Tournament in Norman

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
Exfed

Tournament in Norman

Post by Exfed »

Travel ball tournament in Norman starting tomorrow. Field locations are Reaves Park, Marita Hines and a field on North 12th in Moore.
Our incoming pitcher Deal will be playing as well as the OC Batbusters that gave sone of our future players.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

@Exfed welcome tô soonertimes
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Exfed wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:29 pm Travel ball tournament in Norman starting tomorrow. Field locations are Reaves Park, Marita Hines and a field on North 12th in Moore.
Our incoming pitcher Deal will be playing as well as the OC Batbusters that gave sone of our future players.
Welcome to the Board. Hope you enjoy your stay and am looking forward to your posts.
Is Deal playing for the OC Batbusters?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Thanks for the info.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:49 pm Thanks for the info.
'56.....since you're not far from there....are you thinking about swinging by there to see them in action?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

If I knew a time that Deal was playing I would for sure.....

I found this info, but can't seem to find a schedule.

http://tcnfastpitch.com/2022-national-championships/

I also just found this....

Deal's team plays at 11 am this morning. Mojo - Fisher

https://tourneymachine.com/Public/Resul ... f7ebcb1941

There are games today at Reeves Park and at Marita Hynes for the Top Club National Championship. The games are thru the weekend.

It is a chance to see Kiersten Deal, Avery Hodge, Jocelyn Erickson, (Geurin has a hurt hand) all of which are freshman next year.

We should be able to see Ella Parker, Nelian McEnroe-Marinas, Maya Bland and Kasidi Pickering also from the 2023 Class that is coming to OU.

Wear a wide brim hat and drink lots of water!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here are game times for the players above:

Mojo Fisher - Deal =11 AM Reeves 10 and 3 PM M Hynes

Texas Bombers Gold - Hodge and Geurin - 1 PM Reeves 11, 3 PM M Hynes

OC Batbusters Stith - Erickson, Bland, Parker - 3 PM M Hynes, 5 PM Reeves 10

Hotshots National/Nelson - Pickering - 11 AM M Hynes, 3 PM Reeves 10

EDIT: - N McEnroe Marianas plays for Firecracker So-Cal and they are not at this tournament.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

If you are able to take in any of the games....I'm very interested in your opinion about how you see any of our new freshmen and the 23 class.
Take some sunblock with you! :)
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

FloSoftball is streaming games on M Hynes, Reaves 10, and Reaves 11 I think. Without any announcers it will be tough to figure out who is who though
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Out at Reeves for Mojo and Bombers. Very impressed with both players and with Hodge. Deal v SJ. Gasso and Rocha in attendance. Mojo wins 2-1. Deal throws harder but gets hit harder. Throws rise out of zone with good curve ball, no change. My guess hitting mid 60’s. I thought Deal got some bounces going her way. I think Hodge walked and struggled a bit but a great short stop. Guerin very crafty, doesn’t throw as hard but locates ball. She throws a bit of everything but you can tell struggling with her hand. I was surprised she threw nearly a full game. All 3 I saw today have quite a bit of work to do but OU softball will like these 3 coming in. I will see Erickson tomorrow.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Lasooner11 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:23 pm Out at Reeves for Mojo and Bombers. Very impressed with both players and with Hodge. Deal v SJ. Gasso and Rocha in attendance. Mojo wins 2-1. Deal throws harder but gets hit harder. Throws rise out of zone with good curve ball, no change. My guess hitting mid 60’s. I thought Deal got some bounces going her way. I think Hodge walked and struggled a bit but a great short stop. Guerin very crafty, doesn’t throw as hard but locates ball. She throws a bit of everything but you can tell struggling with her hand. I was surprised she threw nearly a full game. All 3 I saw today have quite a bit of work to do but OU softball will like these 3 coming in. I will see Erickson tomorrow.
Thank you Lasooner11 for your observations on todays game. Sounds pretty optimistic for our new freshmen to be. I can't wait for Deal and Guerin to start learning under Rocha. And I'm sure Hodge will improve when she gets to have some time with JT. I really appreciate your insights. Thanks!
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I had an enjoyable day watching future Sooners play in the 18U Tourney that is partially being held at Marita Hynes and Reeves Park yesterday. I was able to see 7 of the 8 upcoming recruits for the Sooners play yesterday. From the Class of 2022, I was able to watch, Kiersten Deal, Jocelyn Erickson, Avery Hodge and SJ Geurin. From the Class of 2023, I was able to watch Ella Parker, Maya Bland and Kasidi Pickering.

