Thoughts about the OU Women’s BB win over Arkansas State

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Thoughts about the OU Women’s BB win over Arkansas State

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I attended my first basketball game in Lloyd Noble Center yesterday morning. As a native Oklahoman, it is probably a little late for me for me to say that, but now I have “been there and done that”. After watching the Women’s BB team play on my laptop on Tuesday in the opening game at South Dakota I was looking forward to seeing them play in person.

It was an early 10:30 AM tip off as the local schools were able to bring their students/classes to the game for free. The students certainly added to the environment in the arena. Friends said that they had never been to a game at LNC with so many people in attendance. The seats were good, and the game was no disappointment.

Arkansas State was coming off a 9-12 season in 2021 and an opening game win this season. Last year they were 9-1 before losing their last 11 games. That must have been a tough finish for them. They look to have three new freshmen (#24, #0 and #11) to provide a new look. I did think that Arkansas State was a talented, pretty good shooting team. They played fast as well. If Ark State played South Dakota the game would be interesting. I think either team could win also.

The game started off with a fast pace and never slowed down. Arkansas State did have a presence down low which had to be addressed by OU defensively and on the boards. The ability of the Sooners to push the ball up the floor after a turnover a rebound or even a made basket is superior. The vision of the two ball handling guards, Washington (#10) and Tots (#1), was on full display. A problem from game one was turnovers, especially early in the game. Yesterday, the ball was handled more securely as they dropped the turnovers from 21 to 15 which is much better.

The other issue from Tuesday’s game was the inside play for the Sooners. Yesterday, the Sooners began to show better play inside. I thought Svoboda (#33) played well inside yesterday both on offense and defense. She is learning quickly as a freshman. The starter Lampkin got in early foul trouble and was unable to get in the flow of the game. Vann (#24) offers a bit of a change of pace inside as she can move outside to shoot and provide rebounds as well. The Sooners did outrebound the Red Wolves of Arkansas State 47-36 with 20 offensive rebounds. Svoboda led the team with 9 rebounds.

The scoring was led by the threesome of Williams (#25), Robertson (#30) and Llanusa (#22) again yesterday. Williams had a very easy, quiet day with 18 points along with her 8 rebounds. Robertson had her normal good shooting game with 17 points. Llanusa continues to play well so far with 16 points while struggling from 3-point territory yesterday. Speaking of 3-point shooting, the Sooners were 9 of 33 from beyond the line. A comment I would offer about the offense is this. Yesterday there were some quick decisions to shoot the ball from outside without looking inside to the reliable Madi Williams or even one of the post players. I think they can get those shots when they want them. If they looked inside first, then if it is not there, shoot the ball things might be a little better. I would also say that Tucker (#4) was in a better flow in the second game of the year and provided some good play as well.

At halftime, I realized that the Sooners had a chance to score 100 points in the game. The Sooners led 49-40 at that point. The game felt a bit closer than that, but the Sooners seemed to be in control comfortably. The lead grew to 72-54 after 3 quarters. Arkansas State cut the lead a bit in the 4th as they scored 35 points to the 29 scored by OU but the game was never in doubt. When the Sooners surpassed the century-mark the kids in LNC raised the roof. A late whistle on a OU foul was not able to be heard at all due to the noise level in LNC. I think some of those kids will bring back their parents to a game. Maybe the teachers will also.

I am anxious to see Gabby Gregory play, when her shoulder I think it is, allows. She should give the Sooners a 10-player rotation that can play.

The women play again on Tuesday against Central Arkansas who is 1-1 after a 13-14 season in 2020-21. The game starts at 6 PM at Lloyd Noble Center. Come see the woman play. They play hard and they play well.

Oh yeah, Coach Baranczyk is doing a great job.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Staff article about OU WBB win over Arkansas State.

https://soonersports.com/news/2021/11/1 ... p-day.aspx