Sooner SB - What is the lineup surprise for 2022?

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Sooner SB - What is the lineup surprise for 2022?

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Each year the Sooner softball lineup on opening day usually has a surprise or two. Looking back over the years many things change from that opening day lineup by the time May arrives.

Here is a review:
2016:
1. Aviu RF
2. Pendley CF
3. Romero 3B
4. Self 1B
5. Parker P
6. Miller DH
7. Wodach LF
8. Knighten 2B
9. Montgomery C
10. Arnold SS - DS

By the end of the season, Clifton was at the top of the lineup and playing 2B. Knighten was batting 3rd or 4th and playing 1B. Self moved to LF when Wodach moved to Catcher to replace Montgomery when she left the team. Arnold was playing SS and hitting as Parker used the bat less and less as the season moved along. Miller had a great year playing RF and batting 3rd. Aviu became the DP. The 2016 season started with a 1-0 loss BUT ended with the Sooners as National Champs.

2017:
1. Clifton 2B
2. Dalton LF
3. Aviu DP
4. Knighten 1B
5. Romero 3B
6. Pendley CF
7. Hatfield RF
8. Wodach C
9. Arnold SS
10. Lowary P

By mid-season, Dalton was not playing for the Sooners. Nicole Mendes filled that void while playing RF with Hatfield moving to LF. It was a bit of a surprise when Lowary got the starting assignment at pitcher after her super-reliever role in 2016, Again the Sooners lost the first game, but rebounded to win their second National Championship in a row.

2018:
1. Alo DH
2. Clifton 2B
3. Knighten 1B
4. Aviu LF
5. Romero 3B
6. Pendley CF
7. Arnold SS
8. Wodach C
9. Mendes RF
10. Lopez P

This lineup remained very consistent for the Sooners. The freshman, Alo, did not bat leadoff very much as she settled in at #2 or #3 most of the season. 30 HRs later we were convinced how special she was as a hitter. She also played her share in the OF. The start for Lopez in Parkers’ senior year surprised me. The year opened with a win but ended as a semifinal loss in the WCWS to Washington.

2019:
1. Clifton 2B
2. Alo RF
3. Romero 3B
4. Aviu LF
5. Knighten 1B
6. Green DH
7. Rogers CF
8. Elam C
9. Lyons SS
10. Lopez P

Again, Lopez was the opening day pitcher as the most senior hurler on the staff with newcomers Juarez and Saile on board. The lineup was steady as well. We did have a season long competition for CF between Rogers and Mendes with Mendes stepping up late in the season. We all remember the Kansas trip though without Alo and in the end, Coach Gasso was spot on with that call. A complete game shutout by Lopez started the season but two defeats by UCLA ended the season for the Sooner as the runner-up to the Bruins.

2020:
1. Snow 2B
2. Boone CF
3. Alo LF
4. Green RF
5. Hansen DP
6. Lyons SS
7. E Flores 3B
8. Elam C
9. Donihoo 1B
10. Saile P

Filling the spots of four very good starters would have been tough enough for the Sooners but Mendes was also lost before the fall was over to a knee injury. Boone only played 4 games before she hurt her knee on an outstanding catch in CF in Puerto Vallarta. Snow missed several games during the season with a leg and a shoulder injury and a concussion. Those injuries moved Donihoo from 1B to 2B to CF eventually. Hansen and Elam alternated at C/1B most of the season. The season opened with a win but ended after 24 games due to COVID. Saile was the opening day starter as Juarez was still an “IF” due to her left arm being tender. Her last pitch in 2020 was three weeks later. The Sooners managed a 20-4 record that year after an opening day win.