Here are my impressions of the 7 players. (I feel it is hard for a man, an older man, to describe a young woman's body type without saying something inappropriate So I will try to compare the players to other current or former Sooners.)

Deal - I cannot remember a Sooner pitcher that looks like Deal. The best I can do is describe her as a 2 or 3 inch taller version of Alanna Thiede. Deal has long limbs. Her primary strength as a pitcher is her control. No, her pinpoint control. She can throw 3 or 4 pitches to a spot repeatedly. She was able to get puts down in the zone and up in the zone. Against a good A&M recruit, Deal stayed away from the RH hitter and threw 3 different pitches low and outside basically just barely crossing the black part of the plate. The count was 1-2 at that point as the drop ball was a touch low. She got the out on a pitch in on the hands for a called strike. She has a simply deliver and throws with ease. She is low key in the circle but very effective. She looks to be a good athlete also. She fielded several ball hit right back at her. Deal is a pitcher that is a different style than May or Bahl. But they way she attacks a hitter is like Bahl but form the left side. I can see Bahl, May and Deal being very effective as a trio. What Storako adds to that will be interesting to see. Despite her carrying two bats, I did not see her play in the field or bat. I think Deal threw between 62 and 67-ish.

Erickson - To describe Erickson is difficult. she was not quite as tall as I thought. she is 5-9ish I think. She has a rangy look with long limbs. Maybe a shorter version of Jana Johns is a good description. But her hands are quicker in the batters box than Johns were. I saw play catcher and bat twice in my last game of the day. She looked very good behind the plate. Very comfortable receiving the ball. At bat she looks even better. In her two at bats she hit a hopping ground ball up the middle to reach first base and then she crushed a deep HR to RC that was maybe a ball hit 240 feet. It was a rocket off of Erickson's bat. She does a very good job at getting her whole body into her swing. I have been excited about Erickson for a while now. but after seeing her hit yesterday, I am even more excited. She will be the best LH power hitter I have seen at OU since Ricketts. For two years she will likely play 1B or DP while Hansen plays catcher.

Hodge - She is not a big young lady. she is maybe 5'5". She is somewhat like Reagan Rogers but much shorter. She does have great speed. She is a lefty slapper but can swing away also. She walked in every at bat (maybe 5 or 6 times) that I saw in two games except twice. She flew out to LC fairly deep on a 2-2 pitch and she struck out against Deal as she had strikes called on her and away and up. Both of those pitches were probably balls off the plate but Deal got the call. Hodge plays SS and 2B for the Texas Bombers Gold. Hodge and Leighann Goode (Texas recruit) swap back and forth every inning between SS and 2B. I think Hodge is the better defensive player of the two. Hodge does handle the ball well and has a quick release with a good arm. She is a natural leader in the field I thought. She talked well on plays and calling balls on popups.

Geurin - She looks like a young Paige Parker maybe as a freshman. She has good mobility in the circle and throws a variety of pitches. She has had a broken left hand or finger (hit by a pitch) and pitched for the Bombers for the first time last weekend this summer. She is a spinner with very good spin and movement. she throw nothing straight. The ball moves both early and late as she changes speeds slightly well. Geurin actually pitched against Deal in the game I saw. The game score was 2-1 with Deal winning. (Deal's run was unearned.) Geurin pitched well except for two pitches. She left two rise balls just a tad low in the zone and they were both hit for HRs by good players. Both pitchers were over the inside half of the plate to RH hitters. Other than that she was impressive. It has been hard to get a good feeling about Geurin from what I have read. I would say that I liked what I saw. She can be a very good change of pace pitcher for the Sooners. She throws in the 60-65 speed range I think.

Pickering - She can be compared to Erin Miller but she is an inch or two taller and maybe carries a little more weight. The ball comes of her bat well. I saw her hit an easy triple down the RF line. She runs well. She was playing CF and she moves to the ball easily and well. She almost made a very good play on a double as her throw was spot on to second base and made the play closer than it should have been. I think she plays the corner OF positions for the Sooners though. I want to see more of her but did like what I saw. She could be a good one for the Sooners. She showed no sign of slapping as a left handed hitter. She just hits the ball.

