SOONER bats wake up...

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OU Chinaman

SOONER bats wake up...

Post by OU Chinaman »

...hopefully portending a little spark heading to the post season.
7-2 bottom of the 6th. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou:
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Yeah, WONDERFUL feeling seeing those bats wake up! I really thought that the OU coaching staff had out thought themselves by bringing Deal in for the 6th inning, who promptly loaded the bases, then when Karlie re-entered, giving up the tying 2RBI single (although those 2 runs were charged to Kierston).

Fortunately, Karlie had it under control after her teammates gave her some breathing room in the bottom of the 6th!

At least the hated Pokes can't say that they swept us!
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:15 pm ...hopefully portending a little spark heading to the post season.

:bow: :ou: :rice: :ou:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

soonerTroll2 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:39 pm
OU Chinaman wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:15 pm ...hopefully portending a little spark heading to the post season.

:bow: :ou: :rice: :ou:

...you know me sT2...NEVER SAY DIE! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

::rice2:: :dude:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I think our 2 freshmen might be our best players right now
::rice2:: :dude:
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

Great to see the freshman step up!!
EMan

Post by EMan »

The Sooners finally got a clutch hit when Coleman singled up the middle to drive home the go-ahead run right after OSU had tied it up. That got the party started for Parker to blow it open, and then Tiare with the exclamation point! We've been waiting a while for the bats to finally take over a game. Ironically, the way Keeney was pitching, if Patty hadn't taken her out it might possibly have been an 8-0 run-rule victory. But it was still a very solid win and hopefully gets the team back on track.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I posted on another thread, despite feeling they were dead yesterday, I’m still not giving up hope on #8 this year. We have won the first 3 a few different ways. In 21 we weren’t overly dominate in pitching but had really good offense. In 22 pitching improved quite a bit and offense was one of the best. People started hating us yet we lost 4 games that year. Last year was the best team I’ve ever seen. Amazing pitching and maybe even a better overall offense than the year before. At this point people really started to despise us and we only lost 1 game the whole year. Perhaps this year while starting strong and then clearly struggling a bit at times and dropping 6 games and even conf series, people are now probably really starting to believe OU won’t win again this year surely. We are vulnerable and clearly can be beaten. Perhaps this is the year we somewhat limp into post season only to kick in to all gears and come out with #4 in a row.

May not happen that way, but I’d sure like to speak it into existence. Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth if it does? :)
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:37 pm I posted on another thread, despite feeling they were dead yesterday, I’m still not giving up hope on #8 this year. We have won the first 3 a few different ways. In 21 we weren’t overly dominate in pitching but had really good offense. In 22 pitching improved quite a bit and offense was one of the best. People started hating us yet we lost 4 games that year. Last year was the best team I’ve ever seen. Amazing pitching and maybe even a better overall offense than the year before. At this point people really started to despise us and we only lost 1 game the whole year. Perhaps this year while starting strong and then clearly struggling a bit at times and dropping 6 games and even conf series, people are now probably really starting to believe OU won’t win again this year surely. We are vulnerable and clearly can be beaten. Perhaps this is the year we somewhat limp into post season only to kick in to all gears and come out with #4 in a row.

May not happen that way, but I’d sure like to speak it into existence. Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth if it does? :)
Once again, OU vs. The World! Boomer!
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

OU_Tom wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:47 pm I think our 2 freshmen might be our best players right now
They're confident, young and hungry for success, not worried about their entering the Brave New World, and not feeling like they have done it all, either...and yes, talented!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

inconnu wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:39 pm
OU_Tom wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:47 pm I think our 2 freshmen might be our best players right now
They're confident, young and hungry for success, not worried about their entering the Brave New World, and not feeling like they have done it all, either...and yes, talented!
This is exactly what I was saying in another thread---and you said it in a lot fewer words!
Thanks!
aka Crimson47
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

It was good to see the bats come through yesterday, and I'm hopeful that can be a catalyst to build momentum going into tournament play. However, I'll temper the enthusiasm by pointing out that the vast majority of the hits & damage over the weekend came against Aycock, who is clearly the Cowgirls' third best pitcher.

Against Kilfoyl, the bats did next to nothing: 4 hits & 4 walks in 7 IP (1.143 WHIP). Against an ailing Rosenberry, they did marginally better: 10 hits & 3 walks in 8.1 IP (1.56 WHIP). Agaisnt Aycock: 7 hits, 7 walks in 4.2 IP (2.999 WHIP).

Expanding this out a bit to include the series against :horns: - OU did the majority of their damage against their 3rd & 4th best pitchers as measured by WHIP, Morgan (2.31 WHIP in 4.1 IP) & Kavan (1.63 WHIP in 3.2 IP). Czech (0.5 WHIP in 6 IP) & Gutierrez (0.857 WHIP in 7 IP) completely shut down the bats.

I have 2 hypotheses about this team, and the root cause for both stems from going back-to-back-to-back.

1) Because of their experience, this team thinks they can "turn it on" for big games & come through in the clutch like they have in the past. These last few weeks have shown they cannot consistently do that.

2) This team is mentally, emotionally, and maybe physically exhausted from the last 3 years & the pressure to keep it going. The seniors kind of remind me of a great boxer who is past his prime. They try to talk & act like they still have it, and against lesser talented boxers they do; but when the time comes that they face a younger, talented, hungry fighter & they need that quickness to dodge a punch or they need that power to land a punch, they just can't do it anymore.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

The seniors and grad students aren't past their prime, since they are still athletically young, but they could be weary of the pressure, and overconfident, thinking all they need is to somehow flip on the WIN switch.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

TropicalSooner wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:42 am
inconnu wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:39 pm
This is exactly what I was saying in another thread---and you said it in a lot fewer words!
Thanks!
It was my mention of Aldous Huxley that stole the show, wasn't it?!