Introducing Raegan Beers - Oregon State Transfer to the Sooners!

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Introducing Raegan Beers - Oregon State Transfer to the Sooners!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

"We're thrilled to add Raegan to our Oklahoma basketball family," Baranczyk said. "She's an incredible talent on the court and will fit in perfectly with our program on and off the floor. Raegan will add another dynamic to our team, and I know that Sooner Nation will love her!"

Yes, it is true. The Oklahoma Sooners who return all of their team except for Tucker Kennedy and Jordan Moser have added an potential game changer for the Sooners in Raegan Beers, an all-American Center, from Oregon State. Beers, a 6-4 center, comes to Oklahoma after two illustrious seasons at Oregon State and arrives in Norman as a rising junior with two years of remaining eligibility. She was tabbed as the top player in the transfer portal by The Athletic and the No. 2 transfer in the nation by ESPN after averaging 17.5 points and 10.6 rebounds per game last year for the Beavers.

Here is the announcement about the addition of Beers to the Sooner Program.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/5/1/ ... egan-beers

Here is really well done video about the Beers transfer.

Everything about this transfer really changes the landscape for OU Women's Basketball. The Sooners will be an improved team in 2024-25 simply by her presence inside.

Boomer Sooner!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Why did she go to Oregon State in the first place? Is she a "late bloomer"?
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

She was a consistent near double/double average both as a freshman and a sophomore.

I did see Oregon state had 7-8 players enter the portal this spring - coaching change, maybe?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

TN Sooner wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:58 pm She was a consistent near double/double average both as a freshman and a sophomore.

I did see Oregon state had 7-8 players enter the portal this spring - coaching change, maybe?
Thanks! I didn't realize that OR ST was ever an attractive program for women's basketball. Did she consider transferring to any of the high-ranking schools like LSU, UConn, etc?
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

inconnu wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:47 pm
TN Sooner wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:58 pm She was a consistent near double/double average both as a freshman and a sophomore.

Thanks! I didn't realize that OR ST was ever an attractive program for women's basketball. Did she consider transferring to any of the high-ranking schools like LSU, UConn, etc?
Oregon State made it to the Elite Eight this year. They had a coaching change probably because Oregon State is moving to the WCC since the PAC12 dissolved.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

That must be a pisser for Oreg. St fans and employees. I am going to be entertained by the future reactions regarding the various schools(esp usuc and ucla) having to play football in the blizzard belt!
EMan

Post by EMan »

inconnu wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:47 pm Thanks! I didn't realize that OR ST was ever an attractive program for women's basketball. Did she consider transferring to any of the high-ranking schools like LSU, UConn, etc?
Yes. It was down to OU or UConn and she chose the Sooners.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

EMan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:38 pm
inconnu wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:47 pm Thanks! I didn't realize that OR ST was ever an attractive program for women's basketball. Did she consider transferring to any of the high-ranking schools like LSU, UConn, etc?
Yes. It was down to OU or UConn and she chose the Sooners.
Impressive indeed! Maybe our women's basketball will once again be a contender! I sure was disappointed when Sherry let it disintegrate.
Maybe our women can outdraw that men's pro team in OKC?!?!?
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Jenny just hired an associate head coach from Oregon state (he had same position there), so perhaps a package deal.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

TN Sooner wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:43 pm Jenny just hired an associate head coach from Oregon state (he had same position there), so perhaps a package deal.
I'm sorta glad they're not duck people.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:43 pm Jenny just hired an associate head coach from Oregon state (he had same position there), so perhaps a package deal.
The same thought occurred to me! I'd be willing to bet that the hiring of Jonas Chatterton, the Oregon State coach influenced Raegan a bunch! Jenny just got through making a home-run hire, IMO!
Baranczyk Adds Chatterton as Associate Head Coach
May 03, 2024 | Women's Basketball

By: OU Athletics Communications

NORMAN – University of Oklahoma head women's basketball coach Jennie Baranczyk completed her coaching staff on Friday, announcing the hiring of Jonas Chatterton as associate head coach.

Chatterton, a 20-year Division I coaching veteran, comes to Norman after 10 seasons as the associate head coach at Oregon State, where he helped guide the Beavers to the best decade in program history, including appearances in the 2016 Final Four and 2024 Elite Eight. In his 20 years as a coach, Chatterton's teams have produced a cumulative record of 474-229 (.674 winning percentage).

"I could not be happier to add Jonas to our coaching staff," Baranczyk said. "We worked together at Colorado and the opportunity to work with him again is exciting. His resume speaks for itself, and I know he'll be instrumental as we head into this season and toward continued success. He's the perfect fit for our staff, team and Sooner Nation."

Baranczyk and Chatterton will share the sideline again after the two helped Colorado to national success from 2010-12 under Linda Lappe. They aided the Buffs to back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in nearly a decade and to a pair of WNIT quarterfinals.

Over his 20-year career, Chatterton's teams have appeared in 12 NCAA Tournaments, including seven in the last decade at Oregon State. While he was in Corvallis, the Beavers won 20 games seven times, winning a trio of Pac-12 regular season titles from 2015-17. With Chatterton on the bench, OSU reached four consecutive Sweet 16s from 2016-19, highlighted by a Final Four berth in 2016. In 2024, Chatterton helped the Beavers to the Elite Eight, where they fell to eventual national champion South Carolina in a tight contest. Over the last decade at Oregon State, the Beavers produced six All-Americans, one Pac-12 Player of the Year, a Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, three Pac-12 Defensive Players of the Year and 27 All-Pac 12 honorees.

Chatterton's coaching achievements have gained him national acclaim. He has twice been selected for Nike's esteemed Villa 7 Consortium, where university athletics directors and top assistant coaches convene to mentor the next generation of college basketball leaders. Only a small fraction, less than 10 percent, of women's basketball assistants nationwide from the nearly 350 Division I programs have been invited to this exclusive event over the last four years.

Before arriving in Corvallis, Chatterton was an assistant coach for three seasons at Colorado before being elevated to associate head coach in 2013. In his first two years in Boulder, he and Baranczyk aided head coach Linda Lappe to back-to-back winning seasons and a pair of WNIT quarterfinals. Over his final two years at Colorado, the Buffs won 44 games, including a 25-7 record in 2012-13 and an NCAA Tournament appearance, the program's first since 2004.

Chatterton started his Division I career as an assistant coach under Jeff Judkins at BYU, where the Utah graduate spent eight seasons. With Chatterton on staff, BYU appeared in four NCAA Tournaments, reaching the Sweet 16 in 2002. The Cougars won the 2002 Mountain West Crown, Chatterton's first of four conference championships in his coaching career.

While a student at Utah, Chatterton helped revive a once-canceled basketball program at Westminster College, serving as a men's basketball assistant coach. Before transferring to Utah, he played basketball at Rocky Mountain College in Montana.

Chatterton is the final member of back-to-back-to-back national coach of the year finalist Jennie Baranczyk's staff. Along with Baranczyk and assistant coaches Shannon Gage, Tyus Hooks, Markisha Kastantin and Michael Neal, the Sooners' coaching staff combine for 67 years of coaching experience at the Division I level.

Oklahoma, which enters the Southeastern Conference on July 1, 2024, has made the second round of the NCAA Tournament in each of Baranczyk's first three seasons and won the Big 12 regular season title in 2023 and 2024.

Chatterton has a daughter, Josie, and he and his wife, Cami, have two daughters, Celia and Jada, and a son, Hudson.

THE CHATTERTON FILE
Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah
Alma Mater: Utah (2000)

COACHING HISTORY
2014-24: Oregon State, Associate Head Coach
2013-14: Colorado, Associate Head Coach
2010-13: Colorado, Assistant Coach
2001-09: BYU, Assistant Coach
1998-2000: Westminster College, Assistant Coach

COACHING HIGHLIGHTS
• 12 NCAA Tournaments
• 2016 Final Four, 2024 Elite Eight
• Four conference championships

PLAYING EXPERIENCE
1996-97: Rocky Mountain College (Mont.)
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Holy cow, OU women's basketball has 6 total coaches! I wonder if most women's basketball programs have that many.