2021:
1. Snow DP
2. Jennings 2B
3. Hansen 1B
4. Alo LF
5. Johns 3B
6. Mendes CF
7. J Coleman RF
8. Elam C
9. Lyons SS
10. Juarez P

After a very good fall, the opening day lineup had Snow as the leadoff hitter and DP. Alo was in LF and batting fourth behind Jennings and Hansen. J Coleman had some leadoff hitter starts as well as playing CF eventually. By the time the Big 12 season started, the lineup started with Jennings, Alo and Hansen who combined for 85 HRs. Snow ended up playing 1B and Hansen catching most of the time down the stretch. Johns dropped to the bottom three in the lineup with J Coleman and Lyons filling the 4th and 5th spots. Juarez limped through most of the season but rebounded strongly in the WCWS. The season opened with a record breaking 13 HRs and a win over UTEP and ended with another National Championship over Florida State in 3-game finals.

What will be new for 2022??
With 8 starters returning from the 2021 lineup, the only person to replace is Mendes. Does that job more than likely go to Rylie Boone who will also play RF?

With Alyssa Brito joining the Sooners as a transfer player, some say that the heat has been turned up on Snow at 1B and Johns at 3B to keep their starting jobs at those positions. Some say that even Jennings and Lyons are being pushed at 2B and SS.

In a bit of a surprise is that it seems Alo has been playing 1B in the spring and at the Team UA tryouts. Could that be the 2022 opening day surprise? Does that indicate that the trio of Elam, Hansen and Alo will rotate to fill the C-1B-DP spots?

Does ‘Captain’ Elam receive a rare 4-start career at catcher if she starts on opening day with Hansen moving to 1B or DP? (I think the only two players to do that lately is Nicole Pendley [15-18] in CF and Syd Romero [16-19] at 3B and Jessica Shultz [11-14 at C.)

Does the top of the Sooner batting order remain Jennings, Alo, Hansen, J Coleman, Lyons? Can ‘J-A-H’ total over 80 HRs again? Can the top 5 hitters hit 110 HRs?

Does one of the three freshmen (Lilio, T Coleman, Coor) challenge for a corner OF job by the middle of the season? Does another freshman, Nugent, get regular at bats at DP or behind the plate?

How much does Jordyn Bahl get to bat as a freshman and a pitcher for the Sooners?

Who runs out to the circle and picks up the ball in game #1 against UC Santa Barbara? Will it be Nicole May as the returning pitcher to the staff? Could it be Hope Trautwein, the veteran pitcher that transferred to the Sooners in the off-season? Could it possibly be the #1 ranked freshman, Jordyn Bahl, who so many people are predicting big things for?

I don’t know for sure about any of these questions. In two days, we will see the first evidence about the 2022 season.

Boomer Sooner
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

Nice info 56 as always, and for me I expect Alo, Hansen, Jennings and Coleman will definitely be in the lineup mostly full time by Big 12 play. Not knowing much about the new comers other than what read, it sounds like it's going to be a full blown battle for PG to figure out for a lineup to push the path to OKC. I do expect the lineup to settle down like last year with so much talent that it will end up with each game lineup going with the matchup with each team or pitcher that they face.
ouron

Post by ouron »

Here is my thoughts on game one lineup:

1. Boone RF
2. Jennings 2B
3. Alo LF
4. Hansen DP
5. Lyons SS
6. Coleman CF
7. Elam C
8. Johns 3b
9. Snow 1B
10. May P

Green 1st PH , Donihoo & Brito PR and stay in the game defensively.
Bahl as Closer with Trautwin to start game 2.
This is assuming a 5 inning game.

Patty will show us a different lineup as always. Go Sooners!!!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

ouron wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:52 am Here is my thoughts on game one lineup:

1. Boone RF
2. Jennings 2B
3. Alo LF
4. Hansen DP
5. Lyons SS
6. Coleman CF
7. Elam C
8. Johns 3b
9. Snow 1B
10. May P

Green 1st PH , Donihoo & Brito PR and stay in the game defensively.
Bahl as Closer with Trautwin to start game 2.
This is assuming a 5 inning game.

Patty will show us a different lineup as always. Go Sooners!!!
That is not a bad lineup to start with. While I think that Boone is going to play very well in 2022, if anyone bats leadoff other than Jennings, I would think it would be Jayda Coleman. I also think that if Alo plays in the field it may be at 1B and not the OF this season. I also think that if May starts as the pitcher, Hansen will be behind the plate.

