Bedlam in Norman: OU Men BB hosts OSU @ 8 PM tonight in LNC-Free

Forum to discuss OU Men's Basketball
OUBeliever56A

Bedlam in Norman: OU Men BB hosts OSU @ 8 PM tonight in LNC-Free

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In Lloyd Noble Center, the 2nd edition of Bedlam for the Men's Basketball Team between OU and OSU is set for an 8 PM tipoff. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2 with Mark Neely and Fran Fraschilla on the call. Fans may also listen on the Sooner Sports Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM The Franchise in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Varsity Radio App) with Toby Rowland and Kevin Henry announcing.

After their huge win over Alabama on Saturday, the may be new life in the Sooners as they finish their first half of games in the Big 12 schedule. (OU plays OSU twice in the 1st half and Kansas State twice in the 2nd half.) The Sooners need to win each game at home and pick up one or two on the road the rest of the regular season. The Sooners really need to reach the 6th seed in the Big 12 tourney to avoid the play-in games by the 7th-10th seeds

Here is the staff writers article about the 2nd Bedlam matchup game tonight.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/1/31 ... sday-night

I think it is a bit unrealistic to believe that the Sooners can play as well tonight as they did Saturday. But they certainly can play well enough to win over Oklahoma State. One again I think there is a few things that are key to the game and victory.
  • The Sooners need to shoot well as always and they must score consistently and prevent runs of scoreless minutes against a steaky Cowboy team. Just get a bucket or two free throws every other trip down the court. Consistently. Player movement and passing efficiency is the key for the offense to score reliably.
  • Play sound defense and handle the quickness of the Cowboys inside. The Sooners need to focus on rebounding on defense every Cowboy possession.
  • Handling the matchups on defense and keeping enough scorers on the floor for OU. To me, the play of T Groves and Godwin and staying on the floor is very important tonight.
    I doubt that Sherfield and Hill can play as well as they did on Saturday, but if they can score at least 40 with a couple of other Sooners in double figures, they will score enough I think to win.
Admission is free tonight due to the weather. but do not take someone's seat that paid for them. Use judgement when you pick you seats to avoid having to move. It is a late game and the weather could turn icy during the game. Prepare for that if you go to the game.

Good luck to the sooners tonight as they try to win two in a row tonight.

Boomer Sooner!
EMan

Post by EMan »

The LNC is packed tonight! I know admission was free because of the ice storm rolling in, but the crowd showed up!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

Absolutely horrid first half performance. Looked a lot like the second half of the game in Stillwater.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Fans did their part players need to wake up in 2nd half. Not often to get new fans oit so they need something fo cheer for.

In Brent I Trust :D
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Sooners ice-cold from BTA. Can't BUY a bucket...
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
Raul

Post by Raul »

Jacob G, in particular, is really in need of a major wake up call (pine).
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

We’re getting completely dominated in every facet of the game, on our home court, by a mediocre basketball team.

I’m really starting to question the Moser hire.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Last night, a full crowd showed up. A FULL crowd. Maybe the problem with LNC is perhaps 'ticket prices' not the arena. i do not know the right ticket price, but people seem to show up when they are not $20 for the upper deck.

The game was not as planned. Not even close. Here is the staff writers article about the disappointing loss to Oklahoma State 71-61.

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/2/2/ ... -in-norman

As I said above in the pregame article. Three things were key.

1 - Shoot well. This did not happen for the Sooners. They shot 35% from the field and 23 % from three-territory. OSU did shoot well, 43% fro the field and 25% from 3-point with only 16 shots needed from downtown.

2 - Play defense and handle the OSU quickness. OSU did just about anything they wanted offensively all night. They posted up and scored. They scored off the dribble over Sooner defensive players. Scored on numerous off-ball alley-oops for dunks. Oklahoma had no answer on defense.

3 - Play well inside and keep scorers on the floor. OSU outscored OU 44 - 22 in th paint. OU did not play well inside. Boone and Cisse dominated when they were in the game on offense. OSU had 13 second chance points to OU's 2.

That is enough said. The Sooners simply cannot handle a quick, good shooting team like TCU or OSU. The matchups do not favor them. Last night Hill was trying to guard and Anderson and was just not quick enough. Uzan and Cortes was guarding a much taller player most of the night. Groves and Godwin, despite effort, were outplayed.

I did notice this night. Every OSU player that caught a pass on offense, 'looked' at the bucket. They thought 'score'. Their offense was largely inside the 3-point arc all night. Each player put pressure on the Sooner defense. BUT, OU simply does not do that. Every OU player that catches a pass is looking for the pass to a player that is usually way outside the 3-point arc. Only when the shot-clock gets under 7, does the player with the ball really look for a shot. Sherfield might be the exception to that. Uzan was better looking for a shot last night. Oweh had a moment or two. But if OU is not on a break. They look to run the offense, which does not lead to a shot usually. It is just another player catching the ball to far from the bucket. The open shots the Sooners get is a defensive lap after a screen usually. Everything else is contested late in the shot clock.

Last night was hard to watch. For a FULL crowd.

The Sooner Men need to pick themselves up and get ready to travel to West Virginia on Saturday to play a team that is still trying to win games despite their standing in the Big 12. OU is now likely buried in the bottom four teams of the Big 12 this season. They better hope they do not end up on the same sid eof the bracket with OSU and TCU or it will likely be a short tourney for them.

Good luck to the Sooner Men.

Boomer Sooner!
EMan

Post by EMan »

What a disappointing effort in front of a SRO crowd. The most disappointing aspect was they NEVER gave the crowd a chance to get into the game. They got down 6-0, and after making it 6-2, that was as close as they got the rest of the way. The Sooners never made a run. The crowd was so ready to get rowdy but OSU kept them out of the game the entire night. It’s become quite obvious OU can’t handle big athletic guys down low, so if the outside shots aren’t falling they’re in trouble.I know he knows this, but Moser has to find some athletic big men to anchor the inside.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

I'm pretty much done watching this team this year. So absolutely frustrating. How in the world do you blow out Alabama and then lay down against OSU? It's looking like the Alabama game was a performance that happened by accident and not an indicator of the talent level of this team. We just don't have the talent to match other teams in the Big12 - absolutely no difference-makers who can take the team on their backs and lead them.
Raul

Post by Raul »

With a large disparity in overall athleticism, particularly with the bigs - very, very physical play can sometimes be the equalizer. I didn’t see it much at all last night.

Even with the incredible win over Bama, I’m afraid this team is B12 cellar floor material. I hope they can somehow prove me wrong. Please prove me wrong.
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

A loss at WVU this weekend will probably keep us out of the tournament. If OU misses the tournament this year and next then it’s time for Joe C to admit it was a mistake and find a new coach.