DARK HORSE-An Orphan X novel...

Your favorites
OU Chinaman

DARK HORSE-An Orphan X novel...

Post by OU Chinaman »

...Gregg Hurwitz has outdone himself with this one. This series just keeps getting better and better.

It's become my very favorite fiction series. Some of the best all-out action scenes I've ever read.

Some really nuanced character development. Not just the protagonist X, but his client, and the villain who snatched his teenage daughter. And Joey his own teenage hacker/savant.

Some genuine horror, and gut-wrenching sadness to boot. Life truly examined is always stark with hard hitting truth.

If you haven't read this series, DO SO! You won't be disappointed.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:

THE ORPHAN X NOVELS:
Ophan X

The Nowhere Man

Hellbent

Out of the Dark

Into the Fire

Prodigal Son (And now, Dark Horse)
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

I am also an Orphan X, Nowhere Man fan. I've read all of the books plus some of the fill-in short stories, and have enjoyed all of them.

That said, only OUChinaman's endorsement keeps me from abandoning Dark Horse about halfway through the book. I totally disagree with him as to this being even on par with the previous books, let alone the best of the series. JMO...

I'll probably finish the book, but I am disappointed so far. I'll come back and update this after finishing the book.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Well, my earlier disappointment with Dark Horse didn't last - the second half of the book improved over the first half, IMO, probably due to the outstanding action scenes in the second half.
I do agree with Chinaman in that regard - Hurwitz does a great job.
I guess that this book was a bit too dark for me to enjoy it too much, though. It was not one of my favorite Orphan X books.

I wonder if this is the last of the series? I do recommend the series, I have enjoyed most of the books very much.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I've had two others tell me, Dark Horse is a little too "dark" for their tastes also.

I like "darkness" in my books and movies. It's a dark world!

Guys like Evan Smoak & James Reece operate in the darkness, in order to serve the light. (A nod to Assassin's Creed.)

i think Hurwitz will fire ou several more books for Orphan X.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice: