Notable Transfer Portal entries

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
SoonerGirl1201

Notable Transfer Portal entries

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

2 pitchers already - What are the odds OU gets one?
Washington - Ruby Meylan

Arizona State - Kylee Magee
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Another pitcher in the portal is Maddia Groff from southern Illinois. she is a lefty that was 30-5 this season as a freshman with a 1.11 ERA this season.

https://siusalukis.com/sports/softball/ ... groff/8633
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:20 am Another pitcher in the portal is Maddia Groff from southern Illinois. she is a lefty that was 30-5 this season as a freshman with a 1.11 ERA this season.

This was one I was interested in - the X post I saw indicated she and her sister (catcher) were both entering the portal - suggesting to me they were a package deal. Gave the pitchers stats, but not the catcher. I think Patty might like a pitcher and a catcher, but no idea if the catcher is worthy. The pitcher seems interesting.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Ruby Meylan.

Was never developed at Washington.

Coach Rocha will do wonders for her.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:39 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:20 am Another pitcher in the portal is Maddia Groff from southern Illinois. she is a lefty that was 30-5 this season as a freshman with a 1.11 ERA this season.

This was one I was interested in - the X post I saw indicated she and her sister (catcher) were both entering the portal - suggesting to me they were a package deal. Gave the pitchers stats, but not the catcher. I think Patty might like a pitcher and a catcher, but no idea if the catcher is worthy. The pitcher seems interesting.
The sister is Rylinn Groff who is also a freshman. She played in 45 games and batted .173 but had a .314 on-base-percentage. As a catcher, she caught five of 11 baserunners attempting to steal.

I am not sure the Sooners need a 4th catcher after 2025, but having one in 2025 would not hurt.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:39 am

From what I've seen on other sites, they are a package deal. And that's ok.
But with Hicks and Zache coming in this fall, not sure how far down the list her sister would want to be at catcher. We saw what happened to an overstocked room last year.
As for Maddia Groff, I always love lefty pitchers (like Coach Gasso), but I wonder how she would hold up to Power 5 (well, Power 4 now, I guess) hitting--especially facing off in the SEC. The Salukis did win the Missouri Valley Conference and tournament earning their way to a post season appearance in Baton Rouge. Groff did pitch a CG win over Cal (5-4) and got the save in the other Cal game (winning 3-2). But in the 2 games against LSU, she only lasted 3 innings against Berzon & Co losing 1-4, and then only lasted one inning in the final game taking the loss 0-9.
That said, she did have a great year at 30-5 and 1.11 era against MVC caliber teams. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Look at Hope Trautwein. We plucked her out of N Texas in the AAC conference, and look how she turned out.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Haha....I absolutely loved this one.

Short and direct. I'm outta here!

Don't know if she's any good....but there's no messing around with her. She's gone.
aka Crimson47
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I don't know about Groff. Taking a poor hitting catcher that is not needed to get a pitcher seems not worth the spend.

Since we do know how good some Nebraska HS pitchers can be, it is notable that Groff "holds the all-time high school career strikeout record in the state of Nebraska."
texsa sucks!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

cushcreekmont wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:55 am I don't know about Groff. Taking a poor hitting catcher that is not needed to get a pitcher seems not worth the spend.

Since we do know how good some Nebraska HS pitchers can be, it is notable that Groff "holds the all-time high school career strikeout record in the state of Nebraska."
Good to know. I was not aware of that
thanks for sharing.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

If you are around the campus this weekend. look for a tall pitcher that might drive down from Omaha to visit the Sooners!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

The story of the portal in summer 2024 might well be the former PAC migration. Clearly something is in the water at Oregon state, with most of the roster in the portal. Washington also has about half its returners already declared.

Maybe some of the left-coasters don’t want to play half the season in farm country (Big Ten) or bi-coastal (ACC).
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:32 am If you are around the campus this weekend. look for a tall pitcher that might drive down from Omaha to visit the Sooners!
Excellent.

Six foot blonde I hope.
aka Crimson47
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I have to trust Patty to wait until June to see ALL the players that portal. Ruby Meylan might be a top pick, or maybe Groff.

Portal wise based on the losses and the incoming frosh, I would guess one or two pitchers. I would HOPE a shortstop and 2nd base that can hit 300 as batting average and not a slugging one.
texsa sucks!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

cushcreekmont wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:57 am I have to trust Patty to wait until June to see ALL the players that portal. Ruby Meylan might be a top pick, or maybe Groff.

Portal wise based on the losses and the incoming frosh, I would guess one or two pitchers. I would HOPE a shortstop and 2nd base that can hit 300 as batting average and not a slugging one.
I think are about 95% sure we have at least two or three incoming freshman SS's that can hit .300 with some power and play 2B and SS well. The other one (there are four) can do that and play 3B or 1B.

Why would we pick up someone in the portal that does no more than that?
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

And don’t forget Nelly will be in that mix also. We already have a bunch of young bats reporting for duty this fall. I expect there will be 2-3 that are capable of being among top freshmen in the nation.