OU's 25 Greatest Players

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

OU's 25 Greatest Players

Post by WishBone »

Oklahoma has built one of the most successful college football programs, with seven official national championships and the same amount of Heisman Trophy winners. It takes great players to enjoy that kind of success. Here are 25 of the best players in Oklahoma Sooners' history listed chronologically.

1#1of 25Jim Weatherall, Offensive Tackle/Punter (1949-51)
Jim Weatherall, Offensive Tackle/Punter (1949-51)
University of Oklahoma
The versatile Weatherall starred on the Sooners' offensive line and was also a successful place-kicker. A two-time All-American on the offensive line for Oklahoma, Weatherall won the Outland Trophy, honoring the nation's top interior lineman, in 1951. He also converted 76 extra points in his final two seasons. Weatherall was a big reason Oklahoma posted a 31-game winning streak during his collegiate tenure and won the 1950 national championship. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1992.

I will try posting a different on Daily
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...have an uncle on my father's side whose ex-wife remarried Jim Weatherall. :cool:
She was with him until he died. Her name was Sugar.
She has passed on now too.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

#2 Billy Vessels, Halfback (1950-52
The first of seven Oklahoma Sooners to win the Heisman Trophy. Vessels took home the coveted award in 1952 when he rushed for 1,072 yards and 17 touchdowns. That came two years after he scored 15 times to help the Sooners win the 1950 national championship. A consensus All-American and College Football Hall of Famer, Vessels made a name for himself in the Canadian Football League, where he was named Most Outstanding Player in 1953.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

#3 Kurt Burris 1951-1954(Center)
Burris was such a good lineman at Oklahoma that he finished second in the 1954 Heisman Trophy voting. The All-American center was a true leader on and off the field. He commanded respect at every turn, and legendary Sooners coach Bud Wilkerson considered Burris to be one of the best players he had ever coached at any position. A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Burris played five seasons in the CFL, where he was part of two Grey Cup championship teams.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

#4 Tommy McDonald, Running Back/Flanker (1954-56)
Throughout the storied history of Oklahoma football, McDonald just might be the best athlete ever to grace the gridiron for the program. The two-time consensus All-American helped Oklahoma win back-to-back national championships in 1955 and '56 while part of the Sooners' run of 47 straight victories. McDonald spent nearly all of his college career playing running back. In his final two seasons, he totaled more than 1,500 yards on the ground and 28 touchdowns. He was also one of the team's best receivers and even threw the football when asked. In '56, McDonald won the Maxwell Award, given to the nation's top all-around performer.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I'm assuming these are in reverse order and that Jim Weatherall is actuaaly #25 on the list. Right? :cool:

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Correct Sir.I should have clarified.My Bad?
EMan

Post by EMan »

OU Chinaman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:20 pm ...I'm assuming these are in reverse order and that Jim Weatherall is actuaaly #25 on the list. Right? :cool:

The original post said, "Here are 25 of the best players in Oklahoma Sooners' history listed chronologically.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Jerry Tubbs,Center/LineBacker 1951-1954

A two-way standout, Tubbs never lost a game during his time playing football at Oklahoma, which went 31-0 over those three years. During his first varsity season in 1954, Tubbs played running back, averaging 6.1 yards per carry. The following season, Tubbs was moved to center and was among the best in the country at the position. The College Hall of Famer, All-American, and UPI Lineman of the Year (1956) was also a solid linebacker for the Sooners and intercepted three passes against rival Texas in 1955
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

EMan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 pm
OU Chinaman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:20 pm ...I'm assuming these are in reverse order and that Jim Weatherall is actuaaly #25 on the list. Right? :cool:

The original post said, "Here are 25 of the best players in Oklahoma Sooners' history listed chronologically.

...overlooked the "listed chronologically". My bad.

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

#6 Steve Owens, Running Back (1967-69)
Oklahoma's second Heisman Trophy winner, Owens still features prominently in the legacy of Sooners football. He's still the school's record holder with 57 career rushing touchdowns, and his 4,041 rushing yards are fifth most at Oklahoma. Owens won his Heisman as a senior in 1969, when he ran for 1,523 yards and 23 touchdowns — the latter is still tied for the most in school history. He was also an All-American that season and won the Walter Camp Award.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

WishBone wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:26 pm #4 Tommy McDonald, Running Back/Flanker (1954-56)
Throughout the storied history of Oklahoma football, McDonald just might be the best athlete ever to grace the gridiron for the program. The two-time consensus All-American helped Oklahoma win back-to-back national championships in 1955 and '56 while part of the Sooners' run of 47 straight victories. McDonald spent nearly all of his college career playing running back. In his final two seasons, he totaled more than 1,500 yards on the ground and 28 touchdowns. He was also one of the team's best receivers and even threw the football when asked. In '56, McDonald won the Maxwell Award, given to the nation's top all-around performer.
McDonald holds the distinction of being the only Sooner Ever to lead his team in rushing ,recieving and passing .Don't misunderstand me he led the team in rusjing one year, recieving in another season and passing in yet another season . I'm too lazy right now to dig up the stats but the year he led the Sooners in passing he went 19-27 .
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

waddy's ghost wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:03 pm
WishBone wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:26 pm #4 Tommy McDonald, Running Back/Flanker (1954-56)
McDonald holds the distinction of being the only Sooner Ever to lead his team in rushing ,recieving and passing .Don't misunderstand me he led the team in rusjing one year, recieving in another season and passing in yet another season . I'm too lazy right now to dig up the stats but the year he led the Sooners in passing he went 19-27 .
I did look up his stats after al
l1955 he was 17-24 passing ( no ints or tds) went 2-3 in the bowl game .He also caught 12 passes for 282 yds to lead the team . In 1956 he rushed for 853 yds to lead the Big 7 .
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

WishBone wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:31 pm #6 Steve Owens, Running Back (1967-69)
Oklahoma's second Heisman Trophy winner, Owens still features prominently in the legacy of Sooners football. He's still the school's record holder with 57 career rushing touchdowns, and his 4,041 rushing yards are fifth most at Oklahoma. Owens won his Heisman as a senior in 1969, when he ran for 1,523 yards and 23 touchdowns — the latter is still tied for the most in school history. He was also an All-American that season and won the Walter Camp Award.

...STEVE OWENS!
OKLAHOMA's Basher, Crasher, TD Smasher!!!
I was a sophomore at Putnam City the year he won the Heisman. At the time, it was the closest vote in the storied trophy's history and Owens narrowly edged out Mike Phipps the Purdue QB.
There was a little controversy, because Sports Illustrated splattered Steve Owens grin on its Cover late in the season. Some say that was why he won.
I remember him as a sophomore on Fairbanks 1967 team when Ron Shotts was the feature back, but most fans were talking about Owens.
Owens personified the term "workhorse".
Doubt seriously I'll EVER see again, a SOONER RB carry the rock 55 times in a game.
Won the Heisman on a 6-4 OU team that ran the old Power-I formation. (Mike Harper's whole season was blocking, leading the way for Owens)
55 years ago now. A different time and era.

One of my personal very favorite SOONER players ever. :cool:

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

One of my personal Favorites also Chinaman............ :ou:................"WORKHORSE"