Future of college football as we once knew it

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Fly

Future of college football as we once knew it

Post by Fly »

This is good! Watch it & give our thoughts!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...this change was inevitable. The NCAA knew if it was to survive it had to make a move.
Paying players has been going on for decades...now it's legal.
Personally I'm glad it's finally out in the open and now that the Universities can legally pay it's athletes perhaps some sanity can be injected into the current mess.

Like dude said,"This ain't over. NIL is still in place."

MAYBE, if the schools have players under paid contracts they will have a little leverage with changing the transfer portal. I still think that's the biggest problem anyway.
If a player sign a contract with his Univ. and there's a buyout clause attached, it could impact another school poaching him away after one season.

Clearly, college football is absolutely nothing like what I grew up with, and knew all through middle age, and I'm taking a wait & see attitude for how it evolves and how it affects the attitudes and allegiance of the fan bases.
Like the song says, "TT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!" :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Well, what is next……

I expect it may be something like the players are no longer required to be students. May or may not take a court case.

Or how about the XFL taking over “college” football? :eyes:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well a lot can come of this in the future. Will this become a minor league nfl training program. This Caleb Williams deal brought
much to light as to what maybe in store for recruiting in the future. We are talking about millions of $$$$ in signing a kid. Will
Parents be hiring agents in the future during so called recruiting season. Can you imagine a agent being present during a recruitment
visit? This could be something in the future, who can say where it may end. This maybe when I part with the fan ship I have become
to love threw out my life. Who knows what the future will have in store. I do know our country is not the same one I grew up knowing. Change is not always good as many know.

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Zgeo wrote: ↑Sun May 26, 2024 12:55 am Well, what is next……

I expect it may be something like the players are no longer required to be students. May or may not take a court case.

I think the Universities should separate the money sports from college by licensing their name/tradition to a professional entity under the condition the school can still use it’s name and likeness for intramural sports, including the same sport licensed to the profession. The fans can decide if they prefer watching the intramural sports, or the minor league pros of the same name.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Rough Rider wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 1:33 am

I think the Universities should separate the money sports from college by licensing their name/tradition to a professional entity under the condition the school can still use it’s name and likeness for intramural sports, including the same sport licensed to the profession. The fans can decide if they prefer watching the intramural sports, or the minor league pros of the same name.
Good idea….. would end the NIL idiocy, just let the athletes earn what they are worth under a salary or contract….a lot of the NIL is really from the prestige of the Historical program that picks them ….CW’s biggest win was the RRR where he was a surprise participant other than that he never won a big game in college, so what was he really worth probably equivalent to an average game manager QB in college…

:ou: :ou: :ou: :ou:
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

While this is a good idea, unfortunately, the NCAA will never mandate this. Those that choose to do this would be at a disadvantage to those that don't, in the same way NIL is working today.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Zgeo wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 8:03 am

Good idea….. would end the NIL idiocy, just let the athletes earn what they are worth under a salary or contract….a lot of the NIL is really from the prestige of the Historical program that picks them ….CW’s biggest win was the RRR where he was a surprise participant other than that he never won a big game in college, so what was he really worth probably equivalent to an average game manager QB in college…

:ou: :ou: :ou: :ou:
None of these deals are really worth it under the lens of what NIL is supposed to be. The value is the name on the front of the jersey, that value built by previous players.
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: ↑Tue May 28, 2024 8:22 am

While this is a good idea, unfortunately, the NCAA will never mandate this. Those that choose to do this would be at a disadvantage to those that don't, in the same way NIL is working today.
It will never happen, at least it will never happen the way I put it. But if it did, it wouldn’t be about advantage or disadvantage. The universities would make money off the licensing. Up to the professional entity to make money of the license they bought.

It won’t happen because there’s no way a business would buy such a license if the university can simply do essentially the same thing with the same name… and offered it more or less for free. lol

My post was more or less an abstract thought about how college football needs a full reset. Sell off what was built, and start over.
Fly

Post by Fly »

We have come a long way since the movie Rudy. Sad but true! Thank you my God, for giving me my life, threw the best time
In America! The older I grow the more I chariest that.

Brisket

Post by Brisket »

It will be interesting to see how the conflicts that this new ruling creates between the "free market capitalists" like this guy in the video & the "Title IX/equity for women's sports" all play out.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Brisket wrote: ↑Wed May 29, 2024 10:53 am It will be interesting to see how the conflicts that this new ruling creates between the "free market capitalists" like this guy in the video & the "Title IX/equity for women's sports" all play out.
The speculation i have seen is that in minor sports men’s and women’s teams will be simultaneously cut. Men’s and tennis etc…..problem is these sports cuts are minor dollars and don’t move the needle…..ultimately IMO football has to be broken away from University admin to avoid title 9 complications……such as the XFL would run Oklahoma football….

Outside of this The next shoe to drop is trans in all women’s sports so there is no women’s sports anymore….however women’s gymnastics would survive the trans issue….IMO… :eyes:
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Zgeo wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2024 11:02 pm
Brisket wrote: ↑Wed May 29, 2024 10:53 am It will be interesting to see how the conflicts that this new ruling creates between the "free market capitalists" like this guy in the video & the "Title IX/equity for women's sports" all play out.
The speculation i have seen is that in minor sports men’s and women’s teams will be simultaneously cut. Men’s and tennis etc…..problem is these sports cuts are minor dollars and don’t move the needle…..ultimately IMO football has to be broken away from University admin to avoid title 9 complications……such as the XFL would run Oklahoma football….

Outside of this The next shoe to drop is trans in all women’s sports so there is no women’s sports anymore….however women’s gymnastics would survive the trans issue….IMO… :eyes:
You're joking, right? Especially about the trans crap.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Well it is no joke. Things could change but this looks like the road we could go down. Hopefully i am a bit like the ghost of Christmas future and just pointing out what would happen without change, …. but that change happens and things dont get so bad.

However i did read that the HC of the NCAA champion of women’s basketball said she would welcome trans players. Also i did read that financial pressures from NIL and title 9 might coalesce into cutting both men’s and women’s minor sports in pairs…..

The idea of CFB going to a pro structure outside of the Universities is speculation, but if not this then something huge structurally must happen such as the SEC withdrawing from the NCAA and creating their own rules….. i just dont think the current situation has a long term future it seems fraught with inherent structural problems…

Enjoy the next 5 years….. :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Zgeo wrote: ↑Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:10 am i just dont think the current situation has a long term future it seems fraught with inherent structural problems…
Agreed. The entire landscape of college athletics is a house of cards as currently constructed. The entire thing is wrought with conflicts & discrepancies. There will undoubtedly be a flood of lawsuits over the next several years. Title IX lawsuits from female athletes over not getting paid "equitable" NIL dollars; lawsuits from some biological male trans players to be allowed to play against biological females; lawsuits from male & female athletes b/c their "minor" sports were cut so more funding could go towards paying football players.

The way the NCAA has mismanaged this entire transition process is mind-boggling. To fight tooth & nail against NIL & paying players to then just throw up their hands & allow it to be the wild west is ridiculous. They ensured their own demise by handling things this way.