NCAA Semifinals

This is the forum to follow our National Champions Gymnastics team
AustinTXSooner

NCAA Semifinals

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Our rotation: Vault, Bars, Beam, and Floor

After the first rotation, we were behind Utah slightly.

Olivia Trautman competed in the Bars for the first time this year. I think Bart Conner said she was competing in the All Around today. Big surprise.

After 2 rotations, we regained the lead from Utah, but only by .025. Alabama and Minnesota are lagging behind by about .35

I don't have time at the moment to post more detailed scores. That will come later.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Sooners take first in the semi-finals. 198.1125, ~.4 ahead of second place Utah. Utah and Bama were very close after 3 rotations, but Bama had a very shaky vault while Utah excelled in beam.

Head to head, Utah won vault and beam, while Sooners owned bars and floor.

Vault was a shaky 49.35. Seemed the youngsters were just a bit jittery in their first experience at the championships. The judges also seemed stingy for the first rotation. Lot of room to score higher here.

Bars was a strong 49.575 - just solid all around - not their best performances but still strong. Still room to go a bit higher here.

Beam was 49.5125 - very solid, especially since leadoff Jenna Dunn had a tough dismount and scored in the 9.7 range, .2 below here normal steady self. Rest responded with a 9.875 and 4 9.9 or better. Definitely room to go higher.

Floor was an outstanding 49.675. Just great performance, with Jordan Bowers’ 9.9625 leading all floor performers in the morning session.

As far as individuals titles go:

Bowers leads the floor in the morning session and Audrey Davis is tied with 2 others for bars lead at 9.95.

The Oregon state Olympian (jade Carey) that rotated with the Sooners leads the All-around from the morning session, but I would expect her 39.65 will not hold up tonight for All-Around title.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I thought it was interesting that Jade Carey was taking her rotations with the Sooners. At the end, when she was interviewed, she was very appreciative for the support from the Sooner team. That should bode well for us if she ever decides that she'd like to win a national championship.

All around, I thought the scoring was pretty tight. But that seemed to be true for everyone. The floor scoring seemed weighted to the athleticism a lot more than normal. If you got good height in your tumbling run, you were going to get a much better score. I thought we had several beam routines that looked perfectly clean, but one of them ended up being less than 9.9.

I was also very pleased to find out that ESPN3 was streaming each individual event. That way I got to see the Sooners full screen, except for the Vault, which is when I found out they were streaming each event.