The Finebaum Visit

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

The Finebaum Visit

Post by WishBone »

As Oklahoma and Texas prepare to enter the SEC next season, many have wondered how they will handle the change in competition level. It’s evident taking a look at the conferences schedules they faced this past year compared to what lies ahead that the Sooners and Longhorns are in for a major challenge.

SEC Network analyst Paul Finebaum joined McElroy and Cubelic in the Morning to offer his opinion on where both teams stand in the conference heading into next season. He began by saying that he believes Texas is in a better position to compete right away given that it is coming off of an appearance in the College Football Playoff.

“I think right now, you have to say Texas (is better equipped to handle the change),” Finebaum began. “They have a bountiful of riches. I was there about a month ago and they seemed a little more in tune. I think the main reason for it was they were in the Playoffs last year and they had such a run. They did lose to Oklahoma, though.”

The Longhorns return last year’s starting quarterback Quinn Ewers and bring in a host of talented transfer receivers, including former Alabama star Isaiah Bond. They’ll also face a slightly less challenging schedule than the Sooners to start things off with Georgia being the only SEC school they will play that won more than seven games in 2023.

As for Oklahoma, the Sooners are set to play Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU and Missouri — all of which reached the 10-win mark in 2023. They also will have a freshman starting at quarterback in Jackson Arnold.

Arnold struggled in his first start in the Alamo Bowl against Arizona in December to throw three interceptions and lose a pair of fumbles. OU finished this past season 10-3 after going 6-7 in 2022.

Finebaum doesn’t expect them to come in and challenge for the conference championship right away, but he noted that the Sooners’ history will make them a threat in future years.

“I think what’s interesting about Oklahoma is they had such a bounce back year,” he said. “They feel the momentum of that. For them to get to double digits was significant. I had an opportunity to visit with Brent Venables and he’s just an enthusiastic, infectious guy when it comes to what he teaches and what he stands for.

“I know I’m gonna sound like I’m easily awed, but just walking around the trophy case at OU, it’s a reminder of the greatness of that program. The national championships, I think they’ve won six overall. Then when you see the Heisman list and you go ’17, ’18 — Baker and Kyler. You see (Sam) Bradford. You see the fact that Caleb Williams started there. It made me pause for a second and think about how great this university is. I feel like maybe I’m stating the obvious, but until you see it firsthand, it doesn’t quite register or resonate.”

We’ll have to wait and see how Oklahoma and Texas perform in their first SEC season, but it’s clear they bring a lot to the conference from a historic standpoint. As we usher in this big change to college sports, there’s plenty to look forward to.

From- On3
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

As I mentioned on another site, someone needs to educate Finebaum that Oklahoma has 7 national championships, not six!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Fly

Post by Fly »

It will not take him long to gain a little respect to what the Sooners are all about. The fans in the SEC have all way lived in
A bubble when it came to college football. I remember going down to La, to see my family. It always happened we would
Get into argument over who played the tuffest teams. Now that was when we had Nebraska, Colorado, & Missouri. Then play
Texas in those days. It will never change with there fans.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Looking forward to more SEC stuff…. Finebaum is huge in SEC football commentary and media……
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Other than being wrong on how many NC's OU has won, I can't really disagree with what Finebaum said. :horns: hired Sark a year before OU hired BV, and Sark began to rebuild both OL & DL, so they do appear to be a year or 2 ahead of OU in the roster rebuild to prepare for the SEC. They do have an experienced, successful QB returning in Ewers; they do have all the money in the world; they are the flagship university in one of, if not THE, most talent rich states in the country.

However, they've always had the talent & the money, and neither :horns: nor aggy ever seem to do much with all those structural advantages. Outside of Darrell Royal's all-white teams of the 60s & Mack Brown's run in the 2000's, :horns: have been decidedly average.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

:horns: have been decidedly average.........Ill say it "or Below!!"
ArmySooner

Post by ArmySooner »

Finebaum can go play in the street. Preferaby minè.
Echo

Post by Echo »

ArmySooner wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:47 pm Finebaum can go play in the street. Preferaby minè.
Army....so good to see you here....I have missed you muchly.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well it,s good to hear from you too Echo. Missed you as well as Army.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Army, where you been?