OU's Advantage at Hall of Fame Stadium

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
SoonerTX

OU's Advantage at Hall of Fame Stadium

Post by SoonerTX »

Regarding OU's softball team having an advantage with the National Championship being OKC, I have a point that I have not heard mentioned.

Does OU and OSU have an advantage with the event being in OKC? Yes.
Does Texas and Texas A&M have an advantage over most other schools (including OU) by being in a state rich with softball talent and having scads of alumni money? Yes
Do the California schools have an advantage over most other schools (including OU) being in a state rich with softball talent, great weather, and beaches? Yes

Did Texas, Texas A&M, and the California schools earn those advantages? No, and the NCAA is not going to tell them something should be done to decrease the impact of those advantages.

So why should some people complain that OU's advantage should be addressed? I think they shouldn't.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: I think the contract with Hall of Fame Stadium is for several years (someone correct me if I am wrong.). I wont say that OKC wont ever loose thr contract to host the CWS because we did loose the National Finals Rodeo to vegas when built a fancy arena to host it. The HOF Stadium besides being the largest and nicest softball facility os also centrally located fot all the teams in the country. If another city or state wants to compete for the bid then they will have to build a facility comparable to HOF statium.
To build one from scratch would cost well over a 100 million maybe up to 150 million.
They also will have to have hotel space for 8 teams and places to eat. I dont loose as ny sleep over these winebags who cry unfair. OU went from 2005 to 2011 without making a CWS appearance. That is when the super regionals went to 2 out of 3 series. OU just had to get better and they did and have been to CWS every year except for 2015 and the covid year
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

If OU wasn’t such a dominant team, nobody would give a crap where the world series was played.

Our girls would have won the title regardless where the games were played.
White River

Post by White River »

Golfers complained for years about the throngs of people that came to see Tiger Woods play and how tough it was to play with the galleries that followed him. However, none of them complained about the increased paychecks that came as a result of the added interest in golf. The NCAA, softball and women's sports benefit from the performance of the Sooner Softball Program. They'll complain about it and many won't acknowledge the benefits, but the growth of the game is accelerating because of it.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I believe I read somewhere that the Sooners only played 16 games at Marita Hynes this year. And only 6 games at Hall of Fame.....22 out of 62!
All I hear from those complaining are echos of jealousy!
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: When OU plays road games thry often have more cheering for them than the home team. They are like rock stars when they travel to tournaments. They had people from 38 states come to watch them play Texas in a regular season game st HOF stadium. The coverage of college softball by ESPN has has definately grown the sport but having a team like OU that has national popularity deesnt hurt.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:28 pm :ou: When OU plays road games thry often have more cheering for them than the home team. They are like rock stars when they travel to tournaments. They had people from 38 states come to watch them play Texas* in a regular season game st HOF stadium. The coverage of college softball by ESPN has has definately grown the sport but having a team like OU that has national popularity deesnt hurt.
IF the Sooners have an "advantage", this is it....THEIR FOLLOWING! Not the field they play on!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...SEEMS LIKE i HEARD OKC HAS A CONTRACT TO HOST THE WCWS UNTIL 2035.

It was open for bids, and OKC invested $40 million dollars in upgrades,...nobody else was willing to pony up!

See ya next year, and the year after, and the year after, and the year after... :dude:

HOPE YOU CHOKE ON IT, Whiners! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I don't think we've heard the last of the whiners! Just wait til the '24 Sooners step on Hall of Fame as the favorites to win the WCWS! Next years team is likely to better yet....especially if rumors of the portal have any bearing. Can anyone say Back to Back to Back to Back? (Gosh, I hope I didn't jinx 'em)
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:28 pm :ou: When OU plays road games thry often have more cheering for them than the home team. They are like rock stars when they travel to tournaments. They had people from 38 states come to watch them play Texas* in a regular season game st HOF stadium. The coverage of college softball by ESPN has has definately grown the sport but having a team like OU that has national popularity deesnt hurt.
This!

When OU travels to play games at opponents stadiums, we do have a contingent of supporters that make the trip to support our team. There are also, usually anyway, Sooner grads that have moved to a lot of those away locations or within a reasonable short driving distance that will also attend. So yes, we usually do have good Sooner support at our away games. But what has been helpful to many of those teams is it draws out a lot of "fans" of the opposing teams to attend a game (which they generally don't do) and it also draws out general public that just wants to come out to see what the Sooners are all about. This fills their stadium up for probably the only time during their entire season. To say the Sooners are not putting $$$ in the pockets of our opposing teams is just not true. And it's really helpful to the poor teams that don't even turn out anybody for their other home games. Everywhere the Sooners travel to play, those games are sold out way in advance. And sometimes, that may be the only game that that team actually charges admission to attend--unless they happen to luck into a conference championship game at their location at the end of the season.
aka Crimson47
TALSOONER

Post by TALSOONER »

Ideally, for the sport, there would be 4 or 5 locations around the country that could host the WCWS (like football.) As a fan, traveling to the same location year after year is not as fun as multiple locations can be.

AND I sympathize with other fans upset that OU get's to play near home frequently (more fans show up, players feel more comfortable.) But until they have quality alternatives it stays our advantage.

I just hope LA or some other venue doesn't BUY the WCWS, and some other team can reap the benefits we enjoy .
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Seek to understand, then to be understood....I recalled this quote when thinking about this topic.

I get why people are chirping. From what I have read it is a mixture of feelings from simple jealousy/envy to genuine concern about the impact on the overall sport. Shake in a few extra issues like the transfer portal and the NIL deals, and you have a cocktail of grievance and worry about things not all fans understand very well, including myself!

To say OU has an advantage at the HOF in OKC is TRUE in many ways. I can agree with the angry mob on this specific point. It doesn't hurt to be close to Norman.
However, saying this advantage is the only or main reason OU wins there is very questionable logic and reasoning. In the last three seasons, OU has lost 8 games in some 170+ played! And this year, OU played the nation's hardest regular season schedule ON THE ROAD for the most part (with only 20+/- home games).

The Data says: The Sooners win where they play, not play where they win.

Two things can be true at the same time: OU has some advantages at HOF - and - OU would be the favorite anywhere they played. (Side note, the team stayed at a hotel in OKC just like all the other teams did. OU gave up the advantage of 'sleeping in their own beds' voluntarily and in a spirit of fairness.)

And all this 'bad for the sport' stuff:
Isn't it also 'bad for the sport' when softball coaches like White and Hutchins (ret.) start accusing or implying their fellow coaches/teams are cheating and/or creating unfair advantages? Running down specific transfer players as 'traitors' or 'mercenaries' is at all a positive thing for the girls that play the game? It looks childish and mean-spirited to me. And the hypocrisy of some of it....really?!

All I have read and seen is that the sport is growing in leaps and bounds, too!

I just hate to see any negativity spread around about what the team accomplished this year and in years past. A positive and challenging narrative about the future, that can articulate the issues clearly and fairly, is the way I'd like to see it go.
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

Hasn't helped OSU this year or ever. Logic ceases to exist on twitter.