Do You Think The 2023 Sooner Softball Team is the Best One Ever???

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Do You Think The 2023 Sooner Softball Team is the Best One Ever???

Post by TropicalSooner »

Here's a loaded question for you---
Is this latest version of Sooner Softball the best one of all?
That's a bit like the statement "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder".
How can you argue against all the Alo led teams?
How can you argue against all the Syd Romero/Caleigh Clifton/Shay Knighten/Paige Parker led teams?

To me, this year's team seemed to be the most "Balanced" team. Or at least one of the most balanced teams we've had. We could hit for power anywhere up and down the lineup. The three leadoffs--Coleman/Jennings/Lee...if you make it past them, you're looking at Hansen/Brito/Sanders.....no let up there.....and at the bottom--Lyons/Torres/Boone......Anyone anywhere can get you hits/doubles/ home runs/ or just get on base. Pass the bat! And the bench---Nugent/Erickson/Lilio--you'd rather pitch to them....really? The depth this year is nothing short of amazing.
Defense? Nation's leader. Double plays? No problem. They make them look easy. Stretch a single into a double? Not if Coleman or Boone is in the outfield. Stolen bases? Nobody even tries anymore. Again depth.
And.....Pitching. Pitching! Nice having three starting pitchers on your staff. And two of them took no losses. Who got the one loss we had? Bahl. Oh yeah.....wayyyyy back years ago it seems.

I don't know.....I do know everyone has their favorite team. And maybe "favorite team" shouldn't necessarily be confused with "the best". Hard to say, I guess.

For me, this one takes the cake. But I'm the newbie around here, and don't have the same exposure and history almost all the rest of you have seen over the years.
What do you all think?

Was this one the Best??

Incidentally.....tip of the hat and a big Sooner shoutout to Alex Storako. Coach had enough faith in her to give her the start---and she wound up her wonderfully successful college career with the victory in the College World Series. Her childhood dream come true. She has been a true asset to this team. And she will be missed.

Boomer!!
aka Crimson47
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I am trying to avoid recency bias here and I do think they are the most balanced as you said but not the best overall.

I do think some of the best Sooner players of all time are on this team and still have some history to make.
You shall not pass
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Gandalf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 am I am trying to avoid recency bias here and I do think they are the most balanced as you said but not the best overall.

I do think some of the best Sooner players of all time are on this team and still have some history to make.
If they aren't the best, what team was? Head to head, what other team could take a 3 game series from this group?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

IF I was a coach of a Top 10 Team, I would chose to play the 2023 team instead of the 2022 team.

The 2022 pitching staff is really just as good as the 2023 team with a healthy Jorday Bahl all season.

The difference in defense is minimal also.

The 2022 Sooners had the best hitter to ever play the game on the team.

To me there is no question. i play the 2023 season as my first choice.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

MsProudSooner wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:50 am
Gandalf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 am I am trying to avoid recency bias here and I do think they are the most balanced as you said but not the best overall.

If they aren't the best, what team was? Head to head, what other team could take a 3 game series from this group?
Good question, I would go with last years. However that is like me picking out the tallest giant, they are all deserving.

The stat on TV last night showed one weakness from this year. That was the lack of production for runs on hits. Don’t remember specifically but most runs were from HRs and not field hits.

Obviously a nit pick and any of the last few year’s teams have been outstanding.
You shall not pass
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Here's my take. Is the '57 Chevy better than the Model T?.....Is the '70 Camaro better than the '57 Chevy?......Is the 2023 Corvette better than the '70 Camaro?
In my mind all of the answers to these questions are "Yes". But you can find faults with each. Same goes for my opinion of the Softball Teams. Each year things improve.....food, training, skill levels, equipment, competition, etc. It's hard for me to compare different generational items. Each Championship team was the best in that era and most have changed the bar for future teams.....and that's what counts. This year's team has definitely set some very high marks for any future teams, that is true. I do believe that records will be broken and someday this year's team records will be broken. But I do believe the records set by the 2023 Champs will not be broken for many years to come. THIS TEAM WAS AWESOME!
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I say yes. Even without Alo - this team was clutch EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY HAD TO BE EXCEPT ONCE. That can not be said about any other team.
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

