. And if Patty's looking for a player to fit into OU culture, that ain't it. Me, money, team in that order does not do it. I hope for her sake, this is not what Canady is going to do.
RahOKU

Post by RahOKU »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:15 pm I know time will tell - but I can't really imagine that Chris Plank was referring to Bahl and Nugent when he alluded to big transfer news making everyone yet again jealous of OU unless what he said we completely misconstrued and I guess that could be the case as well.
Agree. I heard Plank on the Game 2 post-game show talking about this, and he was almost giddy about something he obviously knew or had gotten wind of. No way he was teasing Jordy and Sophia's announcement.

:ou:
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

Patty has to go to Portal and get the very best pitcher available! I would hope she also picks up two big time hitters.
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

I can say that if Canady’s dad tell OU 200K to transfer, I will take that. NIL will get on working. You don’t turn away a generational talent for 100-200K. Remember, Patty makes 1.6 million. All hypothetical of course. Doubt Canady leaves Stanford. And we don’t know about the fit or not. Only Patty and team will know.
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

i can tell u if you get Canady, u will need 2-3 more pitchers because the others won’t stay around. Money talks and other players walk!
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: So you are saying May and Deal leave
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: So you are saying May and Deal leave