Parker - She reminds me of Turiya Coleman but taller. She could also be compared to Shay Knighten as a sophomore at OU. She was the DP in the game I saw. I know she pitches, plays 1B and OF though. In her first at about she pulled a ball down the line that hit the 1st base bag and went down the line. She hustled the hit into a double showing good speed. She bats 3rd in front of Erickson. I am going to try and see her pitch this weekend and maybe play the field. She is a very good athlete.

Bland - My vision of Bland was all wrong. I have thought she was Knighten-like for a couple of years. That is not the case. She can be compared to Jayda Coleman more than anyone I think. She is maybe two inches shorter though. I had also thought she was a RH hitter. She is a lefty but looked to be swinging not slapping. She also has very good speed. She had a double and a single in her at bats that I saw. She made a couple plays in RF look routine on defense. i would say that she has good strength for her size. She seemed to be an intense player also. She is always about playing it seemed.

I plan on seeing some more games today.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Awesome review '56. Really enjoy your very detailed perspective. This gives me hope about our future recruits in that they will be able to mesh well with our current staff and provide additional variety for Patty to work with. Enjoy todays games and take lots of sunblock!
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Currently mowing the yard.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Thought I would give a 'team' update about the Norman Tourney.

Mojo Fisher ( K Deal LHP ) - Despite winning their pool group (3-0) they lost their first game in the bracket and now have a long road to the bracket finals. They played at 8 AM this morning and Deal pitched and tossed a 1-hitter with many strikeouts with a very small strike zone. She get a great deal of swings and misses. They are playing their second game today now and will play basically every 2 hours the rest of the day. They will be up a Buck Thomas Fields all day until midnight. They have to win 6 games to get to the semi-finals. they have two other pitchers beside Deal but it is a long road. I have seen Deal pitch three times now. She is what is advertised. If Bahl recovers fully, the Sooners have a great deal of very good pitching.

Hotshots National (K Pickering OF ) - They won their pool group (3-0) and won twice last night to remain unbeaten. their day today starts @ 3.:20-ish today. If they win that game they play @ 7:00 PM for a berth in the semi-finals (with an IF) game. If they lose the first game they play in the next game and have to win 3 straight to get to the Semi-Finals. They will also be up a Buck Thomas Fields all day until midnight. The more I see of Pickering the more I am impressed with her. she is a hitter. A pure lefty that hits the ball hard. I think I will revise my impression of her size. She is more like Grace Lyons than Erin Miller. She is just taller than I originally thought and has strong shoulders.

Texas Bombers Gold ( A Hodge and SJ Geurin ) - Their pool group was very strong and they finished in 3rd (1-2). They are still unbeaten in bracket games as they have won three games last night. They play the OC Batbusters today @ 3.20 at the Buck Thomas fields. If they win, they play at 7:00 PM at the Thomas fields. If they lose the first game, they have to drive to Marita Hynes to play a game before returning to the Buck Thomas fields for the 7:00 PM game (with an IF game). Two straight wins put them in the Semi-Finals or they need to win 3 straight after at 3:20 loss. The more I see of Hodge, the more I like. she is a tough young lady as he got beat up a little yesterday. But she was still there with a dirty uniform playing every inning. She will probably be a 9-hole hitter at OU, but she can do many things on the base paths. Geurin has thrown many innings already. She got hit a bit last night late but her pitch location was pretty good. I thought she threw a bit harder last night also. Geurin seems willing to take the ball and throw as needed.

OC Batbusters ( J Erickson, E Parker and M Bland ) - They finished 2nd in the pool group (2-1). They have won 3 bracket games and scored at least 9 runs in each game. Their schedule is just like the Texas Bombers Gold as they play each other at 3:20 PM at the Buk Thomas fields. Erickson has played both 1B and catcher. She has picked off at least 3 runners at 1B that I have seen. She is very nonchalant about it when she does so. Being a lefty catcher helps her a great deal. I have not seen anyone try to steal on her. She is also a good defensive 1B. she continues to hit also. I have seen 2 HRs that she has hit. I do not think I have seen her make an out. She is not a fast runner. But she can still move enough on the base paths. Parker has started to hit the ball well for the Batbusters and play LF. I have not seen her pitch though. She does hit the ball hard and continues to look good on the base paths. M Blade is playing RF well and is getting on base often. She makes good contact when she swings and has a decent arm in RF.

The Semi-Finals are at 8 AM and at 12:30 PM at Marita Hynes on Saturday. The Finals are at 5 PM.