This is my total guess at the lineup for Game 1:

Jennings 2B
Alo 1B
Hansen C
J Coleman CF
Lyons SS
Boone RF
Elam DP
Johns 3B
Donihoo LF
Trautwein P

Trautwein will pitch 3 innings with Bahl pitching the 4th and McAdoo pitching the 5th if a run rule is in order (which I think is predictable).

I think that Brito, Green, Snow, Lilio, T Coleman, Nugent, Coor will also play in the field and bat.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Oh Boy! Can I play too??

Here's my thoughts to start the season with:

1. Boone RF
2 Jennings 2B
3. Alo LF
4 Hansen C
5 Coleman CF
6 Lyons SS
7 Elam DP
8 Snow 1B
9 Johns 3B
10 May P

I think May gets 2 or 3 innings and Bahl finishes up....unless for some weird reason we don't have an 8 run lead early on...then McAdoo gets an inning or two in the middle with Bahl closing.
I'm thinking Trautwein gets the UCLA start so games 2 and 3 are pitching toss-ups. Then I think it's likely Bahl getting her first start against UCSD on Sunday.

Surprise player for 22? We all think Bahl is going to have an impressive year....and we also think Boone will take over RF...so not sure either of those are surprises....
I guess who I think might surprise us would be Brito. She seems to really be pushing everybody in the infield.
​As for freshmen.....I'm going to say the surprise might be Coor. I think she is a JC in the making and from what I read she's blazing fast

Just my thoughts...

Boomer!!
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I’ll play at this, but mine is going to be more of a “solidified lineup” that we would see more consistently once league play begins:

1. Jennings 2B
2. Alo DP
3. Hansen C or 1B
4. Johns 3B
5. Lyons SS
6. Brito 1B
7. Donihoo LF
8. Coleman CF
9. Snow RF

SP trauwein

I don’t see Alo playing Defense more than she did last year - she only posted D stats in about 15 games last year and none after the GA game, where she had a couple of miscues (not errors, but slow reaction to a short liner that dropped in front of her and a run yielding poor throw). I know this upsets folks when I say it, but our HC places a HUGE premium on defense and we are loaded with better defensive options that also bring good offensive efforts. I know Patti is working Alo a lot at 1B and OF, but I think that will be more a off-field effort to improve her skills.

Rotations:

Jennings, Coleman, Hansen (between C and 1B) will play just about every day (mid-week games possible exceptions). If Donihoo hits the way she did in the World Series, she’s going to be an everyday player. Alo will hit everyday.

I think RF, 1B and 3B may turn into the most heavily rotated positions. Especially RF. If Brita brings her bat early, I could see her playing everyday at one of these positions. 1B will be non-catching Hansen and a rotation on the days she catches.

Also SS - I think Patti will rest Grace every 3-4 games.

I think Patti and Jen will be looking for their pitching ace during Feb and Mar. who it will be (Nicole, Hope or Jordie) - anyone’s guess. But I think they are all going to get meaningful innings.

Fun exercise for a couch watcher from 700 miles east.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Question for Believer....will you be able to share your game previews with us like you did last year? or just do after game thoughts?
Have really enjoyed your all your takes on things before and after.... :)
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:09 pm Question for Believer....will you be able to share your game previews with us like you did last year? or just do after game thoughts?
Have really enjoyed your all your takes on things before and after.... :)
I am not sure that many of my pregame or pre-weekend thoughts were all that accurate to be honest. They were probably better than not reading anything, but it is not like they were spot on either. I maybe got some major themes right.

I will probably be brief as the season starts with pregame things. I will comment after games as well again. I am not sure about a pitch-by-pitch or batter-by-batter account though.

The team should be very dominant this year. They should score lots of runs with 11-12 players doing well. They should pitch well with the trio of Trautwein, May and Bahl.

Boomer Sooner!