This team doesnt have Alo. But, think of it this way. A dominant and healthy Jordy 23 vs Alo 22. 22 pitching vs 23 pitching. Can this team hit Hope? Its not question of Jordy because she was not healthy. I’m going with 23 team over 22 team, even with Alo, mainly due to a healthy Jordy and the balance.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

I think the best answer came from Jocelyn Alo last year at the post game presser after the Natty. When asked if they were the best team of all time, the other players gave somewhat diplomatic answers. Alo said yes they were because she was on it. But then she added that every year OU teams were better and that next year's team would be better than theirs.

I think that's right. Frankly, the only teams in NCAA history that could challenge the 2023 OU team as best ever in college softball are the two previous year's teams based on the numbers and the eye test of those fans close to the program on whether Coleman, Jennings, Hansen, Britto, Boone, May, and Bahl had improved since the previous year, and of course they have. Yes, Alo, the best hitter in softball history, was gone and that could not be replaced. But part of the loss, I believe, was made up with a line up that just crushed one through nine. Pitching was great in 22 when Jordy was healthy, but this year's Jordy, once she shook off the hangover from her injury, was something otherworldly. She peaked in the WCWS, where as 56 would say, she met Canady in the ring and after a long fight, KO'd her, then came back and did it again with a little help from her friends. Then took on a great pitcher in Sandercock and an outstanding FSU. Once more she showed she was the best. She is better than last year's best Jordy as is May significantly improved, while Storako and Trautwine, I think, are even up.

It's an odd Schizophrenic argument since we're talking about not only the same team but much the same players.

Teams of the last century. One thing I would say about the old timers that has been said before and better by others. All credit and respect to those pioneer young women, now in their fifties and sixties, who pushed softball forward into the future. It's true though that softball was centered on the West coast for many years and all nattys were season long contests between two or three teams. That was until an upstart softball team from the center of the country broke the West coast stranglehold in 2000. Since then, softball has spread across the country and the number of talented players has multiplied tenfold or more. There are great teams everywhere now and parity has been achieved in the sport, except for Oklahoma. I'm sorry Patty, but if expectations were often suffocating this year, wait till next year with Boone and May and five first team all-Americans returning.
Soonr80

Post by Soonr80 »

Yes. Nuff said
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

the answer is yes , this is the best.IMHO when you post the all time best record in NCAA history against one of the toughest schedule there can be no question . In fact IMHO we are not only the best Sooner but best ever in NCAA history . I would add that if you look at OUr Sooners over the last three seasons(176-8 record vs. the UCLA threepeat which was 163-19) I believe we have the greatest softball dynasty in history This is even more true when considering we have won 6 of the last 10 titles awarded.
White River

Post by White River »

Without a doubt, the 2024 team is the best of all time!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

White River wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:44 pm Without a doubt, the 2024 team is the best of all time!

We can only hope!
walt

Post by walt »

I liked the threat that 47 posted a few weeks ago. Which was the best of the 47 winning game consecutive wins, was it Bud's 47-game streak or was it Patty's 47s game winning streak? I don't think it is possible to pick one over the other. Which of the teams that built that 47-football-game streak was the best team? It is just impossible to pick one of Bud's 47 streak teams.

It was just great and I don't think Bud's 47 game will ever be beaten. it is just to hard to do what Bud and his teams did. I think the same that this streak of this year's team will be around for a long time.

Maybe the biggest softball streak of 53 games will turn into a 60-something winning streak after the next games of next year OU Softball may stretch it to 63 games or more.

The Fifty-Three softball streak may never be broken. Four straight Softball National Championships is a great team no matter what the streak might turn out to be.

