FGCL - Summer Ball Action

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

FGCL - Summer Ball Action

Post by TropicalSooner »

The only information I can get about our Sooners playing in the FGCL this summer is from their twitter site--not a whole lot there but it did show that a couple of our Sooners were selected to play for "Team Florida" against the Pro team Florida Vibe last night. The Vibe won 4-0. Alex Storako, and Quincee Lilio were picked to play for Team Florida. I believe Jana Johns plays for the Vibe. I don't know of any way to get box scores or any stats. If anyone has the subscrip to watch the games, let us know how our Sooners looked!
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

There is an app for an iPhone or an Ipad......google FGCL softball app
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thank you.
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Turiya Coleman: AVG/OBP/SLG .429/.571/.762
Quincee Lilio: AVG/OBP/SLG .647/.739/.941
Hannah Coor: AVG/OBP/SLG 0.316/.458/.474
Alex Storako: 14 IP, 0 ER, 25 K, 7 BB, given up 4 hits

stats I got from the app. It is in the schedule section, click on the team then individual player
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Heard something interesting on the Plank show this morning.....referring to summer ball. We've all been following Lilio, Coor and Storako all playing down in the FGCL this summer but I had been wondering what was happening with Nugent. Turns out she's been busy too. Plank had JT on his show this morning and he said that Nugent was playing summer ball on a Men's Fastpitch team. He did not say what team or where. But if some of the super sleuths out there can find some traps to run and get more intel, that would be great.

56....I seem to recall you've played mens fastpitch--and i think you've coached womens fast pitch. Are there big differences between the two sports? Was wondering how this helps Nugent....thx
Last edited by TropicalSooner on Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Crimson47
raven15

Post by raven15 »

Maybe this?

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Wow!
Nice work Raven!!
Thanks!!!

Soooo....it appears like it may have been more of a weekend outing with them rather than playing on a team with them?????
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Chris Plank had an interview with JT Gasso this morning at the beginning of his show. One of the things they talked about was 'how does the "process of the roster and recruiting and transfer portal" players happen. JT laughed a bit and said that Plank needed to ask someone besides the janitor and go find that 'other' Gasso's number in Plank's phone to ask that question. I think that said that there is one person in control of that and it is the 'other' Gasso.

But he did go on to say that they work really hard to only select payers that truly want to be a part of the program and that they believe will be a integral part of the culture and fabric of the program. He also talked about how the link from the recent Super Seniors reached all the way back to the Paige Parker class (Parker, Arnold, N Pendley, Lowary) with Alo and Elam and how important that was as the program has been built from then up to me. I found that extremely interesting. Not only have Alo and Elam has been there with the players that ignited the current momentum but they reach back to have played with the original back-to-back champs from 2016 and 2017 as upper classmen. I think the fact that they did not win in 2018 and 2019 is probably a bigger driver of what is going on at OU right now than winning in 2016-2017. The journey to a national championship is long. It takes a great deal of focus and great play and a little bit of luck. It is something that can never be taken for granted. I think 2018 and 2019 is extremely important in the players memory looking forward to 2023. Lyons and Green hold those memories currently as they lead the team.

JT also talked about the importance of being a competitor in 'recruits'. He said that was a big factor in the Torres transfer.

The bottom line is the Sooners under Coach Gasso (that 'other' Gasso) knows exactly what they want and they will only 'recruit' those players. They do not feel like they need to take anyone that does not meet the program's needs and strengths.

There was also a few notes from JT about the FGCL. It sounds like "Q" (Quincee Lilio) is still playing very well in Florida. JT also said that Coor is leading the FGCL in doubles. He also mentioned that Nugent is in California playing with a men's fastpitch softball team this summer. He made it sound like it was more than just one weekend that Nugent did this. That has got to help her stay sharp and probably help her development.

Boomer Sooner!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

In 2018, we just couldn't/didn't hit in the WCWS. The 2 Washington pitchers had our number. Finally, last year(2021) we got even with Plain, and hit her pretty hard. In 2019, UCLA clobbered both Juarez and Saile. I saw speculation that they were reading our pitch signals. I still don't know just what happened. It was sweet beating both Washington and UCLA and win out these last 2 years.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

For those of you that are interested in how our young Freshmen are doing playing summer ball in the Florida Gulf Coast League, I have some stats for you that goes thru Sat 7/9...about 3/4's the way through the season.
Quincee Lilio is playing for the Circus------ they have W 9 L 6 so far on the Season
Hannah Coor is playing for the River Mocs--they have W 4 L 11 so far on the season
Also, our Super Senior:
Alex Storako is pitching for the Squeeze----they have W 14 L 2 so far on the season

.......PA...AB...R...H....RBI...2B...3B...HR...SO...BB...HBP...SB...CS...AVE...OBP...SLG...OPS
Lilio--42---35---9---17----7-----4-----0-----1----3-----6-----1------4-----0--.486--.571--.686--1.257
Coor--55--48---11--14---14-----7-----0-----0----5-----7-----0------6-----0--.292--.382--.438--0.819

..........IP---W---L---SV---H---R---ER---K---BB---BF---AB---ERA
Storako 31--5----0----0---11---2---2---54---10--114--104--0.450

