Post by OU_Tom »

::rice2:: :dude:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

From old board by OUBeliever. Jun 8. Game 1 write up

Okay - It is a loss. A bad loss in my mind. Here is a pre-thought.

During the pregame interview with Chris Plank talked about that she had forgot or had not realized how young the team was before Thursday loss. When she realized it, she realized that she had left some things on the table and that was on her. More or less, saying the team wasn't ready because they were young and that was on her. Okay. thinking about that.

Mendes - Been there in 2017 and won. Been there in 2018, lost in semi-finals. Been there in 2019, lost in finals. Started in all.

Juarez - Been there is 2018 (I think) with Arizona State. AZ State was 0-2 in games. Been there in 2019, lost in finals. #1 Pitcher.

Saile - Been there in 2019, lost in finals. #2/3 Pitcher.

Alo - Been there in 2018, lost in semi-finals. Been there in 2019, lost in finals. Started in all.

Elam - Same as Alo but she did not play in 2018 much.

Snow and Johns - Neither have been there.

Lyons and Green - Been there in 2019, lost in finals. Started in all.

Everybody else are rookies at the World Series. That means 7 players out of the 20 had World Series experience. 13 did not. 7 starting players did not have experience in World Series.

That is a pretty good point by Coach Gasso.

- - - - -

Fast forward to the finals tonight. After the comments in the pregame, I was surprised that May started. I was surprised that Snow was at first. Not finding fault, but surprised. I would have thought we would have put as much experience out there that we could. Only Mendes, Alo and Lyons had been there.

- - - - -

On to the game itself:

I remember Coach Gasso saying when May started the Wichita State game that giving up 4 was the max they could allow because the Sooner offense could recover from that.

Tonight there were chances to remove May before 7 runs were scored. I think I heard from Plank say that Juarez was throwing and that Saile was throwing. I am not sure I understand why wait. Alabama went with a slight-of-hand move by pitching Kilfoyl and it got them beat in two games. I wonder if Juarez was sore or that she couldn't go. I wonder why not Saile? I like May for her fielding ability against Florida State, but after the HR and a couple more line drives, FSU had her number I think.

- - - - -

Again, the defense was iffy. Taylor-made double play getting no one. Then Donihoo makes a good play and gets a double play. Snow and Jennings made a couple nice plays. Coleman and Donihoo almost collide their way to a double but Coleman's height allowed her to catch the ball. Two obstruction calls at home plate. I hate the obstruction rule. (I think both calls can be questioned but probably not overturned on replay.) But if your not in front of the plate (meaning towards the pitcher) you will be called if it is critical. Elam could have just held the ball with the runner going back to 2nd on the last one. Lyons was just a bit late throwing home. You have to forget the out at 2nd and throw home as soon as the runner breaks off third. Overall we were poor with throws from the catcher spot tonight. Not something we expect.

- - - - -

Jennings just missed two big hits. Alo just missed one. Hansen just missed one.

- - - - -

Mendes was out at third. Not sure if she was sent or not. With the score at the time, maybe that was too aggressive.

Jennings was out at home, Not sure if there is she was held or sent. With the score at the time, maybe that was too aggressive.

- - - - -

Florida State took advantage of just about everything. They played better tonight and deserved the win.

- - - - -

The Sooners are in a hole again. They will need to avenge a loss again tomorrow night to even the score. I hope they are wide awake and start before the 4th inning tomorrow night. If Juarez is not having problems, she HAS to start the game for OU.

If Snow can't swing a bat effectively and OU wants Hansen behind the plate, can Green play 1B? We maybe can use her bat.

The defense has to improve. The ladies are just not playing well defensively. Maybe they are tired mentally or physically. Maybe they are putting pressure on themselves. They need to go out and have fun and just play the game. Be loose. That is all easy for me to type.

Tomorrow night at 6 PM, the Sooners need to bring their A+ Game.

( I hope the Florida State SS is okay. But there was nothing dirty at all about the play. It was good hard softball. And the runner choose to run into Elam instead of slide around her. )

Boomer Sooner!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

FSU wins game 1