Dynasty? ESPN thinks so

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
Bixby_Sooner

Dynasty? ESPN thinks so

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

6 NC in 10 years, the last 3 in a row, 61-1, 53 straight wins, against arguably the most difficult schedule in program history, sounds like it to me.

I liked this article and thought I'd share.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -superteam
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
walt

Post by walt »

Patty is so great in every aspect of coaching.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Finally an article worthy of the team. But Grace Green was forgotten as a player leaving. She WAS part of the chemistry that is Oklahoma Softball.
EMan

Post by EMan »

I understand the envy/hatred for the OU softball juggernaut. I felt the same way about the UCLA basketball dynasty under Wooden, or the UConn women's basketball dominance. Shoot, I've grown beyond tired of Bama in football. And they haven't won a title for a couple of years. I get it. But I'm always reminded of one of my favorite Billy Tubbs quotes, "If you don't like it, get a better team." They say a rising tide lifts all boats, and if you're objective you can definitely see the talent level across the nation getting better and better. And quite frankly, a huge part of that is the interest OU has sparked in softball for young girls. But this dynasty (and it most definitely is a dynasty) didn't happen because HOF stadium is close to Norman. This happened because of the incredible amount of blood, sweat and tears the players put in, and the amazing talent of Patty Gasso to evaluate and recruit talent and make it fit into the bigger picture she's trying to create. Of course, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it which is what escapes many of the detractors these days. The ability to stay on top is just as hard if not harder than it is to get to the top. To have that bullseye on your back every single time you take the field. You always get everyone's best shot from their top pitcher (unless you're playing Tenn or FSU. ;) ) I don't think the casual fan understands the effort and pressure involved in trying to win when you're EXPECTED to win. And not just expected to win, but expected to dominate. I'm in awe of the teams that are able to live up to those expectations. Especially those that can do it and not lose the fun of the game that drew the players to the game to start with.

Like a lot of us, I started following OU softball the year they made their run to the title in 2000. I was always a huge baseball fan growing up (football, basketball, baseball... that was me growing up) so it was easy to gravitate to the Sooners as they made their way to the national stage. I remember listening to the Sooners on the radio through most of the early 2000's as I worked in the yard, etc since no games were on TV. I really grew to appreciate what Patty had going on. And of course, the 2013 title was incredibly enjoyable. It was the realization that all that hard work Patty was putting in was paying off.

Now, I'll also say I understand the complaints of OU playing in OKC for the title. I remember OU playing Miami, Florida St and Florida, all in Miami for national titles in football. And playing LSU in New Orleans. Or playing Kansas in KC for a basketball title. I get it. It's definitely a home-crowd advantage for OU. But if people are objective (and of course, most are NOT) they'd have to admit the current Sooner teams would win the title regardless where the games are played. 8 losses in 3 YEARS? Really? That's the mark of a team that's at the top of the food chain. But as the article says, this won't last forever. Every dynasty comes to an end, and one day OU will come back to the pack and be mortal again. But I will say, that's probably not happening next year. :D Patty has another date with ridiculous expectations to win it all. Only this time, the expectation will be even higher, which means going undefeated! Welcome to the meat grinder! I know every other school out there would like to be living in that world, but it's not as easy and fun as it might appear. That "out of the public eye" grind starting in the fall is incredibly difficult. Patty's problem is, her team makes it look almost effortless. She's a product of her own success. But as a Sooner fan, I'm really thankful for what she's built, even if I might not really appreciate what she and the team go through to get there year after year.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

When you go 61-1to post the best record in college softball history, cap it with the threepeat ,add in 53 game winning streak and 6 of the last 10 titles awarded there is no doubt this is a dynasty .It should be noted that in the last 5 full seasons OU has posted a 290-19 record (2123) 61-1 (2022)59-3 (2021) 56-4 (2019) 57-6 (2018) 57-5 . That is .939 winning % .
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

I forgot to add the comparison of the UCLA threepeat in '88-'90 which was 163-18 to OUr Sooners '21-'23 176-8.Oh yeah there is also the ongoing 53 game win streak .
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

And another subtle thing, taking nothing away from the Bruin's run, is the talent of every team is greater than it was back then....and there is more of them. With all these early softball leagues that the younger girls are taking advantage of is turning out very productive softball players. Competition will get greater.