FGCL Leaders:

Ave Lilio .486 3rd
OBP Lilio .571 2nd
OPS Lilio 1.257 T-5th
H---Lilio 17 T-10th
2B-Coor 7 1st
RBI Coor 14 T-3rd
ERA Storako 0.45 1st
K's Storako 54 2nd (by 1 k)

Observations:
Lilio is haviing a very good summer--on a winning team--great ave and ops for the # ABs. Expect really good things from her this fall.
Coor is showing marked improvement from last year. Having a very nice summer for a very poor performing team--getting lots of ABs indicates maybe not many outfielders on the team or her fielding is so important that she gets more innings than others on the team. Leading the league in 2Bs and 3rd for RBIs in spite of her lack of team support looks very well for her. Look forward to a good fall for her this year.
Storako--what can you say. She's an Ace pitcher. Can't wait to see her in the circle next season.
Fall practice will be fierce with our team taking batting practice against the likes of Bahl, Storako, May and the incoming Deal and Geurin.
Can't wait for fall ball to begin---I hope Coach Gasso schedules a lot of games for our Sooners to gel and practice against as we begin the journey of putting our team together and developing our team chemistry and identity for the coming year

Boomer!!!
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

The FGCL Summer Ball season is drawing to a close.
There will be games today and the final games of the regular season will be tomorrow.
Saturday, July 16th, will be the "All-Star Game" and their Playoffs will be July 17th through July 20th.
I will post more information as it becomes available.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Lilio made the All Star Team!
aka Crimson47
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

The Florida Gulf Coast League 2022 Summer Softball season has come to a close. Here are the final stats for our young Freshmen that participated on their teams this summer.

Quincee Lilio played for the Circus-----they went 11-8 for the season.

Hannah Coor played for the River Mocs---sadly, they struggled to a 4-15 season, landing at the bottom of the standings for all the FGCL teams.

Also, our Super Senior, Alex Storako did some pitching for the Squeeze. They finished the season at 20-3.

Here are their stats:

.........PA....AB....R....H....RBI....2B....3B....HR....SO....BB....HBP....SB....CS....AVE....OBP....SLG....OPS

Lilio---72-----63---17---33----17-----7------1-----5------3------8-------1------6------0----.524---.583---.905---1.488

Coor---68----61----12---18----16----7-------1-----0------8------7-------0------7------0---.295---.368----.443---.810

T Coleman
---------81----66---22---25----15-----5------1-----4------3------6-------5-----15------0---.379---.456----.667---1.122

...........IP....W....L......SV....H....R....ER....K....BB....BF....AB......ERA

Storako--31---5----0-------0----11----2----2-----54---10----114--104-----0.450

FGCL Leaders:

Ave: Lilio .524 1st

OBP: Lilio .583 1st

OPS: Lilio 1.488 2nd

H: Lilio 33 2nd (1st was 34) (T Coleman 25 T-5th)

2B: Coor 7 T-2nd
2B: Lilio 7 T-2nd

HR: Lilio 5 T-2nd (T Coleman 4 T-3rd)

RBI: Lilio 17 T-5th

SB: T Coleman 15 2nd

AB: T coleman 81 2nd

ERA: Storako 0.450 2nd (note: 1st was 0.00 from a pitcher that pitched 1 inning and had 1 K)

Ks: Storako 54 T-6th (note: Other pitchers with more generally pitched over 52 innings. Storako pitched 31)

Observations:

Lilio had a highly successful summer leading the league in several major categories. Look for her to have a breakout year as we head into Fall Ball in a couple of months. We should expect great things from her next Spring.

Coor was a bright spot on a team that struggled against teams with obvious better pitching, leading her team in 2Bs, RBIs and SBs and coming in 2nd in Hs and Rs with the 2nd least SOs. While her numbers did not approach those of Lilio, she did show growth and improvement at the plate over her freshman season and coupled with her speed on the bases and in the outfield, she will fill a much needed backup role in the outfield next year.

Storako's numbers did not change from what I posted before so I am assuming she completed her mission in the circle by then and probably filled some role as mentor or player/coach for the younger pitchers.

With the success our players had in the FGCL this summer coupled with the success that our HS grads have had in their last year of travel ball this summer, we should have heated competition this fall for all position groups, both in the field and also in batting practice against what will become one of the most formidible pitching staffs in D1 softball next year.

Boomer!
Last edited by TropicalSooner on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Thanks for the Final stats from the FGCL for Lilio, Coor and Storako.

On question - What did Turiya Coleman's stats look like if you could share them?

I agree with your comments above about Lilio. she will have a great chance to earn playing time in 2023 after the summer she had in the FGCL I think at the end of the day, she will challenge Brito and Boone for playing time in LF and RF. Lilio may take one of those two players spot.

For Coor, the summer helped her. She is ready to play on defense and on the base paths, but her bat still needs development to earn a look at starting. But the OF starts to get crowded with Lilio joining the group and with Pickering and Parker joining the group for 2024.

Storako kept herself in shape by playing in the FGCL I think she will add a great deal of maturity to the circle for the Sooners in 2023.