#1 Oklahoma Sooner Women's Gymnastics: Nationals start Thursday!

This is the forum to follow our National Champions Gymnastics team
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Bottom post of the previous page:

OU catches UCLA with great rotation on the floor

Utah did well on floor and they pass UCLA as well

::rice2:: :dude:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

OU finishes on the vault. I feel good things are going to happen

Not nailing landings on vault
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Trautman nails her landing.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

So we advance. Tomorrow is the big night. Lots of steps after landings but a good night

TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

The Sooners had a solid beam and a very good floor. The beam was really good to see, after the falls at regionals. However, they were just meh on bars and vault, scoring just a tick below 49.5 on both events. Execution was very good for the Sooners, but not a lot of “sticks”. Each stick is worth .05 to .10 per gymnast. I think we only had 1 stick on both bars and vault. If we can get 3-4 sticks on each event, that should get us to 198.3 or 198.4.

My very casual observations over the last few years is that scoring is a little less strict in the finals. I would expect the winner Saturday afternoon will need 198.3 or better.

Watching these events is hard! I find myself having to work hard just to keep up with what is going on - far harder than football or softball. And the pressure these young ladies are under is intense. Fun.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners successfully advanced to the National Finals in Women's Gymnastics on Thursday night in the Semifinal #2 round of competition. The score was a 198.1625 on the night with strong scores in all four of the events. The Sooners started on the Bars with a 49.875 total with three 9.9000 or better led by Regan Smith with a 9.9250 on the event. The Sooners erased all memory of the Regional Finals Bars performance as they scored a 49.4875 with four Sooners scoring 9.9000 or better. Olivia Trautman posted a 9.9500 to lead the Sooners on the event. On the Floor, the Sooners turned in the best score of the night with a 49.6625 with five Sooners posting a 9.9000 or better. Jordan Bowers and Faith Torres posted 9.9500 for the team's best on the event. On their final event with a Finals berth almost secured, the Sooners posted a 49.4625 total and waited for the other three teams to finish. Olivia Trautman turned in another 9.9500 to lead the Sooners on the event as the final OU performer. With her score posted the Sooners were assured of a berth in the finals.

Utah, with a strong score on Beam of 49.5125 pushed themselves above the Sooners as they battled UCLA for the second spot in the Semifinals to advance to the Finals. Utah's ;ast three performers of the night scored a 9.9625, 10.0000 and a 9.9250 to advance to the Finals with a Total Score just above the Sooners. UCLA last three performers scored a 9.9125, a 9.9000 and a 10.000 to finish their night and season in a valiant effort to make the finals.

Along with Utah with a 198.2250 and Oklahoma with a 198.1625 in Semifinal #2, LSU finished with a 197.4750 and Florida with a 197.4000 in Semifinal #1 advanced to the Finals on Saturday. The Finals are at 3 PM on Saturday on ABC.

Olivia Trautman won the Vault Title last night with her 9.950 score with some pressure on her for a big score for the Team. Congrats to Trautman for coming back for one more season and battling injuries all year to get to this point.

Here is the staff writers article about the Sooners performance on thursday evening.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/4/13 ... -the-floor

I think the Sooners are in a very good position as the Sooners could have added a few more points with more stuck landings. Even KJ Kindler had this to say, "I felt like the team had incredible energy, but we definitely left a lot of tenths on the floor; there's no doubt about it. We can probably come up with six more (tenths) alone with landings on bars and beam and vault. To me, the gymnastics was phenomenal, but the landings could have been better tonight."

It will be an all-out performance for the Sooners on Saturday as they face three teams that they have defeated already earlier in the season.

Congrats to the team on their performance last night and for advancing to the Finals.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Gymnastics Team is simply the best! Their team score of 198.3875 is just one more of a sting of 198+ totals that the Sooners have put on the board this season. As the demand for higher scores is driven within the sport, the Sooners step up and deliver the higher scores with amazing consistency across all four events and as a team.

Oklahoma outscored Florida 198.2375, Utah 197.9375 and LSU 197.5250. With the 198+ score in the Finals, the Sooners posted a nation-leading 10 scores of at least 198 in 2023, tied for the most in NCAA history.

