Examining one's laziness quotient!

This forum is a collection of helpful tips about features on the board. If you want to learn about board features, this is the place to go. If you are curious about something then post a question
inconnu

Examining one's laziness quotient!

Post by inconnu »

A HUGE CONSIDERATION in everybody's life. Peterson says it so well! This is 10:51

inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Please somebody(ies) comment on this. You won't regret listening(time not wasted). I'm curious as to whether anyone has and deploys an ability to gin up motivation to engage, and how they do that.
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I am not sure what this has to do with laziness. As you mature, you (hopefully) learn right from wrong and use that moral compass in your daily life. As the Bible says, 'treat others as you want to be treated'. It is amazing how this always works.

As for success and failure -

Remember that you are human and at times you will fail. It is up to you to decide to do better and to continue to work at that for a goal. Do not quit just because you did not succeed. You have been knocked down. Get up, dust yourself off, and try again. Do not regret your failures. Use them as a tool to become better.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

SwampSooner wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:58 pm I am not sure what this has to do with laziness. As you mature, you (hopefully) learn right from wrong and use that moral compass in your daily life. As the Bible says, 'treat others as you want to be treated'. It is amazing how this always works.

Remember that you are human and at times you will fail. It is up to you to decide to do better and to continue to work at that for a goal. Do not quit just because you did not succeed. You have been knocked down. Get up, dust yourself off, and try again. Do not regret your failures. Use them as a tool to become better.
Thanks, SwampSooner. I think many people are not motivated for various reasons, to analyze what steps should be taken to prepare to achieve their goals. I think the turmoil of daily life caused by present realities does tend to add a lot of confusion regarding the conduct in preparation for our future.
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

inconnu wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:33 am
SwampSooner wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:58 pm I am not sure what this has to do with laziness. As you mature, you (hopefully) learn right from wrong and use that moral compass in your daily life. As the Bible says, 'treat others as you want to be treated'. It is amazing how this always works.

Thanks, SwampSooner. I think many people are not motivated for various reasons, to analyze what steps should be taken to prepare to achieve their goals. I think the turmoil of daily life caused by present realities does tend to add a lot of confusion regarding the conduct in preparation for our future.

Yes, it is easy to feel overwhelmed by life. A small break helps one get their head back on straight. Remember that God has given you the strength to overcome these trials and tribulations, just calm down and trust yourself.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

inconnu wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:50 pm Please somebody(ies) comment on this. You won't regret listening(time not wasted). I'm curious as to whether anyone has and deploys an ability to gin up motivation to engage, and how they do that.
Yes! A very good listen. Thanks for sharing, though it was almost 1.5 years ago (lol). Many people characterize Peterson's talks as rambling. I can understand that. He frequently jumps from idea to idea that the listener finds fragmented and unrelated......at least in the immediate sense. However, if you listen long enough, he will touch on a point that crystalizes all of the ideas and ideals he's presented into a fascinating and illuminating whole.

3:09 to to 3:42 in this piece resonated with me.

The search for pleasure and avoidance of pain is a primal evolutionary compulsive trait that favorably serves the survival of almost all animal life on the planet, and perhaps in some ways, many non-animals, too. This very same trait is also hardwired into humans as a biological inheritance from the eons-old family tree of life on Earth. However, only in humans do we find the capacity to practice forethought and conscientiousness to such a degree that the compulsive aspects of this trait are subdued sufficiently and frequently enough to produce civilization and the remarkable achievements representing it.

While some folks are very skilled in the practice of forethought and conscientiousness in a relative sense, few have truly mastered the ability. In fact, I've yet to meet anyone that has. I'm absolutely certain that I haven't. The good news is that a little goes a long way......one of the main points of Peterson in the video piece that you shared.

I'm not implying that you don't understand their concepts, but since you seemed to ask for advice, I suggest that you read the definitions for forethought and conscientiousness. Don't just passively read over the words. Spend a good 5 minutes of thought upon each definition. Read the definitions several times and from different sources. This is kind of difficult to explain, but try to apply subtle nuances to the meaning of each word within the definitions and then reflect upon whether the meanings of forethought and conscientiousness become a little more broadly present in how you interpret the world as compared to when you first started. I know........all of this sounds ridiculously corny, but you'll see what I mean if you keep trying at it. It might take more than five minutes of this sort of contemplation on each definition. It might take several five or ten minutes sessions over the course of a day or even several days, you'll see what I mean. BTW, the description above is a form of forethought.

Next, start practicing forethought and conscientiousness according to how you understand the words. Also, without being judgmental or looking weird or creepy, try to gauge the degree and frequency others are applying forethought and conscientious in their daily activities.

Applying forethought to goals is a key first step. This is best done during quiet times such as before or after prayer or during meditation sessions. Quality forethought requires constant and steady concentration on goals during this quiet time. At first, you will discover that this is quite difficult to do. Don't let your mind wonder from thought to unrelated thought, which is the standard default state of the mind for just about everyone. Recognize when this is happening and bring yourself back on task. The goal is to put together 10 minutes of total time thinking about a SINGLE goal: what are the required steps?, what are the necessary resources?, do you have everything to get started? what do you need to do before taking a first step toward the goal? what are the possible unforeseens?, etc. Also, think about how, why and in what ways the accomplishment of the goal is important or valuable to you and/or loved ones. Try to discover as many new hows, whys, and ways the goal is valuable during forethought periods. Do this faithfully on just one important goal for an entire week. This will take persistence and faithfulness to the activity.

If you stay true to the forethought activity, you will begin to notice that the "pain" of sacrificing "pleasure" in the pursuit of this goal will give way to sort of the reverse (i.e., "pain" will become more associated with not taking concrete steps toward the "pleasure" of the goal). In essence, dedicated forethought will make the "pleasure" of the goal more present in your thoughts. At this point, you've reached the beginning stages of contentiousness.

This isn't easy....it takes discipline and faithfulness to the forethought process multiple times a day. The really skilled folks at applying forethought can work on multiple goals at a time and they can focus the mind in the forethought condition for longer continuous periods before the inevitable stray thought arrives.

All of the above may sound pretty weird, but it works. If you stay patient and faithful to the daily routines of forethought, conscientiousness will begin to be a more frequent expression in how you conduct your life and view the world.

Good luck, inconnu!!