Did BV just kick Dirt in Sarks Face?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Did BV just kick Dirt in Sarks Face?

Post by WishBone »

The Red River Rivalry between the Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners is the one game Texas can ill afford to lose in the 2024 season. If you weren’t sold on that premise, perhaps the Damonic Williams recruitment made it sink in.

Williams chose the Sooners over the Longhorns on Thursday. In the grand scheme of Texas’ playoff hopes it has as little bearing as last season’s 34-30 loss to Oklahoma did. Nevertheless, both losses should heighten the urgency of the upcoming matchup with the Sooners.

The Longhorns need to want to beat Oklahoma as much as their rival wants to beat Texas.

Head coach Steve Sarkisian understood the magnitude of an Alabama win last offseason. Thursday’s head-to-head portal loss might be the gentle reminder Sarkisian needs to prioritize Oklahoma over Georgia as he prepares his team over the summer.

Like it or not, Oklahoma head coach Brent Venables built recruiting momentum off defeating the Texas Longhorns in the Cotton Bowl. It is perhaps the only accomplishment of note for Venables in his time in Oklahoma though some would tout its 10-win season over a lesser than usual schedule. The upset win is noteworthy because of the season Texas had in 2023.

Texas’ win over Alabama had national ramifications, but the Red River Rivalry carries plenty of weight in its own right. The state of Texas, the Longhorns most fertile recruiting ground, will be watching when the team takes on Oklahoma in October.

The Red River game matters in recruiting. Former Oklahoma commit Colton Vasek flipped to Texas after the 2022 game. This offseason, Venables and company are riding the wave of an exhilarating win in the Cotton Bowl. The Longhorns need to flip the narrative in 2024.

The lowlight of Texas’ season was the highlight of Oklahoma’s in 2023. The Longhorns went on to win a conference title and make a playoff berth. The Sooners fumbled a 7-0 start before missing the Big 12 title on losses to Kansas and Oklahoma State. Still, the lowlight is carrying some weight with players in state.

Certainly, nobody credible thinks the Kansas Jayhawks or Oklahoma State Cowboys are better than the Sooners. Upsets happen. An upset happened in the Cotton Bowl. It can’t happen again in Sarkisian’s fourth season in Austin.

Oklahoma is a must-win game for Sarkisian and Texas. They will look to get the upper hand in the third meeting between Sarkisian and Venables as head coaches of the two rivals.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...OUr Defense and Gabriel's last drive heroics were the difference last year.

OUr Defense is better now and the game will depend on our punter, Jackson Arnold's performance, and the SOONERS ability to run the football. IMO

I LIKE OKLAHOMA'S CHANCES!!! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
captnop

Post by captnop »

The Kansas Game and the Aggie game highlighted the limit's of Lebby as a Play caller. Period. Even with the Refs giving the Aggies all the breaks, OU had chances to win the game and Lebby's outsmarted himself. Kansas, we get a int, and can score and win .. instead Lebby calls 2-3 plays that either lost years or had very little + yardage. As far as Texas Goes ... the Final Series DG willed OU to a win.
pippen

Post by pippen »

captnop wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:41 pm The Kansas Game and the Aggie game highlighted the limit's of Lebby as a Play caller. Period. Even with the Refs giving the Aggies all the breaks, OU had chances to win the game and Lebby's outsmarted himself. Kansas, we get a int, and can score and win .. instead Lebby calls 2-3 plays that either lost years or had very little + yardage. As far as Texas Goes ... the Final Series DG willed OU to a win.
Yep. Very reminiscent of TBOW vs. Baylor and the Aggies in THAT season.
captnop

Post by captnop »

THe only difference is that TBOW as ACTIVELY trying to loose the game... Last year I think Lebby really wanted to win, just couldn't get his head out of his you know where offensively .. Last Years OU team was the most talented he's had anywhere. For whatever reasons he seems to have games where there are times where he just can't seem to get anything going
Fly

Post by Fly »

I know we can not take much from the spring game. But our play calling was very plain Jane. I said this before, but we have always
Had a special identification in our offense style. The King installed the wishbone. When he left Gibbs kept that till Smelly came, then
Blake? When Bob came in with Leach we established a new identity. Now it seem we have lost our identity again. The thing I like about
Having our own system is this.When you play a different style offense that most teams rarely see, it give you some what of a advantage
when other teams must go up against it. You recruit players that are suited for that system.Our OL line blocking can become more consistent from play to play. That,s just my take, which means nothing. Even oh Bud was known for the Split T. Every former WINNING
SONNER Coach had there style. BV has his own defensive style. But will we on offense. I just hope BV made the right choice? We shall
see.
🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I sensed an identity from bits of the spring game

Abandoned the RPO, looked for the pass to open up. Leaned into the long ball…

Above depends on the Wr getting open and the QB placing the ball correctly

It was only about 40 percent success. So question is can you combine the above with a run game
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

The OC is great or bad according how the play works out. I look for a great season!