While the ABC pre-meet and live presentation focused on individual performances, the best team in the country, just did it the Sooner-Way. A team of great gymnasts outperformed the individuals that were focused on by ABC. Shame on ABC. While there are individual awards, the TEAM AWARD is the goal of NCAA. Oklahoma delivered a great story for ABC to focus on, if they had chosen to do so. But as was noted, there were t-shirts being worn in the arena that read, "Anyone but OU!". I think ABC ight have gotten caught up in that. While Bart Conner and his co-hosts gave OU their due (Especially Cooner by driving them in that direction) when they had to, they were focused elsewhere in my opinion.

Oklahoma put up a low of 46.5125 on the Beam and a high of 49.6750 on Floor in the Finals. Their 49.5625 on Vault and 49.6375 on bars were scores sandwiched between the high and low with only a 0.1625 difference between them. That is a recipe of success and a nice tasting sandwich as well. The fabulous young women with nerves of steel for OU gymnastics only scored lower than 9.9000 5 times in the finals. FIVE times out of 24 routines filled with the difficulty to win and the attention to detail it takes to score like champions. The Sooners had as many scores of 9.9500 as they had below 9.9000. That is amazing to me. (OU also had 5 individual marks of 10 on the day as well.)

Here is the staff wrtiers article about the Women's Gymnastics performance on Saturday.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/4/15 ... onal-title

Starting on Vault, the Sooners counted their only sub-9.900 score as they used Levasseur's 9.8875 along with two 9.900's by Stern and Bowers. Torrez posted a 9.925 before the veteran Trautman posted her 9.9500. The Sooners total of 49.5625 on the vault team score was 2nd on the day to Florida by 0.0125.

On the Bars, the Sooners counted scores of 9.9125 and greater for their 49.6375. Fletcher posted the 9.9125, Sievers, Bowers and Davis posted 9.925s and Trautman posted her second 9.9500 of the day. OU's total was 2nd behind Florida by 0.0750.

On the Beam, two balance wobbles caused two scores under 9.9000 for the Sooners. They used the 9.9850 posted by Dunn. Torrez and Smith posted a 9.9000, Bowers a 9.9125 with Davis posting a 9.950 for the 49.5125 team score. The Sooners were third on the event behind Utah with their 49.7375 and Florida's 49.5250. (The key was that the Sooners were behind Florida by 0.0125.)

On the Floor and their final event, the Sooners posted all six scores 9.9000 or above.. They tossed the 9.9000 by Davis to open the event. Smith followed with a 9.9125, Bowers raise the Sooner scores to 9.9500 with her routine before Torrez posted a 9.9250 to build a huge base for the Sooner scoring. When Fletcher posted a 9.9375 the Sooners had a 49.6250 for what was probably enough to win the championship. I think this is when Mr. Connors announced that OU had won their 6th of the last 9 championships. When Sievers posted her 9.9500 the winning margin was widened by 0.0500 more points for Oklahoma for a 49.6750 total on the Floor. Oklahoma won the Floor event and distanced Florida by 0.2500 points on the device to make up the difference of 0.1000 on the other three events.

OU's six women's gymnastics national titles are tied for the most over a nine-year span in NCAA history (Utah won six of the first nine NCAA championships from 1982-90).

"What these women did today was absolutely incredible," said OU head coach K.J. Kindler. "It was a unique day from the minute we woke up, with one of our assistant coaches, Ashley Kerr, going into labor and having her baby here in Fort Worth at 9:30. Our team really rallied around her and it was very exciting for them. Maybe it gave them another purpose to win today — to do it for her. I was just so impressed by the way they took over the arena from the very beginning of the meet all the way to the end. And then when they were pushed, they didn't falter. I'm just incredibly proud of their performance."

"From March 1 to now, our gymnasts have been relentless on floor," said Kindler. "They've gone into the gym, worked out the kinks, put in all the work; because we had been inconsistent with our performances. They put themselves in such a great place after the regional and hitting floor the way they did then. It was perfect that we ended on that event today. Just perfect."