I don't really get worked up to pick the greatest teams of both football and softball, I just like to know that OU is going to have the longest winning streaks for some time.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: All great comments and insights about past and present Sooner Softball pitchers. Erin Miller was asked on a pod cast about the 2013 team which she was a freshman on, who was better, the 2013 team or this years 2023 team. Her reply was ahe would have to see that team bat against Jordy and this years team bat against Kehlani Rickets.
My first softball game I attended was at the CWS in 2000 and watch OU play CAL. To be honest , I had not followed OU sofball until then I followed OU football probably since I was born along with OU baseball and OU mens and womens backetball.
A friend of mine attending OU invited me to the CWS game against CAL. He told me how OU had hired a new coach few years earlier and she had buit a very good team.
OU got down 3-0 very quick, and thought this CAL team is very good and OU just isnt to that level yet. Patty made the pitching change in brought in Jennifer Stewart who immediately shut down Cal and OU rallied to win. That weekend had a trip planned to lake Eufaula and listened to OU defeat their next opponent. I planned to stay through Monday when I got a call from my OU friend and was told that OU was playing UCLA for the National Championship and wanted to know if I wanted to go. Said said you bet and left yhe lake a day early. When we got to the Hall of Fame Stadium I took one look at the UCLA team and was in complete awe. I knew that they had ruled Softball. They all looked like race horses. Tall blond, great looking and great athletes. I said, I know if we got much of a chance. Needless after OU beat UCLA and got the Natty I was hooked on Softball.
When OU won the National Champtionship in Football in 2000 against Florida State which I was fortunate enough to attend and in Softball I thought OU was going to get back to winning back to winning Natinal Titles like they did in the 70s and 80s. For Softball I thought a series of Nat titles would follow after 2000.
Over the next few years, I learned its nor quite that easy. Even though OU continued making trips to the CWS, it seams like we would havev something happen to prevent us from reaching the title game. One year I remembered our pitching was awsome but we couldnt get the timely hit.
When the to post season tourmanent format changed to a best 2 out of 3 winner to advance we got sent to Arizona every year. The problem then was then we didnt have a deep enough pitching staff. I remember whe we finally broke through and beat them, I said finally.
Ib those days, I learned how important it was to have a pitching staff not just one ace which makes what Paige Parker did in 2016 all that more impressive.
So when it comes to comparing this years teams to past CWS champions it is hard to say. Its kind of like asking if you like a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. For the 2023 Sooner team, and Patty has said this, 2023 is her most complete team. From top of the order to the bottom, the most powerful hitters, the deepest bench and the deepest pitching staff OU has ever had.
As a staff Ace, a healthy Jordy Bahl is on par with all the great pitchers of the past. Keilani Ricketts, Paige Parker, Giselle Juarez when healthy and anyone else you want to list and while Storako and May were considered by many to be Aces also, they are not on Jordys level or atleast the level she reached at the CWS which Patty termed as her6 or 7th gear. As far as comaring the number 2 pitchers with other championship teams, i think Michelle Gascoign and Paige Loeary have the edge over May and Storako as far as the number 2 pitchers go. The thing about this years staff verse those in the past we have never had 2 number 2 pitchers at the same tme thisvgood and a stud freshman to boot. Also after Jordys injury, last year if Hope Trautein wasnt on staff, as great as our offense was, i dont know if we win the title.
Looking forward to 2024, the Sooners could even be better even if there record is not . A big key is Jordy Bahl staying healthy as well as Coleman and Jennings. If Sanders plays the whole season like she did in the later stages this year, that will key. Also if Erikson can get back to her early season batting average would be a big help.
Then you got a stud freshman class coming in. I watched a You Tude video of Ella Parker who is regarded as the most powerfull highschool batter in the country shes got muscles that bulge like Alo.
Also a big loss is Grace Lyons, her defensive play and leadership on this te will be hard to replace.
In closing if the 2024 returning starters stay healty , the returning partime starters reach their potentials, the incoming freshman are as good as adverised. Kristen Deal continues to improve and and if SJ can give some meaningful innings and bring in a couple of All Amerian players out of the portal, we may be having this same conversation next year. Do I hear a 4-peat.