Congratulations to the Team, to Coach KJ Kindler and her staff and to Ashley Kerr for her new baby.

Maybe the City on Norman is going to have to change the name of Imhoff where it runs in front of the Viersen Center and the Love's Field to "Natty Row" or "Champions Home" or something clever. The recent $13.5 million upgrade is well earned for the Women and Men Gymnastics Programs.

The excellence of the Oklahoma Women's Gymnastics Program is something that every Sooner should be very proud of. Every Day!

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Great point about the focus of ABC. ABC further missed it - one of their main points were the Florida and Utah gymnasts that were injured late in the season, but managed to get back and contribute - that was the perfect opportunity to talk about Olivia Trautman and her September injury/surgery and then working back into the line up on 3 events, including event winner on vault.

Further - note to ABC - the individual awards were all decided Thursday. Saturday was about Team.

I would love to see a picture of the “anyone but oklahoma” t-shirts. Haven’t seen them. OU should do a take-off, with the “anyone but” X’d out.

It also seemed that ABC delayed posting Danae’s floor score until the end of Dani’s floor, milking the “suspense”. Never mind that anyone who saw Danae’s performance knew it was well above the 9.85 needed. Plus, they showed the Sooners reactions as they saw the scores in the arena - literally everyone knew it was over and Bart damn well knew it was.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

There are just 2 types of College sports fans: 1)Sooner fans, and 2)Sooner haters

:ou: :rice:
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

If you were watching the individual events on ESPN+, Roethlisberger told us what Danae's score was right when Dani was starting. It was easy enough to figure out that we had already won even though TV didn't post the score until after Dani finished. Roethlisberger said he'd tell us what OU needed to win and then went quiet after claiming he was bad at math.

Florida outscored us on 3 of the 4 events. But we outscored them by 0.250 on floor.
TeamVaultBarsBeamFloorFinal
Oklahoma49.562549.637549.512549.6750198.3875
Florida49.575049.712549.525049.4250198.2375
Utah49.150049.550049.737549.5000197.9375
LSU49.525049.312549.237549.4500197.5250
I believe that we tied our highest score ever in the finals. It was just above our team NQS score of 198.3550. We beat our vault and floor scores, but missed on bars and beam. If Utah hadn't tanked on vault, the suspense would have been even more.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I totally agree with the comments about ABC missing the boat and not focusing on team competition. Florida's performance was amazing but OU's even better
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:17 am The Oklahoma Sooners Women's Gymnastics Team is simply the best! Their team score of 198.3875 is just one more of a sting of 198+ totals that the Sooners have put on the board this season. As the demand for higher scores is driven within the sport, the Sooners step up and deliver the higher scores with amazing consistency across all four events and as a team.

Oklahoma outscored Florida 198.2375, Utah 197.9375 and LSU 197.5250. With the 198+ score in the Finals, the Sooners posted a nation-leading 10 scores of at least 198 in 2023, tied for the most in NCAA history.

While the ABC pre-meet and live presentation focused on individual performances, the best team in the country, just did it the Sooner-Way. A team of great gymnasts outperformed the individuals that were focused on by ABC. Shame on ABC. While there are individual awards, the TEAM AWARD is the goal of NCAA. Oklahoma delivered a great story for ABC to focus on, if they had chosen to do so. But as was noted, there were t-shirts being worn in the arena that read, "Anyone but OU!". I think ABC ight have gotten caught up in that. While Bart Conner and his co-hosts gave OU their due (Especially Cooner by driving them in that direction) when they had to, they were focused elsewhere in my opinion.
I was just looking back at last year's national championship. The coverage was terrible. ABC kept going on and on about individuals on other teams during the team competition & OU had 4 great performances in each of the events to win the national championship. I expect the coverage for this year's coverage to be similarly biased.

Last year's team didn't really have a weak event. The vault is actually this year's weak link(they tend not to nail their landings). Overall this team is stronger on a good day since I think they are better/deeper on the non-vault events. Torrez, Smith, Levasseur and Bowers are all just so good in so many events.